• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yup, one 9.8.

There is a 9.6 that is below the Spawn price.

One 9.8 that was followed by a 9.6 which came after two other 9.6 sales from over two years ago that at the time were more than what the other books were selling for in a 9.8.  And I don't see the point of discussing the fake Spawn sale.

-J.

10 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

One 9.8 that was followed by a 9.6 which came after two other 9.6 sales from over two years ago that at the time were more than what the other books were selling for in a 9.8.  And I don't see the point of discussing the fake Spawn sale.

-J.

You said it would take more than one sale. ASM 667 has only two. Not really tipping the scales between one and two since we know nothing about the sales.

The raw was described as having a tear and a scratch. It was then described as VF/NM aside from that by the seller but had about 10 color breaking spine stresses on the back. It was maybe FINE condition. Very good return IMO.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

You said it would take more than one sale. ASM 667 has only two. Not really tipping the scales between one and two since we know nothing about the sales.

The raw was described as having a tear and a scratch. It was then described as VF/NM aside from that by the seller but had about 10 color breaking spine stresses on the back. It was maybe FINE condition. Very good return IMO.

Actually there are five graded sales I have pulled from and three raw sales. You think $1400 for that raw spawn 185 sale was good?  It was all right. The current top 5 books have all had sales of raw copies in excess of $2k, and all of them had condition issues, and all sold for what they did because they rarely come up for sale raw. A beat up raw copy of the 667 sold for $2500 three years ago.  

-J.

22 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Actually there are five graded sales I have pulled from and three raw sales. You think $1400 for that raw spawn 185 sale was good?  It was all right. The current top 5 books have all had sales of raw copies in excess of $2k, and all of them had condition issues, and all sold for what they did because they rarely come up for sale raw. A beat up raw copy of the 667 sold for $2500 three years ago.  

-J.

The 9.6 ASM 667 from 2016 are below Batman 608 current sales.

I think any Modern book that sells raw for $1,400 is astounding. Especially a 6.0. Spawn comes up as often as the ASM. Batman more often. I don't think that sale should drop it in the rankings based on its condition.

There will always be more demand for the ASM and Batman though just based on sheer number of collectors.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The 9.6 ASM 667 from 2016 are below Batman 608 current sales.

I think any Modern book that sells raw for $1,400 is astounding. Especially a 6.0. Spawn comes up as often as the ASM. Batman more often. I don't think that sale should drop it in the rankings based on its condition.

There will always be more demand for the ASM and Batman though just based on sheer number of collectors.

ASM 667 sold for a $8k in a 9.6 nine months ago.

Of course any modern comic selling for $1400 raw is phenomenal and was unthinkable even 3 years ago.  The only reason I suggested that the raw copy sale of the spawn 185 for $1400 would possibly drop it a notch was because I only raised the 185 up a notch on the last update based on that same raw copy "selling" for $3k+ before it was re-listed and sold again for the much lesser amount.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Speaking of high raw sales for modern variants.....

A raw ASM 678 VenoMJ just sold for $2600+.  :ohnoez:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/183327390005?_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&redirect=mobile

-J.

So I should call the guy who had a 9.6 one for $2600 on the wall in Frederick last month?

Somewhere in the early pages of this topic, I probably posted about how it's ridiculous for fresh comics to sell for prices higher than decades-old classics and first appearances for the same character, which I thought meant that these variant prices needed to fall.

Instead, it looks like many collectors are deciding that it is ridiculous for fresh comics to sell for prices higher than decades-old classics for the same character, BUT... the decades-old classics and first appearances prices needed to RISE.

After all, if you've got $3,000 to spend on a Wolverine comic, you can choose between a beautiful 44-year old copy of Hulk #181, the first full appearance and classic cover... and there's a 2010 variant where Wolverine puts on Deadpool's costume.

Both books have buyers, but it's pretty easy to see why the Hulk #181 is skyrocketing in comparison.

Edited by valiantman

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Somewhere in the early pages of this topic, I probably posted about how it's ridiculous for fresh comics to sell for prices higher than decades-old classics and first appearances for the same character, which I thought meant that these variant prices needed to fall.

Instead, it looks like many collectors are deciding that it is ridiculous for fresh comics to sell for prices higher than decades-old classics for the same character, BUT... the decades-old classics and first appearances prices needed to RISE.

After all, if you've got $3,000 to spend on a Wolverine comic, you can choose between a beautiful 44-year old copy of Hulk #181, the first full appearance and classic cover... and there's a 2010 variant where Wolverine puts on Deadpool's costume.

Both books have buyers, but it's pretty easy to see why the Hulk #181 is skyrocketing in comparison.

So then you admit you were wrong.  :baiting:

-J.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

That should make for a fun thread!

You certainly get style points from me for being able to reconsider preconceived notions based on ever changing and evolving market conditions.  :foryou:

-J.

I think my original point is still valid... modern variant prices were too high when you can get the key issue first appearances for about the same price.  My error was thinking modern variant prices had to fall (and soon).  It was the key issue first appearances that needed to change their prices to be more expensive relative to modern variants.  I used to say that key issue first appearances were a better choice, and I was wrong about why, but the key issue first appearances were a better choice. lol

13 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Trying to blow up the CGC boards I see.

Absolutely... did you realize the greatest investment for Wolverine in 2006 wouldn't have been the Nabisco variant or any high grade copies of Hulk #181?

The CGC board should be blown away by the fact that buying a stack of CGC 4.0 Hulk #181 would have been the absolute best profit today. lol

26 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Absolutely... did you realize the greatest investment for Wolverine in 2006 wouldn't have been the Nabisco variant or any high grade copies of Hulk #181?

The CGC board should be blown away by the fact that buying a stack of CGC 4.0 Hulk #181 would have been the absolute best profit today. lol

I think about this a lot, when I see ASM #238's or ASM 194's in 7.5 to 8.5 being sold, and a bunch of sales..... The thought has crossed my mind..... take your pick with the CA or MA..

but then there is also SA like FF #50 etc. :foryou: