• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2020 at 7:30 AM, valiantman said:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant should probably be #1 on the list, 90 pages ago --- but it's likely that no one invested in this topic has a copy, so no one is in a hurry to point it out. lol

Based on what public sales?

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
On 11/19/2020 at 9:30 AM, valiantman said:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant should probably be #1 on the list, 90 pages ago --- but it's likely that no one invested in this topic has a copy, so no one is in a hurry to point it out. lol

Expand  

Based on what public sales?

-J.

An 8.5 selling for $2,700 six years ago should have been enough.

Screenshot_20210428-225229_Chrome.thumb.jpg.901e7f7e3a090e695d07fe2a9f92c5b7.jpg

6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

It isn't.  (thumbsu

-J.

20 exist, only 6 have been CGC graded, and the most recent sale is a CGC 8.5 for $2,700 in 2015.

That book should be #1 on this list, from the very first post. 

If it's not even on the list, you should just rename the topic "Look What Jaydog Has" (as it has always been) instead of "Most Valuable Modern Variants". 

Just now, valiantman said:

20 exist, only 6 have been CGC graded, and the most recent sale is a CGC 8.5 for $2,700 in 2015.

That book should be #1 on this list, from the very first post. 

If it's not even on the list, you should just rename the topic "Look What Jaydog Has" (as it has always been) instead of "Most Valuable Modern Variants". 

The criteria for making this list are on the very first page of this post.  I refer you back to that. 

Also, I find it more than just a little bit strange how in one breath you complain about the "unlikelihood" of there being only about 200 copies of the ASM 667 Dell'otto variant (that's about all), and then in another accept without question the unverified alleged print count of that book (20?). :eyeroll:

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

The criteria for making this list are on the very first page of this post.  I refer you back to that. 

Also, I find it more than just a little bit strange how in one breath you complain about the "unlikelihood" of there being only about 200 copies of the ASM 667 Dell'otto variant (that's about all), and then in another accept without question the unverified alleged print count of that book (20?). :eyeroll:

-J.

Isn't your "supposed source" for the print run on ASM 667 Dell'Otto an "insider at Diamond"?

Why not trust public information from Diamond?

https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/733?articleID=112249

extremely rare Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant, limited to a print run of 20 total copies.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Isn't your "supposed source" for the print run on ASM 667 Dell'Otto an "insider at Diamond"?

Why not trust public information from Diamond?

https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/733?articleID=112249

extremely rare Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant, limited to a print run of 20 total copies.

Lol nice bootstrap. 

You obviously knew of the link so why not just post it in the first place? At least we now agree that Marvel had no problem with micro-print runs on variants during this era.  (thumbsu

However, doesn't change the fact that there are no public sales to justify a place on this list. I have seen copies of it offered on Ebay in the recent past with ask prices that, had they been realized, could have gotten it on the list.  But the sales were not publicly realized. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Lol nice bootstrap. 

You obviously knew of the link so why not just post it in the first place? At least we now agree that Marvel has no problem with micro-print runs during this era.  (thumbsu

However, doesn't change the fact that there are no public sales to justify a place on this list. I have seen copies of it offered on Ebay in the recent past with ask prices that, had they been realized, could have gotten it on the list.  But the sales were not publicly realized. 

-J.

GPA records public sales.  The $2,700 for a CGC 8.5 must have been public.  Your own rules say that when a book is so rarely sold that there are no 9.8, you use other labels and lower grades.  That's a BLUE CGC 8.5, arguably, the lowest possible grade for a modern book that was valuable from day one.  If the lowest possible grade sells for $2,700 and NO OTHER SALES happen in 5+ years... the book is so rare, so valuable, and so impossible to find, that it is easily #1 on this list of supposedly rare, valuable, and impossible to find variants.

Your own rules would have it #1.  You don't want it there.  You don't even want it on the list.  You have always made this topic about you and your variants.  

... and somehow, that's my fault. 

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

GPA records public sales.  The $2,700 for a CGC 8.5 must have been public.  Your own rules say that when a book is so rarely sold that there are no 9.8, you use other labels and lower grades.  That's a BLUE CGC 8.5, arguably, the lowest possible grade for a modern book that was valuable from day one.  If the lowest possible grade sells for $2,700 and NO OTHER SALES happen in 5+ years... the book is so rare, so valuable, and so impossible to find, that it is easily #1 on this list of supposedly rare, valuable, and impossible to find variants.

Your own rules would have it #1.  You don't want it there.  You don't even want it on the list.  You have always made this topic about you and your variants.  

... and somehow, that's my fault. 

My "own rules" require more than "one" sale of a book regardless of rarity.  Also, there is a recorded 8.5 of the ASM 667 Dell'otto as well.  Higher than $2700. Much higher. 

All the other claptrap in your post warrants no additional response.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

My "own rules" require more than "one" sale of a book regardless of rarity.  

All the other claptrap in your post warrants no additional response.  

-J.

Your own rules require that a rare, modern, valuable book must be NOT SO RARE so that there are not multiple sales available.  

Got it.

And this "multiple sales requirement" is nowhere in your rules, by the way.  So... that's a nice, blatant lie that everyone reading this topic can go check.  Good one! 

Now, why did you choose this week to respond to my post from FIVE MONTHS AGO, but in all those months, didn't take two seconds to Google the rarest, most valuable, modern variant of all time to find the PUBLIC print run of 20 from Diamond?

Because you are as transparent as a college freshman hyping dogecoin.

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Your own rules require that a rare, modern, valuable book must be NOT SO RARE so that there are not multiple sales available.  

Got it.

And this "multiple sales requirement" is nowhere in your rules, by the way.  So... that's a nice, blatant lie that everyone reading this topic can go check.  Good one! 

Now, why did you choose this week to respond to my post from FIVE MONTHS AGO, but in all those months, didn't take two seconds to Google the rarest, most valuable, modern variant of all time to find the PUBLIC print run of 20 from Diamond?

Because you are as transparent as a college freshman hyping dogecoin.

Read it again.  From page 1:

"In coming up with the list I gave the most weight to historical 9.8 sales. I included all label colours. Where the books are so rarely offered in that (or any) grade I factored in strength of 9.6 and down grade sales, in addition to raw sales. All closed sales used are public information (meaning I did not count private sales even if I personally knew them to be valid). Where the rankings were close I used the strength of non-9.8 sales and raw copies as a tie-breaker."

And as I said, I have seen the book offered for sale, with high asks and no public takers. It is not as though the book is NEVER offered. 

One sale of $2700 isn't enough.  Sorry. 

-J.

21 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Also, there is a recorded 8.5 of the ASM 667 Dell'otto as well.  Higher than $2700. Much higher. 

Nice edit.

Let's see this 8.5 ASM 667 Dell'Otto... looky-there August 2020 for $4,800.

Now, let's look again at the Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant CGC 8.5 that sold for $2,700 in AUGUST 2015.  That was a few months after CGC 9.6 ASM #667 Dell'Otto sold for $1,600 and before you started this topic.

So, an 8.5 sold for $2,700 but doesn't make the list, while a 9.6 for $1,600 makes the list as #1 overall... and you happen to have a copy.  How convenient.

You want multiple sales?  Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant CGC 9.8 sold for $1,000 in March 2013, right after CGC 9.8 ASM #667 Dell'Otto sold for $700.

So, not only does Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant have multiple sales, they were HIGHER than the ASM #667 Dell'Otto variant prices at the same time.

Commence backpedaling, Jaydogecoin.

Edited by valiantman

Furthermore, because 91 pages of your drivel isn't going to be overcome by one page of facts... you claim that ASM #667 Dell'Otto has only 200 copies printed... but CGC has graded 59 of them.

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant has outsold ASM #667 Dell'Otto both times it had recorded sales, so there's MORE reason to submit it to CGC... but CGC has only graded 6 of them.  Ten times fewer copies.

If you want to hang onto your 200 copies estimate for ASM #667 Dell'Otto, then not only is Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant EXACTLY where it should be with 30% already CGC-graded, just like ASM #667, but the book you won't put on the list is TEN TIMES RARER with 20 copies than the book you have at #1.

The "MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS" should be Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant in positions #1 through #20, and you should really start your self-serving list with #21.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Nice edit.

Let's see this 8.5 ASM 667 Dell'Otto... looky-there August 2020 for $4,800.

Now, let's look again at the Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant CGC 8.5 that sold for $2,700 in AUGUST 2015.  That was a few months after CGC 9.6 ASM #667 Dell'Otto sold for $1,600 and before you started this topic.

So, an 8.5 sold for $2,700 but doesn't make the list, while a 9.6 for $1,600 makes the list as #1 overall... and you happen to have a copy.  How convenient.

You want multiple sales?  Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant CGC 9.8 sold for $1,000 in March 2013, right after CGC 9.8 ASM #667 Dell'Otto sold for $700.

So, not only does Ultimate Spider-Man #1 Pichelli Sketch Variant have multiple sales, they were HIGHER than the ASM #667 Dell'Otto variant prices at the same time.

Commence backpedaling, Jaydogecoin.

This list isnt based on sales from 2013.  When updated it is based on "current" sales. While I do give some weight for past historical strength of sales, once again, a single sale of $2700 isnt enough, and a $1000 sale wouldn't even have been on the radar even when I first started  the list. 

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

This list isnt based on sales from 2013.  When updated it is based on "current" sales. While I do give some weight for past historical strength of sales, once again, a single sale of $2700 isnt enough, and a $1000 sale wouldn't even have been on the radar even when I first started  the list. 

-J.

That hole you're digging is DEEP.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

That hole you're digging is DEEP.

Nah, you just don't like the answers.

I'm not comparing sales from 8 years ago dude.   I have periodically updated the list for a reason. And if you knew anything about the modern variant market you would know that just because a book sells for $5000 in an 8.5 doesn't mean a 9.8 would sell for $50k.  Price compression is a "thing" so until more of the pie in the sky Ebay asking prices on your book are actual publicly realized sales, there is not enough data to displace many other books that actually have realized those prices publicly on multiple occasions recently.  

Sorry.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Just now, valiantman said:

Since you refuse to fix the problem, I did.  (thumbsu

:roflmao:Congratulations, you've just cemented your reputation as a troll.  Lol

And your personal favorite still wont be on this list until it actually realizes some of those Ebay asks and hits the criteria.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules