• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2021 at 12:40 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I don't know if there are pics floating around but when they were out they were discussed at length on these very boards.  An as far as the variant dump prior to that which the book was also in , somebody posted a screen shot of the book on the list.  

I would say there are at least twice as many copies printed of the book, based on the census population alone though.  700+ is a lot for a "rare" variant.  

-J.

After you had posted they actually were in said packs, I believed it but was curious to see one of these packs. Googled it but didn't see anything. 

Without any definitive evidence on either side, its anyone's guess how many or few there really are. Even if the numbers are 3k printed, that's still miniscule when compared to the standard copy. It would be nice if print run facts were always reported, rather than leaving everyone to guess. (shrug)

Edited by Timeless icons

On 10/23/2021 at 9:52 PM, Timeless icons said:

After you had posted they actually were in said packs, I believed it but was curious to see one of these packs. Googled it but didn't see anything. 

Without any definitive evidence on either side, its anyone's guess how many or few there really are. Even if the numbers are 3k printed, that's still miniscule when considering how significant the book is in comparison to most variants. It would be nice if print run facts were always reported, rather than leaving everyone to guess. (shrug)

This article from 2016 references the 5 below packs as do the comments section....

https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/07/06/variant-heat-check-7616/

-J.

On 10/24/2021 at 12:57 AM, Jaydogrules said:

This article from 2016 references the 5 below packs as do the comments section....

https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/07/06/variant-heat-check-7616/

-J.

Thanks for the link. Pulled this from their article. "The rumors that this book is part of the five below curse didn’t stop it from charging up the charts this week." One poster claimed he found one in a pack but I'll see if I can find some definitive proof somewhere. I google searched 5 below packs containing the book and haven't found a single image so if it did happen, there couldn't have been too many. If it did, someone had to have posted factual info on this somewhere. The variant purge and them being placed into those packs is believable of course. I'm just looking around to find some hard evidence somewhere but it could prove challenging. 

Edited by Timeless icons

On 10/23/2021 at 10:15 PM, Timeless icons said:

Thanks for the link. Pulled this from their article. "The rumors that this book is part of the five below curse didn’t stop it from charging up the charts this week." One poster claimed he found one in a pack but I'll see if I can find some definitive proof somewhere. I google searched 5 below packs containing the book and haven't found a single image so if it did happen, there couldn't have been too many. If it did, someone had to have posted factual info on this somewhere. The variant purge and them being placed into those packs is believable of course. I'm just looking around to find some hard evidence somewhere but it could prove challenging. 

Lol Like I said on these same boards people discussed getting them from 5 below, as they did in the comments section of that article.  Not being able to find pictures of such a thing six+ years after the fact doesn't come as much of a surprise, and the relatively large amount of slabs on the CGC census (700+) speaks for itself.  

-J.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:32 PM, valiantman said:

Since you went through the whole list and picked a book that is about $8 in a regular edition, you've basically made my point, rather than refuting it.

what about asm667? lol

On 10/23/2021 at 8:53 PM, Timeless icons said:

"Marvel 3 pack"

Yes, the hunt was fun but I never scored.

a screenshot from a gplus thread during the time of those 5below packs. heres someone's haul. distribution didnt appear to be consistent imo as I didn't get any UF4 from my 5below. I only got 1 ASM4 Ramos but about 15 of the 1:75 Elektra 1 Sienkiewicz. I bought about 30 packs. I also got some All New Marvel Now Point One 1 1st and 2nd prints. these were some great packs

Screenshot_20200622-152833_Instagram.jpg

On 10/24/2021 at 9:14 AM, peterchizzle said:
On 10/23/2021 at 7:32 PM, valiantman said:

Since you went through the whole list and picked a book that is about $8 in a regular edition, you've basically made my point, rather than refuting it.

what about asm667? lol

ASM #667 - if you're just collecting it for the story inside - will cost you about $5. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304163650737 (thumbsu

Expensive items in every collectibles market always have the potential to make future people laugh like looking back at $5,000+ beanie babies.  Is everyone sure these "Most Valuable Modern Variant" books aren't a future punchline?  I'm just not very confident in variant covers wrapped around "who cares" interiors either, when they get all the way up to new car prices.  This industry has always saved $20,000+ prices for old books with unmistakable key (first appearance) contents, or for really old books with amazing cover art and very few surviving.  New books, intentionally low printed, with unremarkable contents (no matter how attractive the cover art) just seem like shaky (and potentially humorous) reasons for that level of cost.  $200 variants and $20,000 variants are very different beanies.

So, is just a printed copy of some different artwork wrapped around and stapled to the outside of those $5 ASM #667 interior pages worth the additional price of a very decent car and more valuable than original art by the same artist?   Currently, it appears so.  Long-term? hm  

Edited by valiantman

On 10/25/2021 at 3:50 PM, valiantman said:

ASM #667 - if you're just collecting it for the story inside - will cost you about $5. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304163650737 (thumbsu

Expensive items in every collectibles market always have the potential to make future people laugh like looking back at $5,000+ beanie babies.  Is everyone sure these "Most Valuable Modern Variant" books aren't a future punchline?  I'm just not very confident in variant covers wrapped around "who cares" interiors either, when they get all the way up to new car prices.  This industry has always saved $20,000+ prices for old books with unmistakable key (first appearance) contents, or for really old books with amazing cover art and very few surviving.  New books, intentionally low printed, with unremarkable contents (no matter how attractive the cover art) just seem like shaky (and potentially humorous) reasons for that level of cost.  $200 variants and $20,000 variants are very different beanies.

So, is just a printed copy of some different artwork wrapped around and stapled to the outside of those $5 ASM #667 interior pages worth the additional price of a very decent car and more valuable than original art by the same artist?   Currently, it appears so.  Long-term? hm  

I have a love/hate relationship with that book as I purchased it for £12.99 from my local comic shop in the UK when it came out - itself, a bizarre occurrence given what we now know about it - and I then sold it some years later for £500. 

The love aspect is that, at the time, I was an ASM completist and I had that book that seemed to escape everyone else. And then, when I sold it, I clapped my hands at a £500 profit. I thought the book had peaked, and one day would be available in the £20 bin as so many other 'hot' variants before it did.

The hate comes from the fact that I got it so wrong. I should have known what would happen. I had experience. But I did not see that eventual escalation up to new car prices. I hate that I couldn't have bought a new car with the damn book that I probably (being in the UK) had no right to have picked up in the first place.

Spidey completists are the most extreme, the most focussed of all completists. Yes, I stopped, but had I been in the thick of it, had the money, and that book had turned up with a $20K price tag...? Well, who knows. There is no logic to it. Only the desire to have it and your ability to afford it. There are people in the hobby for whom $20K is nothing. They'd pay that for the bragging rights alone. And this book is now mythical. Its contents are irrelevant. Story-wise, it has little to commend it. But it's an Amazing Spider-Man book, and it's rarer than hens teeth. I can't see it ever going down now. 

Look at it. Bloody comic.

667ve.thumb.jpg.9a683fba1ffbca7b4d41e7716020f83e.jpg 667veb.thumb.jpg.ecfdbdf822aad7a96e45e05845150634.jpg

Capture.thumb.PNG.10b075889b5e029da2cdde80bf8619d5.PNG

On 10/25/2021 at 2:08 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I have a love/hate relationship with that book as I purchased it for £12.99 from my local comic shop in the UK when it came out - itself, a bizarre occurrence given what we now know about it - and I then sold it some years later for £500. 

The love aspect is that, at the time, I was an ASM completist and I had that book that seemed to escape everyone else. And then, when I sold it, I clapped my hands at a £500 profit. I thought the book had peaked, and one day would be available in the £20 bin as so many other 'hot' variants before it did.

The hate comes from the fact that I got it so wrong. I should have known what would happen. I had experience. But I did not see that eventual escalation up to new car prices. I hate that I couldn't have bought a new car with the damn book that I probably (being in the UK) had no right to have picked up in the first place.

Spidey completists are the most extreme, the most focussed of all completists. Yes, I stopped, but had I been in the thick of it, had the money, and that book had turned up with a $20K price tag...? Well, who knows. There is no logic to it. Only the desire to have it and your ability to afford it. There are people in the hobby for whom $20K is nothing. They'd pay that for the bragging rights alone. And this book is now mythical. Its contents are irrelevant. Story-wise, it has little to commend it. But it's an Amazing Spider-Man book, and it's rarer than hens teeth. I can't see it ever going down now. 

Look at it. Bloody comic.

667ve.thumb.jpg.9a683fba1ffbca7b4d41e7716020f83e.jpg 667veb.thumb.jpg.ecfdbdf822aad7a96e45e05845150634.jpg

Capture.thumb.PNG.10b075889b5e029da2cdde80bf8619d5.PNG

Not to pour salt on the wound but the last 9.8 sale of the book was for $33k+.  :tonofbricks:

-J.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:48 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Not to pour salt on the wound but the last 9.8 sale of the book was for $33k+.  :tonofbricks:

-J.

Blimey, is it that much now? I'm going to try to pretend it never happened :cry:

On 10/28/2021 at 11:38 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Not bad for a copy that would grade at a 5.0-6.0, at best.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384453534708?hash=item59833763f4:g:afkAAOSwHidhbZEE

-J.

I have somewhat more sympathy for that poor book than for its buyer. Kudos to the seller there, though, they were at least forthright about the book's problems.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, OV said:

Will there be a new top 10 thread posted here?  Or a recap?  I'm not a collector of these, but I enjoy seeing what's viewed as the most valuable modern variants.  (thumbsu

Possibly might post a truncated version in the near future.  Thee is an updated Top 20 version buried several pages back...

-J.