• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2021 at 5:34 AM, Jaydogrules said:

It actually did sell.  It showed up on 130point this morning.   - for $12k.

-J.

Hmmm...maybe these rare variants should just be released with a back issue price from the outset. 

"Deadpool # - 1, limited to 15 copies, selling for $15K each. Released on Marvel site tonight!" 

At least it would be clear from the outset...xD

On 10/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, Jaydogrules said:
On 10/21/2021 at 9:21 AM, valiantman said:

Is the Ultimate Fallout #4 NEWSSTAND edition on this list yet?

A CGC 5.0 sold for $3,000.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=54096810

cgc50uf4newsstand.thumb.png.0d5f94bcb03f96456c0bda4cc515e9c2.png

Expand  

No, because it isn't a "variant".

-J.

I think @paqart said it much better than anyone else has...

On 10/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, paqart said:

The other thing I like about newsstands is specifically that they weren't "supposed to matter". The rarity of a variant cover is artificially produced by having an intentionally limited print run. The newsstand print runs are based on how many copies the publishers thought they could sell. After that, the comic still had to survive rough handling at the store and after purchase by the customer. Therefore, I look at the rarity of newsstands as more natural, or genuine. To me, the retailer variants are fake rare, newsstands are genuine rare.

While I can appreciate that point of view concerning variants being printed with limited quantities in mind, I still prefer the variant cover. Even if numbers were exactly the same in terms of print runs and graded census copies, the newsstand copies still share the same cover as the standard prints so there's more of them. The variant cover seems more appealing, given there are far fewer of that particular cover and the cover art, to me at least, is also more appealing. Clearly, the newsstand copies are harder to come by and the gpa reflects that as prices keep climbing in all grades over previous sales. 3k for a 5.0 is quite impressive. 

On 10/22/2021 at 6:01 PM, Timeless icons said:

While I can appreciate that point of view concerning variants being printed with limited quantities in mind, I still prefer the variant cover. Even if numbers were exactly the same in terms of print runs and graded census copies, the newsstand copies still share the same cover as the standard prints so there's more of them. The variant cover seems more appealing, given there are far fewer of that particular cover and the cover art, to me at least, is also more appealing. Clearly, the newsstand copies are harder to come by and the gpa reflects that as prices keep climbing in all grades over previous sales. 3k for a 5.0 is quite impressive. 

It's fair to prefer the artwork on one cover over another, but when prices reach a certain point, you could have original art of the same (or higher) quality from the original artist for the same price as one of the dozens of copies of the printed cover.  I don't know many copies of art that sell for more than originals by the same artist, so I'm not sure about the long-term value of books which are valued that highly for cover art and not contents.  Perhaps these variants will retain their value and the price of original art will skyrocket, but it seems strange when a printed copy of cover art sells for $20,000+ and the artist doesn't charge that much for original art commissions.  Markets always have something overpriced and something underpriced, so it's always a guess what's overpriced, but I don't see $20,000+ for any modern comic with unimportant contents being a long term winner.  Maybe when it's as old as Suspense #3, it should be $20,000+ if it's that rare (and the contents don't matter), but these books aren't old enough to vote. :kidaround:

Edited by valiantman

On 10/23/2021 at 11:54 AM, valiantman said:

It's fair to prefer the artwork on one cover over another, but when prices reach a certain point, you could have original art of the same (or higher) quality from the original artist for the same price as one of the dozens of copies of the printed cover.  I don't know many copies of art that sell for more than originals by the same artist, so I'm not sure about the long-term value of books which are valued that highly for cover art and not contents.  Perhaps these variants will retain their value and the price of original art will skyrocket, but it seems strange when a printed copy of cover art sells for $20,000+ and the artist doesn't charge that much for original art commissions.  Markets always have something overpriced and something underpriced, so it's always a guess what's overpriced, but I don't see $20,000+ for any modern comic with unimportant contents being a long term winner.  Maybe when it's as old as Suspense #3, it should be $20,000+ if it's that rare (and the contents don't matter), but these books aren't old enough to vote. :kidaround:

In terms of unimportant contents, I'd have to disagree when concerning Ultimate Fallout 4 in any capacity as I think its one of the most relevant books of the modern age.:foryou:  Art has its place but far more people collect comics due to availability alone and I agree with you that the original art should exceed its comic counterparts but if my choice was getting a random OA piece from Djurdjevic or getting an incredibly low volume UF4 9.8 variant copy of the first appearance of Spider-Man (Morales), I'd go with the variant for the combination of the relevant contents and the variant cover exclusivity. Personally, I don't collect variants that much unless its an important issue to me (Young Avengers 1, UF4, World War Hulk 5, etc...) but I feel that UF4 variant and the newsstand copies as well, still have plenty of room to grow. Being a 75 year old book or being a 7 month old books isn't a factor to me (that's just my personal view) if each book is still very low in availability, then its irrelevant in my eyes as long as it's an important issue. Comichron estimated there to be roughly 1,400 copies (U.S) of the variant and for a regular spider-man book, that's insanely low but for a big key Spidey book, I think the variant/newsstands will easily maintain value. Their explaination and rationale in terms of printed figures, seems to be the best answer that I've see so far, when concerning the estimated print run on the variant but even if its over or under that figure, I'm pretty sure it isn't by much. While all books can go up or down, I don't think we're even close to seeing either of those books top out, even at these prices. Miles is a big hit with a lot of people and a lot of kids too. Kids that will grow up with him as they are right now and collectors beyond the speculator market as well. Not that this constitutes the sum of his popularity but the Spider-Verse movie was pretty decent and his character was likeable or at least to me anyway. lol 

Edited by Timeless icons

On 10/23/2021 at 12:02 PM, Timeless icons said:

In terms of unimportant contents, I'd have to disagree when concerning Ultimate Fallout 4 in any capacity as I think its one of the most relevant books of the modern age.:foryou:  

I'm pretty sure something was lost in translation here because Ultimate Fallout #4 is not unimportant contents.  It's the other books dominating this topic that are primarily rare variants of books which are worthless in terms of regular editions (due to the contents being unimportant).  Ultimate Fallout #4 is a key issue in its most common form (direct edition), it's even a key in its reprints (the ones from 2011).  Every other book in this topic, particularly those back on page one, would have a very hard time finding a place in the "important contents" discussion.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:48 PM, valiantman said:

Every other book in this topic, particularly those back on page one, would have a very hard time finding a place in the "important contents" discussion.

Went back to page 1 .. batman 608rrp, that one isn't important?

On 10/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, Timeless icons said:

incredibly low volume UF4 9.8 variant copy of the first appearance of Spider-Man (Morales),

Weren't these in the marvel 3 packs at five-below years ago?

Edited by peterchizzle
Typo

On 10/23/2021 at 7:11 PM, peterchizzle said:
On 10/23/2021 at 5:48 PM, valiantman said:

Every other book in this topic, particularly those back on page one, would have a very hard time finding a place in the "important contents" discussion.

Expand  

Since you went through the whole list and picked a book that is about $8 in a regular edition, you've basically made my point, rather than refuting it.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:48 PM, valiantman said:

I'm pretty sure something was lost in translation here because Ultimate Fallout #4 is not unimportant contents.  It's the other books dominating this topic that are primarily rare variants of books which are worthless in terms of regular editions (due to the contents being unimportant).  Ultimate Fallout #4 is a key issue in its most common form (direct edition), it's even a key in its reprints (the ones from 2011).  Every other book in this topic, particularly those back on page one, would have a very hard time finding a place in the "important contents" discussion.

You're right, I misunderstood. I thought you felt UF4 inner content wasn't relevant. In that case, I agree with you completely. (thumbsu Some of the variants do have me a bit baffled in terms of price vs substance. 

On 10/23/2021 at 8:11 PM, peterchizzle said:

Weren't these in the marvel 3 packs at five-below years ago?

"Marvel 3 pack"

Not the variant copies. Dealers were able to buy 1 copy per 25 ordered but some dealers didn't even buy 25 copies of the standard cover to even qualify. 

On 10/23/2021 at 5:53 PM, Timeless icons said:

"Marvel 3 pack"

Not the variant copies. Dealers were able to buy 1 copy per 25 ordered but some dealers didn't even buy 25 copies of the standard cover to even qualify. 

Actually yes the UF 4 variant was indeed put into 5 below packs, and that was after it was also liquidated in a diamond variant dump.  

I don't know how or why anybody thinks there are 1400 copies out there, given these circumstances and the already 700+ slabbed copies, the number is certainly much, much higher than that.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 10/23/2021 at 9:14 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Actually yes the UF 4 variant was indeed put into 5 below packs, and that was after it was also liquidated in a diamond variant dump.  

I don't know how or why anybody thinks there are 1400 copies out there, given these circumstances and the already 700+ slabbed copies, the number is certainly much, much higher than that.  

-J.

Any pics on these value packs? I never knew such packages were offered. 

https://www.comichron.com/faq/ultimatefallout4sales.html

On 10/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, Timeless icons said:

Any pics on these value packs? I never knew such packages were offered. 

https://www.comichron.com/faq/ultimatefallout4sales.html

I don't know if there are pics floating around but when they were out they were discussed at length on these very boards.  An as far as the variant dump prior to that which the book was also in , somebody posted a screen shot of the book on the list.  

I would say there are at least twice as many copies printed of the book, based on the census population alone though.  700+ is a lot for a "rare" variant.  

-J.