• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just me? Sale threads...EBay sales

330 posts in this topic

Apparently a "perfect wrap" to board buyers makes this worth $750 more than the average sales price this year. A White page copy sold for as little as $2800 and as much as $3850. Average in grade this year is about $3000. But board buyers are being treated to an offer at near the highest price ever.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9441338&gonew=1#UNREAD

At least you know the grade... :headbang:

Me? i'd take my chances with a lowball bid on the next EBay book that comes up. I'm likely to get it closer to the 3k average.

I think that was a solid price. You're going to have a very hard time paying the average price to get a copy that presents so much nicer than the average one.

Books like that are the perfect example of why I've always maintained that there should be a "production quality" qualifier to the technical grade.

Apparently a "perfect wrap" to board buyers makes this worth $750 more than the average sales price this year. A White page copy sold for as little as $2800 and as much as $3850. Average in grade this year is about $3000. But board buyers are being treated to an offer at near the highest price ever.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9441338&gonew=1#UNREAD

At least you know the grade... :headbang:

Me? i'd take my chances with a lowball bid on the next EBay book that comes up. I'm likely to get it closer to the 3k average.

I think that was a solid price. You're going to have a very hard time paying the average price to get a copy that presents so much nicer than the average one.

Books like that are the perfect example of why I've always maintained that there should be a "production quality" qualifier to the technical grade.

That slab needs a CVA sticker.

Every now and then credit is due for outstanding customer service.

I have desperately been looking for a Four Color 202 in Fine or better, Nearly impossible.

I saw this book and , frankly, I could not see the picture well enough to see much. I won the auction fort about $7 and got the book a few days later. It was horrible, maybe G or G/VG.

It was such a small amount that I debated whether to do anything.

I finally sent the guy an e-mail and said something like: Not sure your experience but there seem to be significant differences between Overstreet and received book grade. I thought I'd see what your explanation might be.

He e-mailed back very quickly and said I know exactly what book you are talking about and it was never better than G/VG. We must have made a mistake. Keep the book I am refunding purchase and shipping. He probably made a copy and paste mistake , which I also have been guilty of.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122013994839

Point I guess is: I buy from sellers all the time with great feedback and still I return a good deal of books that I know did not make the cut. When I see a guy say they get great deals and great books, I have no doubt they feel that way. But if those books were ever to get graded, they might find out very quickly that the grades are bloated, either by design or accident.

The primary point of this post: To add insult to injury, over graded or not, the comics are then set at prices that are ridiculous even if the book was graded properly (as in the examples shown here with many CGC books).

While I have been accused of wasting time (possibly a true accusation) I suppose that maybe I can awaken a more activist mentality among buyers. If more buyers actually challenged prices that are ridiculous, maybe sellers would eventually make some changes. hm

If that was directed at my previous comment, it is unfounded. I've been collecting, buying and selling since the early 70's so I do know a thing or three.

If you're unhappy with purchases & returning a lot of books it's possible you don't know what you're doing.

You should only bid or buy books with large scans or from reputable sellers. Bidding on books with poor pics is foolish and if you do, just consider it a gamble and hope for the best.

I have desperately been looking for a Four Color 202 in Fine or better, Nearly impossible.

I saw this book and , frankly, I could not see the picture well enough to see much. I won the auction fort about $7 and got the book a few days later. It was horrible, maybe G or G/VG.

I finally sent the guy an e-mail and said something like: Not sure your experience but there seem to be significant differences between Overstreet and received book grade. I thought I'd see what your explanation might be.

He e-mailed back very quickly and said I know exactly what book you are talking about and it was never better than G/VG. We must have made a mistake. Keep the book I am refunding purchase and shipping. He probably made a copy and paste mistake , which I also have been guilty of.

Point I guess is: I buy from sellers all the time with great feedback and still I return a good deal of books that I know did not make the cut. When I see a guy say they get great deals and great books, I have no doubt they feel that way. But if those books were ever to get graded, they might find out very quickly that the grades are bloated, either by design or accident.

The primary point of this post: To add insult to injury, over graded or not, the comics are then set at prices that are ridiculous even if the book was graded properly (as in the examples shown here with many CGC books).

While I have been accused of wasting time (possibly a true accusation) I suppose that maybe I can awaken a more activist mentality among buyers. If more buyers actually challenged prices that are ridiculous, maybe sellers would eventually make some changes. hm

If that was directed at my previous comment, it is unfounded. I've been collecting, buying and selling since the early 70's so I do know a thing or three.

If you're unhappy with purchases & returning a lot of books it's possible you don't know what you're doing.

You should only bid or buy books with large scans or from reputable sellers. Bidding on books with poor pics is foolish and if you do, just consider it a gamble and hope for the best.

I will take gambles like that on occasion, but will only pull the trigger or bid up to a certain below the normal price for that grade. I will pay as if the book is 2 or even 3 grades lower than the seller has stated. I have gotten a few bargains that way. Worse case, I got a lower graded book, and more or less the correct price.

That listing has huge scans with a magnifying glass feature on the scans that allows you to zoom in at 400% magnification, and you spent $6.75 for it. The book isn't in Fine. It can be seen from the giant scans - you've already spent $6.75 in your time.

You are correct. Unfortunately I was on vacation and had only my smart phone which does not give me the benefit of scan size that my desktop would. BTW, I have spent considerably more than 6.75 worth of my time.

Comparing my 544 posts to your 34K+ posts, I don't think trying to assign value to posting time as a rationale exercise. Of course my primary goal in these forums is not to make sales or advertise. When a topic hits my fancy, it's just like a personal blog where I can do a little thinking out loud.

I've never had to return a book because I look closely at scans, and if I agree with the condition, I pay what I think is fair. If you're so picky that you "still return a great deal of books," your eBay name would be appreciated. You sound like the type of buyer I try to avoid.

How you were able to not see that the FC 202 was not close to a FN copy from the scans the seller posted in the auction is pretty astounding.

All you had to do, prior to clicking to hitting the BIN icon was to click on the multiple, high quality scans of the book.

The seller included FC,BC scans and even a scan of an interior page....clicking on them popped up high res images.I could see that the book was nowjere near a FN, even when viewing the listing on my cell phone.

Looks like a 2.5/3.0 book to me....the seller told you he made a mistake in the auction title and refunded your money, letting you keep the book.

You wasted time on this buy, but you did get the book for free.

The last 9.6 with white pages sold for $3350 so make that a $400 premium. Previous 9.6 with white pages sold for $3850.

Not sure why you are throwing this board seller under the bus.

To show how great Ebay is?

4gemworks strikes me as a guy who loves to complain about sellers, whenever he is given the opportunity.

The boardie has sold the ASM 129 in question.I'd read that as the seller and buyer agreed on a fair price for the book i.e. 4gemworks has shown again that he is well off base.

Based on a search under 4gemwork's completed eBay listings, I'd say that he likes to waste his time, when it comes to selling books as well:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/4gemworks/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_since=15&_sop=13&_rdc=1

The last 9.6 with white pages sold for $3350 so make that a $400 premium. Previous 9.6 with white pages sold for $3850.

I included the SINGLE sale of this book at $3850. I also mentioned the other White page book at $2800. Average was 3k this year and much lower last year. This is not an illiquid book either, with 7 sales this year alone, not including signature, etc..My question is: What is the purpose of forum selling: To squeeze the highest possible price out of the books you sell here? I always though that your fellow boardies might expect to get a small break, at least. How about the 10% they are saving by not using Ebay, ComicLink or God forbid the 10-30% you might pay on Heritage?

Ebay provides the fastest liquidity with the most amount of unknowns and variance. I am not touting EBay. I would say that for most people, Ebay probably provides the least hassle and best prices for buyer and seller when sold in auction format. Of course your expectations have to be set right. Ungraded stuff typically goes for 20-40% of guide unless it's really hot.

What I am curios about is how some (not all) sellers come up with these incredible prices that they want to sell stuff for in non auction forums.

Anyway, I have now spent enough time here for the week and will retreat back to my real world of work, which by the way, pays considerably more than 6.75 an hour.

BTW Bob, I have bought a number of items from you off your website over the years and have been very pleased. Posted prices are reasonable to start with and still you always negotiate and make it very easy. If more sellers were like you...

Not trying to argue but the $2800 sale was an offwhite/white page copy.

Previously a offwhite/white pages copy has sold for $3705

White page copies have sold for $3350, $3800 and $3325..

There are buyers who pay a premium for white pages.

90 day average is $3330, 12 month is $3000.

I could see a white page copy selling for $3500. Seller did very well getting $3750.

I included the SINGLE sale of this book at $3850. I also mentioned the other White page book at $2800. Average was 3k this year and much lower last year. This is not an illiquid book either, with 7 sales this year alone, not including signature, etc..My question is: What is the purpose of forum selling: To squeeze the highest possible price out of the books you sell here? I always though that your fellow boardies might expect to get a small break, at least. How about the 10% they are saving by not using Ebay, ComicLink or God forbid the 10-30% you might pay on Heritage?

Ebay provides the fastest liquidity with the most amount of unknowns and variance. I am not touting EBay. I would say that for most people, Ebay probably provides the least hassle and best prices for buyer and seller when sold in auction format. Of course your expectations have to be set right. Ungraded stuff typically goes for 20-40% of guide unless it's really hot.

What I am curios about is how some (not all) sellers come up with these incredible prices that they want to sell stuff for in non auction forums.

Anyway, I have now spent enough time here for the week and will retreat back to my real world of work, which by the way, pays considerably more than 6.75 an hour.

BTW Bob, I have bought a number of items from you off your website over the years and have been very pleased. Posted prices are reasonable to start with and still you always negotiate and make it very easy. If more sellers were like you...

As for selling here on the boards with premiums vs discounts, lets take a look at some reasons some people might SELL and BUY for more, and see if you think its reasonable.

Would you pay a premium to buy from an established dealer or someone you know vs a complete internet stranger?

the same uncertainties that haunt sellers on ebay often also apply to buyers on ebay. You don't know who you're giving your money to, or how trustworthy they are on the 'bay. It's not perfect here, but often (not always) its easier to communicate and gauge professionalism and get more pictures, make returns, and buy multiple items or make 'deals'. Not to mention some purchases might put you in line for future discounts or in line to get quicker access to other books you might want. These things can happen on ebay too I guess, but it works 'here' better and easier IMO. Its also much easier to arrange alternate terms here, like paying in installments, meeting up at con later, cheaper international shipping (than the 'bay), trades, etc.

Also don't forget that the price might be based at least somewhat on the purchase cost price.

There is some additional value to buying here vs other venues, and in some cases that value translates into premium prices paid. Nothing wrong with that.

The seller has a nice book and has priced it at a slight premium, hardly an "incredible price". Prices would never increase if sellers didn't push the price envelope and we've seen prices increasing on hot books for years. It also gives the seller room to negotiate and still sell at a good price. I don't think it's fair to call out this seller.

Regarding your comments about selling on the forum, I agree, it would be nice if people passed on some of $$ they're saving by avoiding an auction format but to most this hobby is now all about the money and most want to net every penny possible.

I want to add that I have sold my old sneakers for more than I have paid for them.

Another pair just sold about a half hour ago.

Clearly I am destroying the old sneaker aftermarket.

Now to those that wanted my old sneakers and thought that the price was too high. I am sorry for your butthurt. However the price they sold for was the price I was willing to let them go at.

Anything less than that they could continue to sit in my closet unworn since I did not find them comfortable.

You make more than $6.75 an hour??? LUCKY!

I want to add that I have sold my old sneakers for more than I have paid for them.

Is that considered to be a capital gain for tax purposes and will you be declaring it on your income taxes for this year? lol

Is that considered to be a capital gain for tax purposes and will you be declaring it on your income taxes for this year? lol

They don't ask for full descriptions of condition on the tax forms for clothes.

Thank god