• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,393 posts in this topic

Got a shipment in from a friend today from America. Lots of goodies, including some cool Transformers stuff (G2 Mirage, Origins Bumblebee, another Dying Ironhide and Prowl pack because they were on clearance in his area) and these beauties. NECA's TMNT set sculpted by Paul Harding, and McFarlane's DC Universe Catman. Pity Catman worked out to be so expensive, I would have loved to have been able to afford another one or two, but I'm happy with the one. 

20231108_144534.thumb.jpg.2da07ea884c804fc9da8fa390053b3d8.jpg20231108_144543.thumb.jpg.823d83b5ad906f17644a2d6305b6c703.jpg20231108_144551.thumb.jpg.18d224fb13b8c3412ec826aced3fd9d0.jpg

On 11/9/2023 at 8:32 AM, F For Fake said:

Plastic crack adjacent: I've slowly been trying to accumulate various mags featuring Aliens, including toy mags with cover stories. This one had been on my eBay alert list for at least a couple of years, and last week, boom, it popped it, and for TWO BUCKS. Swiftest BIN I've ever hit! Showed up last night, and it's a trip down memory lane. In those collecting days of pre/early internet, photo guides like these were absolutely essential to finishing up a collection, as you couldn't just hop online and grab a checklist like you can now. This issue is a bit later, but the thought is still the same, as is the nostalgia.

IMG_6512.JPG

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6514.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

I used to love Tomart's and Lee's back in those days. I was bummed when they were cancelled. I remember there wasn't even an announcement or anything. They both just faded away.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:49 AM, Dave2739 said:

I used to love Tomart's and Lee's back in those days. I was bummed when they were cancelled. I remember there wasn't even an announcement or anything. They both just faded away.

They were the best! You know I wasn't sure what ever happened to either mag, as I sort of lost touch once everything started to move online. As it got easier to find information I needed, I moved away from the physical mags. The irony now, of course, is that I'm looking for the mags, and they're hard to find!

On 11/9/2023 at 8:56 AM, F For Fake said:

They were the best! You know I wasn't sure what ever happened to either mag, as I sort of lost touch once everything started to move online. As it got easier to find information I needed, I moved away from the physical mags. The irony now, of course, is that I'm looking for the mags, and they're hard to find!

And boxes of them are heavy, so unfortunately I got rid of 99% of mine long ago. I think I still have an issue of Lee's and an issue of ToyFare. I had a subscription at my LCS for them. The later issues started coming out less and less frequently until finally...nothing.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:59 AM, Dave2739 said:

And boxes of them are heavy, so unfortunately I got rid of 99% of mine long ago. I think I still have an issue of Lee's and an issue of ToyFare. I had a subscription at my LCS for them. The later issues started coming out less and less frequently until finally...nothing.

Yeah that was exactly the same for me, I kept them for years to have as reference, but eventually I didn't need the reference anymore, and they were taking up space, so I dumped them. And unfortunately they're not the sort of thing that a lot of stores kept or sold as back issues, so while they may not be worth much of anything, they don't turn up often, as least not around here.  That's so odd about the way they petered out, you would have thought there would be a last hurrah of some kind.

On 11/9/2023 at 9:01 AM, F For Fake said:

Yeah that was exactly the same for me, I kept them for years to have as reference, but eventually I didn't need the reference anymore, and they were taking up space, so I dumped them. And unfortunately they're not the sort of thing that a lot of stores kept or sold as back issues, so while they may not be worth much of anything, they don't turn up often, as least not around here.  That's so odd about the way they petered out, you would have thought there would be a last hurrah of some kind.

Are you gonna start working on your CGC 9.8 White Pages run of Tomart's now? :nyah:

On 11/9/2023 at 9:06 AM, Dave2739 said:

Are you gonna start working on your CGC 9.8 White Pages run of Tomart's now? :nyah:

hm

For my lego friends here.

I don't know if you check your email, but Bricklink was recently hijacked by a cyberattack that locked everyone out.  The marketplace was locked for a few days.  While the site eventually regained control, some user information may have been compromised.  

Just a heads up. 

On 11/12/2023 at 5:35 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

They made a BTS set and are currently considering a Taylor Swift set.  Obviously whoever made this set is a fan just for the fact that they made it.  However this looks like Phish crossed with the Allman Brothers.   First of all there are only four members in Phish.  I also do not see Paige nor his keyboards.  I see Trey and Fishman is behind the drums... but no Paige with his keyboards or Gordan on bass.

Really wish there was a Ross near me lol 

Those that know what has been going on with Hasbro know that Ross has been their dumping ground for everything in the last full year.  Imagine GI Joe Classifieds for $2-5 each. 

On 11/11/2023 at 3:31 PM, Namtak said:

Found those today at dollorama.good to find those cheap!

20231111_151951.jpg

20231111_152007.jpg

20231111_152030.jpg

20231111_152041.jpg

20231111_152113.jpg

20231111_152835.jpg

20231111_152911.jpg

20231111_152952.jpg

I really loved that Marvel Retro line, they were exactly the toys I wanted when I was a kid. Wish they hadn't discontinued it, but I guess the market is small for such a thing.

On 11/12/2023 at 7:16 PM, Buzzetta said:

Really wish there was a Ross near me lol 

Those that know what has been going on with Hasbro know that Ross has been their dumping ground for everything in the last full year.  Imagine GI Joe Classifieds for $2-5 each. 

I have yet to dig up any GI Joe Classifieds or Transformers, but I did score some Marvel Legends this weekend. I know people have been finding crazy TF stuff at Ross/Ollies/Burlington, like all of the formerly impossible to find Walmart Velocitron stuff (Cosmos, Crasher, Shadow Strip) and Target Exclusives like Tonkanator, not to mention Titans like the Ark. Lots of great stuff floating around, but I haven't seen it here. This weekend we were at our place at the lake, and drove out to a nearby town and hit up all of their closeout stores. There's a strip mall in Owensboro that has Ross, Burlington, Gabe's, Bealls, all lined up in a row, and there's an Ollies not too terribly far away. Didn't turn up any Joes or TF's, but I did manage to grab most of the Legends Controller wave. I'm just short Thor, which I DID find at Burlington, but some jerk had removed the Controller pieces. I also passed on Iron Man because he never included a BAF piece, and I don't care about various Iron Man armors.

Also grabbed this retro Falcon. Passed on retro Loki at Ross for $5.99, probably should have grabbed him. 

Happy hunting! Lots of good stuff floating around this time of year!

Edit: for those wondering on Legends pricing while hunting, Ross was $5.99, Burlington $7.99, and Ollies $7.99 to $9.99 depending on the series. Ollies is still absolutely swimming in Eternals, Dr. Strange 2, X-Men AOA 2, and Black Panther 2 stuff that is never going to sell, been gathering dust for some time. But you can also find some newer things that have recently dropped like X-Men Bonebreaker Wave and Controller Wave. 

IMG_6536.JPG

Edited by F For Fake

On 11/12/2023 at 7:16 PM, Buzzetta said:

They seem to dump it to all of the discount stores.  In my area you can find dumped Hasbro stuff at Ollies, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, and Ross.

I recently visited all of the Marshalls in my region because they had dumped their failed Starting Lineup NBA figures to Marshalls.  I bought four of the eight they made from Hasbro Pulse, but my son really likes the figures and wanted me to get the rest so I went looking for them at Marshalls.  Found one among four stores, but that was it.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 11/13/2023 at 9:20 AM, fantastic_four said:

They seem to dump it to all of the discount stores.  In my area you can find dumped Hasbro stuff at Ollies, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, and Ross.

I recently visited all of the Marshalls in my region because they had dumped their failed Starting Lineup NBA figures to Marshalls.  I bought four of the eight they made from Hasbro Pulse, but he wanted me to get the rest so I went looking for them at Marshalls.  Found one among four stores, but that was it.

It's gotten to the point where I'm hesitating to pay retail for TF stuff, because for at least the last three or four years, eventually everything has shown up at Ross/Ollies/Burlington/etc. You just never know what you might find. 

You can get two-thirds of most figure lines on sale, clearance at major retail, or clearance at discount retail.  The trick is identifying the third that will never make it to clearance.  With Marvel as an example it's the popularity of the character, although there can be other factors as well.  So in general you usually won't see Spidey, Iron Man, Captain America, etc at clearance unless it's a low-popularity variant costume they're wearing.