• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

Based on this criteria, One Direction are an A+++++ list musical group, while The Velvet Underground wouldn`t be allowed to even work as their roadies.

Michael Bay would be considered one of the greatest directors in history, while Woody Allen, who`s never made a $100 million film, should still be working as a joke writer.

Really?

Obviously talent and critical reception are, as someone pointed out earlier, the third prong in the equation of what constitutes an A-lister. My point was merely that artistic merit was not the SOLE component, as some are making it out to be (stated quite explicitly a few posts ago by buyatari).

Remember, this whole discussion started because I said that John Romita was an unquestionable A-lister and that ASM #121, being both the more important/popular/iconic/memorable cover, should be worth more than ST #1. I never said that John Romita had equal to or better artistic skills than Wrightson, only that Adams, Wrightson and Romita were all A-listers, as validated by the majority of fans and the marketplace. Assessing/ranking artistic ability to me is not the same exercise as determining who is an A-list artist. 2c

The price of art often fails to track with the quality of the art so the prices paid for Romita Marvel superhero pages just proves they are expensive.

I think we clearly have different opinions on what constitutes "being on the A-list" in comic art. To you, it seems to be strictly a talent competition, whereas I view the validation by the fan base and the dollars put to work in the marketplace that ultimately count. To me, talent alone does not get you on the A-list in comic art any more than it does in music or film or fine art. 2c

If we're strictly judging talent, then maybe Romita isn't in the pantheon with the biggest names and instead is heading up the second tier. But, in terms of popularity and collectability, I think Romita is a solid A-lister, ahead of some who many would deem to be superior talents.

Based on this criteria, One Direction are an A+++++ list musical group, while The Velvet Underground wouldn`t be allowed to even work as their roadies.

Michael Bay would be considered one of the greatest directors in history, while Woody Allen, who`s never made a $100 million film, should still be working as a joke writer.

Really?

Don't forget Bieber.!

Also, the film and music (e.g., Michael Bay & One Direction) comparisons are a bit inexact, because it costs the same to see a Michael Bay movie or buy a One Direction album than it does to buy any other director's/musician's output. A more relevant analogy would be the fine art world. A lot of people may not be fans of Damien Hirst, Richard Prince and Jeff Koons (or, at the very least, believe there are more talented & deserving artists out there) and yet, they are all unquestionably A-listers in the eyes of the art world and, especially, the marketplace. 2c

I've said it before and I'll say it again, regardless of your personal preferences, the 4 Pillars of the Silver Age Marvel Universe are:

Jack Kirby

Steve Ditko

John Romita

John Buscema

You can debate which tier they belong to until you're blue in the face, but it won't change their importance, contribution, quality of artwork. No amount of attempted revisionist B.S. from the nattering nabobs of negativity will ever change that. :sumo:

And if I was doing a Mount Rushmore of marvel magazine cover artists, I'd legitimately have to include Boris and no amount of negativity re shirtless Boris mullets can change that. :gossip:

As long as Earl Norem and Bob Larkin are there, you go girl!

Of course! Plus Neal Adams rounds out the four.

bv_bor10.jpg

Also, the film and music (e.g., Michael Bay & One Direction) comparisons are a bit inexact, because it costs the same to see a Michael Bay movie or buy a One Direction album than it does to buy any other director's/musician's output. A more relevant analogy would be the fine art world. A lot of people may not be fans of Damien Hirst, Richard Prince and Jeff Koons (or, at the very least, believe there are more talented & deserving artists out there) and yet, they are all unquestionably A-listers in the eyes of the art world and, especially, the marketplace. 2c

I'd say we are on the horns of a dilemma

bv_048.jpg

^ that was worth it for the amount of google searching I made you have to do :insane:

No time at all - the first site I chose had all of the Boris paintings listed by year, so I just went to "1987" and picked out more atrocities examples from the same series. My eyes! My eyes! :facepalm::ohnoez:

Lest we forget he has some very nice works too (shrug)

Sure - I love his '70s and early '80s work. SSOC #7, Tales of the Zombie #1, etc...great stuff. Unfortunately, it's tough to find anything in his oeuvre that I like past 1984, though.

Now how about the three best Bieber songs? hm

He only has one song that I'll listen to ("Beauty and a Beat") - it was co-written by superstar EDM artist Zedd, which pretty much automatically makes it OK in my book. :sumo:

^ that was worth it for the amount of google searching I made you have to do :insane:

No time at all - the first site I chose had all of the Boris paintings listed by year, so I just went to "1987" and picked out more atrocities examples from the same series. My eyes! My eyes! :facepalm::ohnoez:

Lest we forget he has some very nice works too (shrug)

Sure - I love his '70s and early '80s work. SSOC #7, Tales of the Zombie #1, etc...great stuff. Unfortunately, it's tough to find anything in his oeuvre that I like past 1984, though.

I actually like the stuff 2000 and forward quite a bit if you can look past the absence of spandex heroes and don't mind a little cheese. The 90s were a little long on the mullets but who here didn't sport one back then? I know I did.

7ec8bd48fca89eb6674552b82b9bafe9.jpg

I like Boris' earlier work better too but still a fan of one or two things in the 1990s like:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1009238

:)

As a proud owner of several 90s boris and julies, I'd say yours lacks in mullets and there isn't a shirtless man to be found, but the IM and FFF power combo (thumbs u gives your piece 5 stars!

I like Boris' earlier work better too but still a fan of one or two things in the 1990s like:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1009238

:)

Here's one of mine for comparison. The mullet force is strong in my piece, but sadly they aren't fully shirtless. However, I think you'll agree the neon light sword makes up for it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=320061

lol okay, sure, but its not like he had a monopoly on the ridiculous in the 90s :insane: He just started the party a couple years early.

Yabba Dabba Doom indeed lol

(google tells me that was actually this tool's catch phrase).

753510.jpg

lol okay, sure, but its not like he had a monopoly on the ridiculous in the 90s :insane: He just started the party a couple years early.

Yabba Dabba Doom indeed lol

(google tells me that was actually this tool's catch phrase).

753510.jpg

The artist with the number 1 or 2 best selling comic book of all time. Better add Liefeld to the list.

The artist with the number 1 or 2 best selling comic book of all time. Better add Liefeld to the list.

At the height of his popularity, Rob Liefeld was a rock star and unquestionably on comicdom's A-list.

I don't think too many here will argue that he has since fallen off, though.

Still, it's better to be a has-been than a never-was. :idea:

C'mon now Gene (tsk) anyone that draws thigh high metal leggings with no underwear is an A-lister in my book

I'm not familiar with the character or book, but, if you study her costume, I think she's meant to be wearing dental floss (cut ultra-high) as opposed to going commando. :blush: