• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

C'mon now Gene (tsk) anyone that draws thigh high metal leggings with no underwear is an A-lister in my book

I'm not familiar with the character or book, but I think she's meant to be wearing dental floss as opposed to going commando. :blush:

Good point, although I think he accidentally on purpose hid any suggestion of dental floss in this side view to give a few 13 year old boys a half chub and move a few more units. hm

How about asking Craig?

(But I do think that if you zoom in real close you can see it's a bikini type of costume.)

Bummer. There goes my chub.

Hmm, a shame they cancelled Robot Chicken; would've loved to pitch them a sketch where Nerd Boy gets to have sex with such a character only to basically kill her due to her ridiculous anatomy. The closing shot would've been on Nerd Boy all covered in blood whimpering and crying. Or maybe we discover it's just a dream and at the end of the sketch he wakes up and says "eh, still worth it". Debating what's more satiric.

Obviously talent and critical reception are, as someone pointed out earlier, the third prong in the equation of what constitutes an A-lister. My point was merely that artistic merit was not the SOLE component, as some are making it out to be (stated quite explicitly a few posts ago by buyatari).

There have to be artists that you would consider A list artists that didn't sell mega millions.

I'm not privy to print runs but I'd imagine that most if not all Dave Stevens books didn't see huge print runs. Do you consider Dave Stevens an A list artist?

Obviously talent and critical reception are, as someone pointed out earlier, the third prong in the equation of what constitutes an A-lister. My point was merely that artistic merit was not the SOLE component, as some are making it out to be (stated quite explicitly a few posts ago by buyatari).

There have to be artists that you would consider A list artists that didn't sell mega millions.

I'm not privy to print runs but I'd imagine that most if not all Dave Stevens books didn't see huge print runs. Do you consider Dave Stevens an A list artist?

Frank Brunner

Of course, no one would dispute that Dave Stevens was an top-tier talent. I would say that, on the basis of his overall popularity/appeal (despite not selling mega millions of copies), critical reception and validation in the marketplace (re: very high prices for his better material), that, yes, he is an A-lister. But, guess what - if his Rocketeer pages were selling for $500 and his covers for $5,000, I'd say no, he wouldn't qualify. He'd just be a very popular and immensely talented niche artist in that case. I wouldn't call him a "B-lister" in that event, but I don't think that "A-lister" would be the appropriate term for someone with that profile.

So, selling millions of copies is not a pre-requisite, and neither is it a necessary-but-not-sufficient condition IMO. But, neither is pure talent alone. Case in point, Frank Brunner, who is not an A-lister in my book. He's a very talented artist, and some of his best work is downright beautiful and can fetch a good, but not spectacular, amount of money. But, like I said, talent alone does not get you on the A-list. He doesn't have the mass popularity and critical appeal of a Kirby or the niche appeal but critical reception and marketplace validation of a Stevens, so I would say his overall profile doesn't quite make it.

Obviously, this is an inexact science...not everyone's list is going to look exactly the same.

Of course, no one would dispute that Dave Stevens was an top-tier talent. I would say that, on the basis of his overall popularity/appeal (despite not selling mega millions of copies), critical reception and validation in the marketplace (re: very high prices for his better material), that, yes, he is an A-lister. But, guess what - if his Rocketeer pages were selling for $500 and his covers for $5,000, I'd say no, he wouldn't qualify. He'd just be a very popular and immensely talented niche artist in that case. I wouldn't call him a "B-lister" in that event, but I don't think that "A-lister" would be the appropriate term for someone with that profile.

So, selling millions of copies is not a pre-requisite, and neither is it a necessary-but-not-sufficient condition IMO. But, neither is pure talent alone. Case in point, Frank Brunner, who is not an A-lister in my book. He's a very talented artist, and some of his best work is downright beautiful and can fetch a good, but not spectacular, amount of money. But, like I said, talent alone does not get you on the A-list. He doesn't have the mass popularity and critical appeal of a Kirby or the niche appeal but critical reception and marketplace validation of a Stevens, so I would say his overall profile doesn't quite make it.

Obviously, this is an inexact science...not everyone's list is going to look exactly the same.

When someone spends 6 figures on a Romita cover how much is for Romita and how much for Spider-Man? When we see near 6 figures for later issue Spider-Man covers done by artists you personally have ranked lower on the chain then the answer seems obvious to me. The artist isn't as important as you sometimes make it out to be. See the ending price of the Spider-Man vs Wolverine cover for a good example.

^ Adam, you're on fire today ;)

The trouble with Gene's definition is that its circular. "The most famous artists are the most famous ones." Mkay, well, that much is obvious, but replace Romita on that ASM run with someone equally capable and the price for the ASM 65 cover doesn't change one iota. The price for Romita's work does (when you take away the spidey association) but the ASM covers would be coveted regardless of who drew them as long as they weren't terribly drawn.

Replace Ringo Starr and you still got a band ;)

Have someone else draw the Rocketeer and none of us would have even heard of it.

How about asking Craig?

(But I do think that if you zoom in real close you can see it's a bikini type of costume.)

Bummer. There goes my chub.

Hmm, a shame they cancelled Robot Chicken; would've loved to pitch them a sketch where Nerd Boy gets to have sex with such a character only to basically kill her due to her ridiculous anatomy. The closing shot would've been on Nerd Boy all covered in blood whimpering and crying. Or maybe we discover it's just a dream and at the end of the sketch he wakes up and says "eh, still worth it". Debating what's more satiric.

Er not sure where you read this. Robot Chicken was renewed for a 9th season last month and they are also doing a Walking Dead special...

IMHO

The high prices achieved for vintage artwork is

- artist name recognition 25%

- nostalgia 75%

Cheers!

N.

and 75% of the artist's name recognition is based on nostalgia!

IMHO

The high prices achieved for vintage artwork is

- artist name recognition 25%

- nostalgia 75%

Cheers!

N.

and 75% of the artist's name recognition is based on nostalgia!

I'll give Gene this, the more I collect art the more I realize its all about something he mentioned a long time ago. Context, context, context. None of these guys amount to a hill of beans in terms of fame and value and such without the right context. Work on shampoo illustrations and you're a bum, work on Captain America and you're a legend.

Some artists can survive being stripped of their context a little better than most (Stevens as an example). Romita is not that guy. Many well known artists are not that guy.

Frank Brunner

I bought some OA from a Brunner comic I had never heard of just because I thought the artwork and the style were especially eye catching. But I would not have paid as much for it as I would pay (and have paid) for lesser art that was more influential culturally, more famous or from a comic I remembered reading as a kid.

Er not sure where you read this. Robot Chicken was renewed for a 9th season last month and they are also doing a Walking Dead special...

doh!:tonofbricks: Just assumed based on the season's final episode; I admit I didn't bother confirming it.

I guess the question now is who's going to give me Seth Green's phone?

doh!:tonofbricks: Just assumed based on the season's final episode; I admit I didn't bother confirming it.

I guess the question now is who's going to give me Seth Green's phone?

(818) 333-8600, alternatively feel free to reach his manager at (310) 573-7554