• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

Boris Vallejo for sure.

The best art analogy for John Romita is Renoir. Easy on the eyes, widely respected by the layman/general public, definitely enjoyed by all young viewers. But, over time, as connoisseurs grow to appreciate more edgy, innovative and challenging art (or more dynamic and stylistic in the case of comic art), some have come down to look down upon Romita's work as being simplistic and not groundbreaking, and Renoir's as being saccharine to the point of inducing vomiting. But, still, I would say - and the marketplace agrees with me - that both Renoir and Romita are on the A-list despite their detractors who are a minority, if an educated/thoughtful one. 2c

I've always found Romita to be an excellent craftsman/draftsman, but everything is always in place and consistent, it gets a bit boring for me to look at as much as I can appreciate it.

I agree with that. There's very little dynamism. The few where he pulls off a dynamic look (asm 69? Iirc w/kingpin) are his best efforts.

You might say he's the Boris Vallejo of comic art ;) ... Good capable ilustrator but some obvious deficiencies

Bronty - I'm pretty sure you are in the minority view on Romita.

The minority's bigger than some might have expected, though.

Boris Vallejo for sure.

The best art analogy for John Romita is Renoir. Easy on the eyes, widely respected by the layman/general public, definitely enjoyed by all young viewers. But, over time, as connoisseurs grow to appreciate more edgy, innovative and challenging art (or more dynamic and stylistic in the case of comic art), some have come down to look down upon Romita's work as being simplistic and not groundbreaking, and Renoir's as being saccharine to the point of inducing vomiting. But, still, I would say - and the marketplace agrees with me - that both Renoir and Romita are on the A-list despite their detractors who are a minority, if an educated/thoughtful one. 2c

The price of art often fails to track with the quality of the art so the prices paid for Romita Marvel superhero pages just proves they are expensive.

Boris Vallejo for sure.

It's a good comparison. Renoir is my least favorite of the Major Impressionists so I would put him on the B list too.

And who else is in the 2nd Tier with Romita?

John Buscema.

I knew that was coming from you. It's like I should be credited with an assist. :insane:

I'm too predictable! :(

The price of art often fails to track with the quality of the art so the prices paid for Romita Marvel superhero pages just proves they are expensive.

I think we clearly have different opinions on what constitutes "being on the A-list" in comic art. To you, it seems to be strictly a talent competition, whereas I view the validation by the fan base and the dollars put to work in the marketplace that ultimately count. To me, talent alone does not get you on the A-list in comic art any more than it does in music or film or fine art. 2c

If we're strictly judging talent, then maybe Romita isn't in the pantheon with the biggest names and instead is heading up the second tier. But, in terms of popularity and collectability, I think Romita is a solid A-lister, ahead of some who many would deem to be superior talents.

I think we clearly have different opinions on what constitutes "being on the A-list" in comic art. To you, it seems to be strictly a talent competition, whereas I view the validation by the fan base and the dollars put to work in the marketplace that ultimately count. To me, talent alone does not get you on the A-list in comic art any more than it does in music or film or fine art. 2c

If we're strictly judging talent, then maybe Romita isn't in the pantheon with the biggest names and instead is heading up the second tier. But, in terms of popularity and collectability, I think Romita is a solid A-lister, ahead of some who many would deem to be superior talents.

I don't consider someone a great actor because they do great box office. I would call them a great box office star but only assess them for acting based on how they acted.

Romita is a 2nd Tier artist whose work is in high demand and that is reflected in the high prices paid for it.

Swamp Thing #1 cover scan is up. Looks beautiful, better than I thought it would look in OA form. Still don't think it should be worth more than my previously opined $150-$180K valuation range, though, as I just don't think it's a significant enough piece to merit higher than that. But, of course, you never know what two people are going to do.

Romita and Buscema are single-handedly responsible for the marvel look post Kirby. I cant put the guys who defined the bronze age as "2nd tier".

I will say this, if you are opening this up to 70s too...I would put Mike Kaluta on any list of greatest comic artists of all time.

I don't consider someone a great actor because they do great box office. I would call them a great box office star but only assess them for acting based on how they acted.

Romita is a 2nd Tier artist whose work is in high demand and that is reflected in the high prices paid for it.

The classic debate. Art snobs versus tastes of the popular culture.

Pop culture will alwayswin this debate.

Who cares if Spider-mans anatomy is not perfect.

It's Spider-man !

That Swampthing cover is absolutely gorgeous. This is a big time cover, and worth whatever crazy price it goes for. I had it pegged for a 200k floor when I heard about it, and I see nothing that changes that opinion. This is THE Wrightson Swampthing art to get. If I was in a position to be a buyer at these prices, and you had the ST 1 cover and the HOS 92 cover at the same price, I'd go ST 1 all day and every day. Pretty much zero interest in HOS 92 cover for me.

And don't get me started on Romita v Buscema...

Scott

Ringo is the greatest. John Lennon even wrote a song about the greatness that is Ringo. He's also the handsomest living Beatle and is married to a Bond Girl, in addition to being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist, as well as a Beatle. So there.

Is John Lennon a "mediocre talent" on Earth 3 or the Bizarro World?

Romita Sr. is top tier. His Spider-Man artwork has been used for merchandising by Marvel for 50 years. It is about as iconic as it gets. He drew some of the best Spider-Man comics ever and his artwork is a vital component to those books.

That Swampthing cover is absolutely gorgeous. This is a big time cover, and worth whatever crazy price it goes for. I had it pegged for a 200k floor when I heard about it, and I see nothing that changes that opinion. This is THE Wrightson Swampthing art to get. If I was in a position to be a buyer at these prices, and you had the ST 1 cover and the HOS 92 cover at the same price, I'd go ST 1 all day and every day. Pretty much zero interest in HOS 92 cover for me.

And don't get me started on Romita v Buscema...

Scott

It looks great! I was worried the backgrounds wouldn't be full inks from looking at the published cover.

I should have never let myself be swayed (thumbs u

I recant my recant! :insane:

What do you think of the special series 2 Scott?