• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

I'm just throwing names out there, without a criteria, it's difficult. Is it about draftsmanship, character creation, working on people's favorite storylines, visual innovations, inventing new costumes etc?

And who else is in the 2nd Tier with Romita?

Bob brown (maybe C)

Jack Sparling

Ayers

I can't tell if you're serious or not?

I'm joking, obviously Romita is far superior, it was just to bring up criteria, although Heck I was bringing up as an example of someone who was there in early formative years, but isn't the draftsman of Romita.

In all seriousness, I always considered John Buscema to be the dividing line between the A-list and the B-list of Marvel artists active in the '60s through the early '80s. In my mind, Big John is either the last "A" name or at the top of the "B" pile (followed by Gil Kane). And, I always considered John Romita to be one notch ahead of J. Buscema on the list, so he was always A-list for me. 2c

In all seriousness, I always considered John Buscema to be the dividing line between the A-list and the B-list of Marvel artists active in the '60s through the early '80s. In my mind, Big John is either the last "A" name or at the top of the "B" pile (followed by Gil Kane). And, I always considered John Romita to be one notch ahead of J. Buscema on the list, so he was always A-list for me. 2c

We are no longer friends.

:insane:

Scott

We are no longer friends.

:insane:

Scott

He hasn't even revealed his inker list yet....stick around.

Well this is a discussion I never thought I'd see on the CGC boards. Ranking Silver Age artists is really uncharted territory around here. doh!

Here's a few off the top of my head

Kirby

Ditko

Colan

Steranko

Appreciate the list, but I was specifically asking Bronty because he doesn't believe Romita is a top tier silver age artist. So Id like to know who he considers a top tier silver age artist.

I've always found Romita to be an excellent craftsman/draftsman, but everything is always in place and consistent, it gets a bit boring for me to look at as much as I can appreciate it.

I agree with that. There's very little dynamism. The few where he pulls off a dynamic look (asm 69? Iirc w/kingpin) are his best efforts.

You might say he's the Boris Vallejo of comic art ;) ... Good capable illustrator but some obvious deficiencies

I've always found Romita to be an excellent craftsman/draftsman, but everything is always in place and consistent, it gets a bit boring for me to look at as much as I can appreciate it.

I agree with that. There's very little dynamism. The few where he pulls off a dynamic look (asm 69? Iirc w/kingpin) are his best efforts.

You might say he's the Boris Vallejo of comic art ;) ... Good capable ilustrator but some obvious deficiencies

Sweet Lord!

You might say he's the Boris Vallejo of comic art ;) ... Good capable ilustrator but some obvious deficiencies

Bronty - I'm pretty sure you are in the minority view on Romita.

Sweet Lord!

I believe the piece was simply entitled Jesus Christ (not Sweet Lord). 1969 so quite early for Boris.

18lv38reh5r73jpg.jpg

Bronty - I'm pretty sure you are in the minority view on Romita.

I have him placed too high in the pantheon? :(

Here's a few off the top of my head

Kirby

Ditko

Colan

Steranko

Appreciate the list, but I was specifically asking Bronty because he doesn't believe Romita is a top tier silver age artist. So Id like to know who he considers a top tier silver age artist.

Boris Vallejo for sure.

Other than that my list is not that different, although I don't believe in "A, B, C" tiers like this is a grade school report card or something. That said I personally hold all of these in higher regard and this is off the cuff, I'm sure I'm forgetting several others:

Robert Crumb.

Kirby.

Steranko.

Joe Kubert.

Steve Ditko.

Gil Kane.

I also don't think its necessary to limit the list to "silver age" because early silver age Jack is doing everything, late 60s there's a vacuum, and early 70s it gets filled with all sorts of talents like wrightson and adams that I would put above romita, personally, as well.

I don't see the Boris correlation either.

To me Romita is what every company at that time would want if looking for a staff artist. He does solid work and doesn't rock the boat. As a child this is the type of work I liked best and expected to see. Today I still think it is good work but I don't consider it genius.

For me Boris seems to overreach. Totally different .

I don't see the Boris correlation either.

To me Romita is what every company at that time would want if looking for a staff artist. He does solid work and doesn't rock the boat. As a child this is the type of work I liked best and expected to see. Today I still think it is good work but I don't consider it genius.

For me Boris seems to overreach. Totally different .

Precisely. Romita is great if you are 8 years old. And if you are 8 years old you think Boris is the finest painter ever.

And then you age a little and see that both have skill but both have their deficiencies. Wasn't trying to say they have the same deficiencies, they don't, and I like the way you delineated what they are, btw.

I also 110% agree on your view of romita as being the good staff artist that didn't rock the boat - which is precisely why he was made art director, I'm sure. Bill Everett could draw circles around him but who wants an art director who drinks and can't meet deadlines? You need a good employee in that position, not necessarily a great artist.

(A coach doesn't have to be a former star player!)