• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, bellrules said:

Any pics? I’ve never seen such a beast.

This is the one I know of. I didn't know it existed until I saw it in a shop last week... however, it wasn't in the best shape and was a bit over priced, so I passed on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-the-killing-joke-6th-print/282938618475?hash=item41e074b26b:g:x8wAAOSwoDFa360e

2 hours ago, BishopT said:

This is the one I know of. I didn't know it existed until I saw it in a shop last week... however, it wasn't in the best shape and was a bit over priced, so I passed on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-the-killing-joke-6th-print/282938618475?hash=item41e074b26b:g:x8wAAOSwoDFa360e

Those were almost certainly not sold on actual newsstands, but were made by special request from the booksellers of the time period, who had been sticking UPC stickers on the books before. You wouldn't have seen these...especially a "suggested for mature readers" book...on sale at your local 7-11, grocery store, or news vendor.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Those were almost certainly not sold on actual newsstands, but were made by special request from the booksellers of the time period, who had been sticking UPC stickers on the books before. You wouldn't have seen these...especially a "suggested for mature readers" book...on sale at your local 7-11, grocery store, or news vendor.

So not newsstands, right? What are they then? Just odd variants to random stores, or are they bootlegs even?

Edited by BishopT

2 minutes ago, BishopT said:

So not newsstands, right? What are they then? Just odd variants to random stores, or are they bootlegs even?

They're not newsstands in the traditional sense, but they were distributed through newsstand channels. Trades and prestige format books worked differently than regular, standard format comics. They're not bootlegs, no.

So can I just put some random UPC sticker on a copper book that’s for mature audiences and viola “newsstand”!

i had in a collection 4 copies of Killing Joke 1st print with a stick on them

in my opinion sticker = not a newsstand and worth less money 

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

So can I just put some random UPC sticker on a copper book that’s for mature audiences and viola “newsstand”!

i had in a collection 4 copies of Killing Joke 1st print with a stick on them

in my opinion sticker = not a newsstand and worth less money 

That's correct. But the KJ 6th print referenced above was printed with a UPC on the front cover.

And of course, anyone with a UPC scanner from 1989 might be able to tell that your sticker doesn't match the product.

:D

29 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's correct. But the KJ 6th print referenced above was printed with a UPC on the front cover.

And of course, anyone with a UPC scanner from 1989 might be able to tell that your sticker doesn't match the product.

:D

(thumbsu

20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hey cool!! :) Congrats!

Thanks to you and @RockMyAmadeus and @fastballspecial I now know that one edition posted above is called a "Pressman", I had to google it lol I knew the wolverine Jim Lee came with the Board game

I didn't know that the other's did too, nor that they called them "Pressman"! :foryou: 

Anyway, Thanks!

Mine came with a coupon for Uncanny X-Men 297. Still have it...

30 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

None of those Legends are rare. They all look in good shape and the 141 will get you $10-15 in good shape. 
The other two are worth a few $ each in good shape.

The problem with Marvel Legend books are they are very difficult to find in NM grade. 

Gotcha!  Thanks for the insight.    Overall a fun haul for me.   Need to figure out what I want to sell off.