• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Creepy movie! Think you're going to get that asking price though?:wishluck:

No...lol.  

I see the only other copy is a CGC 9.6 for like $150 or something.  I have best offer so we'll see what happens.  I wouldn't mind just keeping it truthfully lol

15 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Always thought that was the Newsstand. Even MCS has it listed as such with the Direct Edition UPC.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=amazing+spider-man+400&pubid=&PubRng=

Everybody does who sell it on ebay for some reason. I mean the direct edition label is right there on the front cover and they still call it a newsstand.

3 hours ago, gradejunky said:

found this bad boy in the $1 box locally a couple weeks ago.  Might have seen it when it first came out but don't remember.  Anyhow, I never see it in the wild:

590616ace3410_devilsRejects_1_9.4_fr.thumb.jpg.def693b87f93828d60367af54d128a21.jpg

Ive had found one and only one copy. Zombie's Spookshow books are almost as hard to find. Especially the last issues and con variants.

I found my copy in a hole in the wall shop in TN many years ago. Never seen a copy since. There is also a Con Edition(3 editions) that I am unsure if its harder or easier to find. Right now its even with 3 copies of both, but no copies of the other 2 Con variants. Very tough book to find.

Edited by fastballspecial

49 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Everybody does who sell it on ebay for some reason. I mean the direct edition label is right there on the front cover and they still call it a newsstand.

Many people have a bad habit of using "newsstand" to describe regular editions of issues that had enhanced covers. Ironically, the actual newsstand edition in most of those cases had the enhanced cover.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Many people have a bad habit of using "newsstand" to describe regular editions of issues that had enhanced covers. Ironically, the actual newsstand edition in most of those cases had the enhanced cover.

Interesting, can you give another example?

Edited by Hado

23 hours ago, Philflound said:

Just picked up Youngblood V2 #1 newsstand along with Cyberforce #1,2, Maxx #1, Shadowhawk #4 with the Savage Dragon on the cover, Spawn #12, 14, 16, 17, 39, 75, 79, 112, Medieval Spawn / Witchblade #3, and Spawn Bible #1. Cleaned house of all these awesome newsstands for $1.20 or less.

Spawn Bible direct edition is not that easy to find. A newsstand edition is a great find. Congratulations! 

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I have have seen this as well. I believe it is older comic sellers getting confused by modern direct books, because they have barcodes. 

6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Found this one awhile back. Its not super hard to find, but nobody selling it seems to identify it right. I thought this was an alternative Bagley Artwork variant. Ive seen it called Newsstand variant(See the Direct Edition on the front!), and a 2nd print. Anyone clear this up?

asm400.jpg

Described as Standard Cover on CCL, not newsstand. I find CCL more useful at times than MCS, especially for hard to find small press indies. I'm finally going through my collection seeing what I'm missing and sometimes can't find a title from the 1980s or 1990s on MCS at all.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/item/4d2ce4db-79d5-4022-a650-c13dd87e16a5/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-400-Standard-Cover

1 minute ago, Hado said:
1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Interesting, can you give an example?

An example of newsstands with enhanced covers? I actually posted a bit about a similar subject (because Doktor had the same problem distinguishing between newsstand, regular and enhanced) not that long ago.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/405476-variants/?do=findComment&comment=9531871

I know the Spider-Man titles sent enhanced editions to newsstands in the 90s, because that's where I got most of them. ASM 388, 390, 394, 400, Spider-Man 46, 50, 51, 57, etc. So those are the first and most obvious examples that come to mind for me.

Image is the only publisher that I know consistently distributed only regular editions via the newsstand system. They even went so far as to create non-enhanced versions specifically for newsstand distribution, as seen recently in this thread.

Actually, after a quick check, it appears that DC was more averse to distributing enhanced covers through the newsstand than I thought/remembered.

31 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

An example of newsstands with enhanced covers? I actually posted a bit about a similar subject (because Doktor had the same problem distinguishing between newsstand, regular and enhanced) not that long ago.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/405476-variants/?do=findComment&comment=9531871

I know the Spider-Man titles sent enhanced editions to newsstands in the 90s, because that's where I got most of them. ASM 388, 390, 394, 400, Spider-Man 46, 50, 51, 57, etc. So those are the first and most obvious examples that come to mind for me.

Image is the only publisher that I know consistently distributed only regular editions via the newsstand system. They even went so far as to create non-enhanced versions specifically for newsstand distribution, as seen recently in this thread.

Actually, after a quick check, it appears that DC was more averse to distributing enhanced covers through the newsstand than I thought/remembered.

Cool! Thank you for the link. 

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Funny enough you answered my follow up question about the Marvel 'Deluxe' editions in your exchange with Doctor as well.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:04 PM, fastballspecial said:

The 58 eludes me to this day. 60 I have found twice. Its like that 58 just doesn't exist for me. :o(

Same here. Have pulled three copies of 60 out of 50 cent/$1 bins in the last year or so, never found a 58.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:45 AM, Davidone said:

I have been hunting them for a while now. I'm only collecting the 1st issues, keys and issues that had huge cover variations like Wildcats #2. I don't have the room for full runs. From my experience, they all seem to be equal in scarcity. I'm still missing a few but I have seen them all (except Youngblood, I don't think it exists.) This may not be true for later issues. You can find them because not many people are looking. Of the first issues, Deathblow 1 may possibly be one of the toughest. It has such an extreme variation, that people notice. The real rarity is finding any of them in 9.2+ condition. The Maxx 1 has been the toughest for me. The all black cover is a newsstand nightmare. I cannot find a copy over 8.5. Shadowhawk 1 has the same problem. I was very lucky finding a nice one of those.

Image newsstands are a lot of fun to collect. They're tough enough to find to be challenging, but usually cheap enough (because they're usually tossed in with other Image drek) that they're generally not expensive to chase. I pick them up in nice shape anytime I see them, and yet I still don't have that many.