• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, BishopT said:

That's pretty much it. It was the first copy I'd ever even seen in person, and it's such an oddball cover, pretty great for bragging rights. The store I got it from just got in 80 long boxes of random bronze/copper age books and they put out some later Alf issues, which caused me to ask if he had seen the #48 seal cover. He said he and his main supplier actually found two of these in that one collection and kind of nerded out over it. He did a great job in ensuring my loyalty as a customer, as this is a book he could have easily just not have sold in store and marked up for eBay. This is a book I'll have a hard time wanting to sell down the line, it's just gonna be tucked away in my PC.

I've never even seen one in person....nice find!  I also was quite lucky this past week as I found not one, but two copies of Archie #271 AKA the infamous "pearl necklace" issue.  Couldn't believe it....especially since they were in junk bins and were $.50 each.  The books themselves might grade a 7 or 7.5, but the best thing is that the puzzles in the books are untouched --there are two of them---a word game and a maze puzzle.  Feel very lucky indeed.....

I recently picked up Grant Morrison's first published Superman story (also his first DC work) online for around $5, hardcover in VG condition. Waid's first Action Comics and Slott's first Spider-man story (in Ren and Stimpy) are similarly cheap but not something I see at most shops or convention booths.

If I ran a shop that was going to be at SDCC, I'd probably have some of those things in limited bulk quantities. I guess there's not a strong market for first character/creator pairings. But I can see the demand for that being created.

Found a few comics I've never seen in the wild before for a buck a piece the other night... Bloodshot #51, Eternal Warrior #50, X O Manowar #68. They had a bunch more later Valiant and early Acclaim/Valiant comics (including the early Quantum and Woody keys, but those have never been hard to find for me around here). I was really hoping to find the Bloodshot Last Stand book that I've never seen before either, as well as the 3rd volume of Shadowman, but no luck. Also found another WildCATS #2 newsstand.

12 hours ago, BishopT said:

Found a few comics I've never seen in the wild before for a buck a piece the other night... Bloodshot #51, Eternal Warrior #50, X O Manowar #68. They had a bunch more later Valiant and early Acclaim/Valiant comics (including the early Quantum and Woody keys, but those have never been hard to find for me around here). I was really hoping to find the Bloodshot Last Stand book that I've never seen before either, as well as the 3rd volume of Shadowman, but no luck. Also found another WildCATS #2 newsstand.

The Shadowman V3 books are very tough especially the last issue. I never have a problem selling that book. The one book that has eluded me is the Glow in the Dark Shadowman V2 16 and V3 6 is very difficult to find. I think I have only found 2 of V3 6.

EW 50 is a fun find, but no one really wants it and I hate that because I love EW.

BS 51 is tough and I love the cover as well as XO, but you can find them.

13 hours ago, BishopT said:

At Lexington COmic Con a couple of weeks ago I picked out several very sharp late Valiant/Acclaim books, final issues of Bloodshot, Solar, etc, for a buck a piece. Also managed to pull three copies of the WildC.A.T.s 2 newsstand, also for a buck each. Not common, but the books are out there if you're willing to dig, for sure.

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

At Lexington COmic Con a couple of weeks ago I picked out several very sharp late Valiant/Acclaim books, final issues of Bloodshot, Solar, etc, for a buck a piece. Also managed to pull three copies of the WildC.A.T.s 2 newsstand, also for a buck each. Not common, but the books are out there if you're willing to dig, for sure.

I cant stop buying that Newsstand Wildcats 2 in NM condition. I think I have like 3 copies now or so. I need to go back and get the Supreme 1 Pink copies I never ever saw until this year for the first.

5 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

No, the GI Joe 63 pictured above is NOT the So Much Fun variant, which has "Classic" written under the logo on the cover and So Much Fun written in the UPC box.

Go back and read it again. I didn't say that. I said nothing about the picture above being a SMF.

Edited by fastballspecial

17 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

No, the GI Joe 63 pictured above is NOT the So Much Fun variant, which has "Classic" written under the logo on the cover and So Much Fun written in the UPC box.

He said the one pictured was harder to find than the third print, which prompted me to ask if the third print was the SMF variant.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:26 AM, THB said:

First She-ra in comics I am told???

1motu.JPG

This was given out at the premiere of the movie. This book is just stills from the film in a comic format. Some might call it the first appearance. It's not an original comic story or part of any continuity. The figures came with mini comics. I would consider those a better contender than this book, since they pre-date and have original stories. For her first actual series, there is a UK weekly book that was released in 1986. The month before the first issue was released, there was a preview book that came poly bagged with an issue of the UK original He-Man series. She is in both the preview book and that He-Man issue. I would consider that book to be her first appearance in any kind of continuity.

01.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

Edited by Davidone

I found a third printing of Batman and Robin 1 at a half price books. I didn't think much of it at the time but I bought it because I had never seen it. When I tried to look it up later, I found no sales anywhere. Mycomicshop.com has a 4th printing listed as well. Both seem to be ghosts. Anyone else have either book?

Screenshot_2017-04-10-00-07-07-1.png

Screenshot_2017-04-10-00-07-16-1.png