• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Amazing Fantasy 15 Thread!!

65 posts in this topic

AF15 CGC 9.2 sells for record 392 000$!!

MAJOR NEWS! Pedigree Comics' CEO and President, Doug Schmell, just brokered the sale of a CGC certified 9.2 (NM-) copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 for a record price of $392,000. Featuring the origin and first appearance of Spider-Man, Amazing Fantasy #15 is the most popular and valuable early Silver Age key, ranked as #1 according to latest Overstreet Guide listing (2015). It is the most valuable by quite a wide margin, exactly 60% higher in value than the #2 ranked Silver Age comic, Incredible Hulk #1. And, as many collectors and dealers will tell you, it is also one of the most difficult Silver Age Marvel first appearance issues to locate in high grade.

Cover dated August, 1962 (the same month as Thor’s initial appearance from Journey Into Mystery #83), Amazing Fantasy #15 is one of the hottest books on the market right now, with record sales in each grade being recorded over the past year or so. A CBCS graded 9.0 copy sold at auction in late March for a record price of $237,000 and a 9.4 example fetched a record $454,100 in February, similarly at auction. A 7.5 copy went for $73,500 in October, 2015. The prior high sale (and only previous sale) for a 9.2 copy of this scarce comic book was the one we had made of this same copy, for $190,000 in our February, 2009 Grand Auction!

According to the CGC census, only 8 copies in the world (out of 2,495 so far submitted to the CGC) has graded higher than this 9.2 one, 3 in 9.6 (one of which sold for a record price of 1.1 million in March of 2011) and only 5 in 9.4. Amazingly, only ONE other copy has certified at 9.2. High grade copies of this important comic book rarely change hands and when they do, it is almost always at record prices.

The book is characterized by unbelievable color strike, exact cover alignment, tight staples, razor sharp corners and phenomenal off-white to white pages. It is further identified by a small and unobtrusive date stamp (5–31) near the top left center of the front cover. The book does not contain any Marvel Chipping. It is the 9th nicest existing copy in the world as of this writing.

The transaction took over a few weeks as the seller and buyer could not initially come to terms on a mutually agreeable price, partly because of the seller’s reluctance to part with it but after numerous telephone calls over two plus weeks, the price of $392,000 was confirmed on Monday, May 9th. The buyer is an ultra high grade Golden and Silver Age collector who concentrates on keys and first appearance issues and is extremely happy with the book.

If you have any comic books to sell or consign, do yourself a favor and contact Pedigree Comics or check out our website at http://www.PedigreeComics.com. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, concerns, etc. about how to get the most amount of $$ for your treasured books, either by sale or consignment, please contact Mr. Schmell at (561) 422-1120 or (561) 596-9111 or by email at DougSchmell@pedigreecomics.com. Mr. Schmell has been involved in the sales of more high grade CGC and CBCS graded, investment quality Silver Age Marvel keys, either by purchase, brokerage or consignment, than any other dealer in the world and he keeps all calls and information confidential for your protection.

dallas stephens mile high isnt a recognized pedigree?

I didn't think it was either.

I think it carries about as much weight as a "pedigree" as a "From the Nicolas Cage Collection" notation on the label.

Nice looking book either way though. Should probably break $40k.

-J.

I think it carries about as much weight as a "pedigree" as a "From the Nicolas Cage Collection" notation on the label.

-J.

It is just like the Cage books. It's not considered a pedigree by CGC, just a collection.

-J.

It is just like the Cage books. It's not considered a pedigree by CGC, just a collection.

(thumbs u

So then the notation placement on the label is definitely the distinction between "pedigrees" and "collections ".

-J.

-J.

(thumbs u

So then the notation placement on the label is definitely the distinction between "pedigrees" and "collections ".

-J.

I believe so. I'm not sure about the new labels but previously pedigrees were noted on the far right. And collections like Nicolas Cage and Dallas Stephens in the middle.

I think part of the confusion is that some pedigrees like the Don Rosa Collection and the Don/Maggie Thompson Collection include the word "collection" in the name. But they are considered pedigrees by CGC.

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

Nope There are "collections" labeled on the right side as well (don and Maggie)

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

Nope There are "collections" labeled on the right side as well (don and Maggie)

The Don and Maggie books are considered a pedigree by CGC.

List of CGC recognized pedigrees

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

I believe so. I'm not sure about the new labels but previously pedigrees were noted on the far right. And collections like Nicolas Cage and Dallas Stephens in the middle.

I think part of the confusion is that some pedigrees like the Don Rosa Collection and the Don/Maggie Thompson Collection include the word "collection" in the name. But they are considered pedigrees by CGC.

Perhaps the additional verbiage of being "From" a collection , as well as the placement of the notation on the label distinguishes it as a recognized "pedigree".

-J.

There's a CGC 5.0 AF 15 on ebay right now with WHITE PAGES. In the description, the seller states that only a handful of AF15s with white pages are known to exist. Furthermore, there are only 5 copies grades higher than that AF15 with white pages. Does anyone know if this is accurate information? How rare is an AF15 with WP?

There's a CGC 5.0 AF 15 on ebay right now with WHITE PAGES. In the description, the seller states that only a handful of AF15s with white pages are known to exist. Furthermore, there are only 5 copies grades higher than that AF15 with white pages. Does anyone know if this is accurate information? How rare is an AF15 with WP?

From what I recalled...there is two 5.0's...6.0...7.5...8.0...two 8.5's (thumbs u

I know there's definitely atleast one other 5.0 with WP :)

And I remember a 6.0 being auctioned off not too long ago.

Just out of curiosity, how did you obtain that info? Thanks!

From what I recalled...there is two 5.0's...6.0...7.5...8.0...two 8.5's (thumbs u

I used to own an 8.5 white pager

I used to own an 8.5 white pager

That's a beauty...the Saginaw copy :cloud9: