• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you are married and collect comics.......

116 posts in this topic

My wife really has no clue, but knows I dump a lot of money into comics.

That being said, if we ever were to divorce (ain't going to happen), she deserves at least half, if not more.

We have been together 34 years, have three kids, etc. I would never attempt to cut her out of what she deserves.

You're wife is watching over your shoulder as you type this right now, isn't she lol

Nope - she is an elementary school teacher and passes out early every night from exhaustion, after working 10-12 hour days. She has a worse job than I do. Luckily, I'm done in 10 months, and will be retired. I plan to work extra hard the next 2-4 years (shopping, cooking, cleaning, supporting her) so that she can finish it out, and make it through to retirement.

I was just :baiting: messing with you. That's great to hear, I can't wait to retire so I can spend even more on comics lol

That being said, if we ever were to divorce (ain't going to happen), she deserves at least half, if not more.

We have been together 34 years, have three kids, etc. I would never attempt to cut her out of what she deserves.

The threat of losing half of a great collection is just another one of those 'ties that bind' lol

Whatever. I certainly don't have the energy or desire for any kind of courtship at this point.

I could easily kak myself tomorrow, and could care less..., EXCEPT for the family I leave behind, to deal with MY carp, and MY absence.

I handle the finances in the family, and that is a sacred trust. There is no way I would try to screw anyone, especially my wife, out of what she deserves, even if we were to split.

My wife knew I was a geek when she married me 20+ years ago... nothing has changed. But as for my comic/art obsession, I pretty much self-fund it. Sell stuff to buy stuff. So as long as it's pretty much a zero sum game, she's fine with all of it.

She would, however, like to reclaim a bit of closet space back, which is why I have been trying to sell off some of the books I don't much care about in the last two years.

I should also add that because of me and my son she's seen every Marvel movie in the theater, and then has watched each of them at least once at home on blu ray. I think she enjoys them... but either way, she's a trouper!

As long as I pay the bills,and put food on the table the wife is happy. I have zero debt, house paid,cars paid etc.

Only bills I have are utilities,and supporting my family.

The threat of losing half of a great collection is just another one of those 'ties that bind' lol

Whatever. I certainly don't have the energy or desire for any kind of courtship at this point.

I could easily kak myself tomorrow, and could care less..., EXCEPT for the family I leave behind, to deal with MY carp, and MY absence.

I handle the finances in the family, and that is a sacred trust. There is no way I would try to screw anyone, especially my wife, out of what she deserves, even if we were to split.

I was attempting to make a stereotypical 'married life' joke, but it fell flat it seems! :foryou:

My wife doesn't mind. She actually goes to the conventions with me and helps me find books. She has a really good eye and will catch defects I miss on the first pass.

My wife doesn't mind. She actually goes to the conventions with me and helps me find books. She has a really good eye and will catch defects I miss on the first pass.

My wife is a natural at grading too. I could probably teach her 40 years of comic knowledge in a day. :lol:

She reads books 20 X faster than I do, and picks up 10 X the content.

She's also an excellent marksman - always wails the tar out of me at trap, pistols or high-powered rifles, despite the fact that I shoot 30 X more practice rounds than she does.

My wife is a natural at grading too. I could probably teach her 40 years of comic knowledge in a day. :lol:

She's also an excellent marksman - always wails the tar out of me at trap, pistols or high-powered rifles, despite the fact that I shoot 30 X more practice rounds than she does.

Yeah if I had listened to my wife in one of the grading contest last year I would have won doh!

Sounds like a really cool lady :applause:

As long as I pay the bills,and put food on the table the wife is happy. I have zero debt, house paid,cars paid etc.

Pretty much the same here, except I still have a first mortgage to pay off.

She likes Science Fiction, and has enjoyed reading some of my EC's of that genre in the past.

Retired for 13 years, I have 19 boxes of primarily pre-code horror and crime comics, which I enjoy reading most evenings while consuming a drink or three, and having '50's music playing from my internet radio for period ambiance.

Never could figure on having an ex-wife; too expensive from what I've heard. She's been with me for 45 years (and amazingly I'm still alive :wink: ).

Pretty much the same here, except I still have a first mortgage to pay off.

She likes Science Fiction, and has enjoyed reading some of my EC's of that genre in the past.

Retired for 13 years, I have 19 boxes of primarily pre-code horror and crime comics, which I enjoy reading most evenings while consuming a drink or three, and having '50's music playing from my internet radio for period ambiance.

Never could figure on having an ex-wife; too expensive from what I've heard. She's been with me for 45 years (and amazingly I'm still alive :wink: ).

:applause:

Mine has a vague idea of what I collect, but that is as deep as her interest goes lol

As long as I give her the occasional Spy vs Spy and Archie mag, I am free to do what I wish

Wonderful, great attitude to have. And congrats on the upcoming retirement.

I came into the relationship with comics, continued to buy them when we were married 35 years ago, and started with high grade vintage material after we made a bit of money. She's always been fine with that, and my other hobbies as well, and I with hers. The only concerns she ever had were the risk of fire or theft, and the amount of space the collection takes up, and for those reasons is happier now that the most valuable slabbed portion has been sold off. Finances and comic collecting have never been a point of conflict.

I just cracked open a Hoegaarden

:cloud9:

I was just at the Hoegaarden brewery last month...Im a big fan of their radler... of course I work for them :) (ABI Inbev)

when it comes to comics I neither try to hide, nor explicitly talk about my comic purchases. I know that in times when we need the money I sell some, and in times where we have money to spare, I buy some. Im an adult, I know how to control spending. I buy infrequently since my collecting interests dont come to market often, and when I do I usually dont buy books that cost more than a few hundred dollars, and I always make sure that what I buy can be easily sold again, should the need arise.

Great attitude Mike. I feel the same way. I've seen some people on this board who seem to consider their collections to be more important than their marriage. You have to wonder why they got married in the first place

Great attitude Mike. I feel the same way. I've seen some people on this board who seem to consider their collections to be more important than their marriage. You have to wonder why they got married in the first place

It is a great attitude. Years ago when my first marriage ended I learned that material possessions mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, i.e. they offer/ed no comfort.

In general, my wife gives approximately zero fuggs about comics and my collecting habits. However, I did drag her into a hole in the wall comic shop we drove by this past weekend. While I dug through some longboxes she pointed at a new TMNT comic on the shelves and said, "Hey, is that cover drawn by Kevin Eastman?" When I told her that, indeed, it was drawn by Eastman, she seemed very proud of herself for recognizing the art.

My wife and I are common law, which we joke has kept us fresh (especially after watching almost all of our friends get married and divorced over the years).

She has the same interests as me and we operate our business as full partners. As such, most of what we buy is for resale. Her collecting focus is pre-code horror comics and independent publishers. The only problem is that she sometimes sources better books for her collection than I do for mine (the signed :cloud9: Cerebus issues # 2 and 4 she scored last weekend at the East Coast Comic Expo in Moncton are a lot more impressive than the few books that I bought).