• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you are married and collect comics.......

116 posts in this topic

Be careful you married guys. I had to sell my collection because of the divorce. Lots of books I can't afford again had to go so I could pay her half of fair market value.

Were they all bought during the marriage? If not, what state do you live in? In most states, property and assets attained prior to marriage aren't split.

No one who has ever had the misfortune of dating me knows what I have as far as comics. After reading all of the divorce horror stories I have seen on these boards and a couple I know of off the boards, I have an arrangement with my parents and cousin that should I ever get married, there are certain books that only they will be made aware of.

What state do you live in?

In general, my wife gives approximately zero fuggs about comics and my collecting habits. However, I did drag her into a hole in the wall comic shop we drove by this past weekend. While I dug through some longboxes she pointed at a new TMNT comic on the shelves and said, "Hey, is that cover drawn by Kevin Eastman?" When I told her that, indeed, it was drawn by Eastman, she seemed very proud of herself for recognizing the art.

I do what your wife did every spring when we go flower/plant/bush shopping...I try to remember one or two plants and then point them out and say things like "Are we going to plant ________ this year?

Once I've made the effort, I'm free to rearrange the gargoyle statues into proper battle formations.

My wife really has no clue, but knows I dump a lot of money into comics.

That being said, if we ever were to divorce (ain't going to happen), she deserves at least half, if not more.

We have been together 34 years, have three kids, etc. I would never attempt to cut her out of what she deserves.

I never understood the concept of hiding anything from your spouse.

My ex used to sneak in shopping stuff and I couldn't give a hoot as I spent multiples of that on on comics.

When we separated I opted to pay more for child support than I was supposed to, and then bought a house down the street and still have a great relationship with my kids.

My current wife knows everything about me including most of the log in passwords (yes, including my cell phone and my main email). And she definitely deserves at least half of everything for putting up with me, should something go south.

And I don't know if I'd be posting about hiding anything on the internet anyway. lol

That being said, if we ever were to divorce (ain't going to happen), she deserves at least half, if not more.

We have been together 34 years, have three kids, etc. I would never attempt to cut her out of what she deserves.

My ex used to sneak in shopping stuff and I couldn't give a hoot as I spent multiples of that on on comics.

When we separated I opted to pay more for child support than I was supposed to, and then bought a house down the street and still have a great relationship with my kids.

My current wife knows everything about me including most of the log in passwords (yes, including my cell phone and my main email). And she definitely deserves at least half of everything for putting up with me, should something go south.

And I don't know if I'd be posting about hiding anything on the internet anyway. lol

My goal is always to hide nothing, but some spouses don't value that trust. I won't give my passwords to online accounts to my girlfriend because I save copies of all of my emails with certain people, and I had every email we had ever shared in a folder. About 1.5 years ago she went into my account on my iPad where I was logged into my email and deleted every message we had exchanged from the time we met until that day. Her reasoning was because I sometimes used her written words to contradict something she was person_without_enough_empathying me out about and she wanted to "protect herself" by deleting all of our past emails.

I regret that she feels such shame over what she says, but after years of trying to convince her to live openly and freely and to not worry about stuff like that, I now know I can't do it. So my online accounts are mine alone. I'd prefer for that to not be the case, but it just is. (shrug)

My wife doesn't care about my collecting. In fact she's let me turn our study into my "nerd cave" and let's me keep it that way under the condition that it stays organized and clean.

In general, my wife gives approximately zero fuggs about comics and my collecting habits. However, I did drag her into a hole in the wall comic shop we drove by this past weekend. While I dug through some longboxes she pointed at a new TMNT comic on the shelves and said, "Hey, is that cover drawn by Kevin Eastman?" When I told her that, indeed, it was drawn by Eastman, she seemed very proud of herself for recognizing the art.

I do what your wife did every spring when we go flower/plant/bush shopping...I try to remember one or two plants and then point them out and say things like "Are we going to plant ________ this year?

Once I've made the effort, I'm free to rearrange the gargoyle statues into proper battle formations.

:lol:

lol Take some pics and share

While I agree with you in principle, I do have to (for work purposes) maintain some privacy from my girlfriend. She is not allowed access to my main laptop (backups and desktops are fair game, as are all tablets) or my phone as they contain sensitive information. That doesn't bother her, what does somewhat is my reluctance to discuss work. She wants me to talk about how my day was and when I answer monosyllabicly she wants details. I can't go into details.

While I agree with you in principle, I do have to (for work purposes) maintain some privacy from my girlfriend. She is not allowed access to my main laptop (backups and desktops are fair game, as are all tablets) or my phone as they contain sensitive information. That doesn't bother her, what does somewhat is my reluctance to discuss work. She wants me to talk about how my day was and when I answer monosyllabicly she wants details. I can't go into details.

Instead of saying that you had to garrote an enemy spy who was trying to kill you and dissolve his body with acid in a drum, can't you just say you got into conflict with a co-worker and had to resolve it in a more extreme way than you would have preferred? :foryou:

After arguing for many weeks, my ex pretty much said I would never have the guts to leave her. I put my comics in the trunk & my golf clubs in the back seat & told her she could have the rest. I drove off and never regretted it ... I've been smiling ever since.

That was 25 years ago.

Instead of saying that you had to garrote an enemy spy who was trying to kill you and dissolve his body with acid in a drum, can't you just say you got into conflict with a co-worker and had to resolve it in a more extreme way than you would have preferred? :foryou:

Oddly enough THAT would not have been a problem lol. Her father is an importer/exporter so he could get lye for me in industrial quantities without anyone batting an eye and she already has a bunch of 55 gallon drums in her garage. If anything I'd ask her for help with that problem lol

A story:

I sold my CGC 5.0 copy of All-American Comics # 19 (4th Green Lantern, 1st GA Atom) to a boardie (either Gator or ThirdGreenham) to buy my engagement ring.

Today, I have neither the comic nor the girl. The engagement didn't last & we are neither married nor even speaking.

Also, she kept the ring (yeah, I know...legally "conditional gift" & I had every right to get it back, but that's not the point.)

It was worth it and I'd do it all again in an instant.

A story:

I sold my CGC 5.0 copy of All-American Comics # 19 (4th Green Lantern, 1st GA Atom) to a boardie (either Gator or ThirdGreenham) to buy my engagement ring.

Today, I have neither the comic nor the girl. The engagement didn't last & we are neither married nor even speaking.

Also, she kept the ring (yeah, I know...legally "conditional gift" & I had every right to get it back, but that's not the point.)

It was worth it and I'd do it all again in an instant.

Well, I hope you're now thinking again of getting engaged to some one.

In which case, let me be the VERY FIRST one to say that yes, I'd be interested in your comics.

First dibs!!! :banana:

I had to put off buying comics for the 20 years I had a wife, except for a few cover price moderns here and there. With her the rules were she could spend whatever she wanted - on herself, and I could do the same - spend whatever I wanted, as long as it was on her. I and our kids got lucky when she found her new love and fled to Australia to marry him. The judge told me I could have pursued child support from her, even in Australia, but I told him the she never did care for them while she was here, and she would not while she was gone, so I did not seek it. I just got lucky I was able to keep what I had.

I enjoy the single life, and if I ever decide I want a relationship again, it will be with a nerdy comic girl, er woman I guess, who likes to go to cons, someone I can share my love of comics with, instead of someone who makes me put them out of sight and out of mind.

I am just having too much fun, re-connecting with my old friends and getting into the hobbies I had to put aside, then to try to get into a relationship again.

I had to put off buying comics for the 20 years I had a wife, except for a few cover price moderns here and there. With her the rules were she could spend whatever she wanted - on herself, and I could do the same - spend whatever I wanted, as long as it was on her. I and our kids got lucky when she found her new love and fled to Australia to marry him. The judge told me I could have pursued child support from her, even in Australia, but I told him the she never did care for them while she was here, and she would not while she was gone, so I did not seek it. I just got lucky I was able to keep what I had.

I enjoy the single life, and if I ever decide I want a relationship again, it will be with a nerdy comic girl, er woman I guess, who likes to go to cons, someone I can share my love of comics with, instead of someone who makes me put them out of sight and out of mind.

I am just having too much fun, re-connecting with my old friends and getting into the hobbies I had to put aside, then to try to get into a relationship again.

congrats on that being over..

I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

I am with my spouse for more than 12 years and not only does she not mind about me collecting comic books but she also enjoys some parts of the hobby especially the art work (she loves Barry Smith art), learnt how to grade and pack comic books and even has an opinion about pressing (!) :cloud9: <3