• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longest running title with an absence of $5 books

153 posts in this topic

Cable is another title that ran over 100 issues that you would be lucky to get $100 for.

Femforce

Witchblade

Simpsons

X-Factor 25-149

Thor pre 300-501 minus 337?

Peter Parker from 65-263 plus the 50+ issue relaunch?

And as someone mentioned earlier (as much as I hate to admit it since I'm a Duck guy) WDC&S is on issue 700-something and there isn't a book that really matters once you get out of the mid 100's back in the 50's. Generally 125 (Woodchucks), 134 (Beagle Boys), and 140 (Gyro) are the last issues that I pay more than about $2 for.

I'm thinking Moon Knight, although I don't know what issues from the 70's go for.

What issues from the '70s? Moon Knight didn't get his own series until 1980, and any series he had never ran very long anyway.

Marvel Tales - I know it's a reprint title, but so many have already been named that I was struggling to come up with one!

Yeah, except #98, 99 and 103 (?... or whatever the reprint of #129 is) all sell for $10-$25 depending on condition.

Honestly, Avengers is a pretty barren title when it comes to valuable issues after the little burst of 1st Scott Lang / 1st Taskmaster. So after #200, you'd have #223 (Antman/Hawkeye cover) and #257 (1st Nebula) and I can't think of anything else. The issues with Spidey joining (#314-#318) registered for a while but even those don't anymore.

And as someone mentioned earlier (as much as I hate to admit it since I'm a Duck guy) WDC&S is on issue 700-something and there isn't a book that really matters once you get out of the mid 100's back in the 50's. Generally 125 (Woodchucks), 134 (Beagle Boys), and 140 (Gyro) are the last issues that I pay more than about $2 for.

Aren't there some Whitman-only issues in the 80's that fetch a few dollars?

On topic of Moon Knight, I'm thinking of the ones with the Bill S painted covers... 1980 and up, not 70's, apologies. I know the later Stephen Platt issues have a nice guide price, but I haven't had any trouble finding them in cheapie bins.

Excalibur for the win -- I actually liked the first 40 or so issues.

But as an example: three years ago at some crappy suburban Va. comic con I picked up 35 copies of the Excalibur trade (first appearance) for $2 apiece.

Only reason I didn't pick up all 60 or so copies is I didn't have more cash on me.

Surprised no one's mentioned Captain America here.

After Captain America 332-333 (which are probably $5 books now anyway) and Annual # 8 (maybe $10?) is there another key before vol. 4 # 6 (first Winter Soldier?)

Maybe the first Crossbones issues with 359-360?

Take out the Crossbones issues & that's a solid 20 years sans keys.

Ditto Iron Man: # 101-present & the keys are what? 118, 128, & 282?

Excalibur for the win -- I actually liked the first 40 or so issues.

But as an example: three years ago at some crappy suburban Va. comic con I picked up 35 copies of the Excalibur trade (first appearance) for $2 apiece.

Only reason I didn't pick up all 60 or so copies is I didn't have more cash on me.

Surprised no one's mentioned Captain America here.

After Captain America 332-333 (which are probably $5 books now anyway) and Annual # 8 (maybe $10?) is there another key before vol. 4 # 6 (first Winter Soldier?)

Maybe the first Crossbones issues with 359-360?

Take out the Crossbones issues & that's a solid 20 years sans keys.

Ditto Iron Man: # 101-present & the keys are what? 118, 128, & 282?

Yep.

And Thor had a about a ten-year stretch of nothing significant between 1st Firelord and 1st Beta Ray Bill.

Aren't there some Whitman-only issues in the 80's that fetch a few dollars?

On topic of Moon Knight, I'm thinking of the ones with the Bill S painted covers... 1980 and up, not 70's, apologies. I know the later Stephen Platt issues have a nice guide price, but I haven't had any trouble finding them in cheapie bins.

There are but I have a hard time counting those as you couldn't just walk into any store and buy them. I see them as equal to variants. Some of those Whitman are just impossible. I've been collecting Scrooge for 20+ years and I've never seen a 179 in person. Ever.

On occasion I find the Platt issues, but never the 55 and rarely the 60. When I do, they never last more than a show or two on my wall at $20+.for 55 and $10 for 60.

Alpha flight - can't give away most of the run with no real keys

Yeah, but the placement of the few issues that are worth something prevent the series from having "the longest stretch of books" that are worthless.

Legends of the Dark Knight. I cannot give them away.

Action Comics 600-up

Concur on Cerebus, which is sad. The first 60 or so issues of Cerebus are just spectacular.

Didn't notice... Did any one mention either Defenders or Doctor Strange? Defenders has #10 but I think that's all.

Defenders 27 and 28 have cameo and first full appearance respectively of Starhawk, and which are currently being speculated on and flipped.

I've been re reading Sandman Mystery Theatre , brilliant series but not expensive I think .

:hi:

It is rather good, but a relatively short run; like Starman, from the same period.

One thing I find both amusing and frustrating is how many times the collected editions of these comics can cost more than the individual issues they reprint, especially if the collected edition in currently out of print. Like 90s Starman, for example.

Didn't notice... Did any one mention either Defenders or Doctor Strange? Defenders has #10 but I think that's all.

Defenders 4 and 28 are becoming semi-keys.

Master of Kung Fu 17-125 ... although it's my favorite Bronze Age title, and a must read for everyone...I don't think there are any keys in there at all and each issue is cheap as chips...go ahead pick these up and read them, you'll be happy you did.

Yes! Master of Kung Fu is AWESOME reading! (thumbs u