• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longest running title with an absence of $5 books

153 posts in this topic

A boardie and I were discussing what runs/titles/groups have the longest stretch of books that would sell for under $5. You know those titles/letters that you just completely skip when you're diving in $2+ boxes?

Make up your mind. Are you asking about keys or (currently) relatively valuable books that stand out from the pack?

I came up with pretty much any Legion of Superheroes title since 1980 (#259). There are basically 35+ years of Legion books that I would be hard pressed to buy out of anything more than $1 box.

I guess you're forgetting LoSH (v.2) 37 & 38. Otherwise, the Legion is pretty cheap.

Does anything else have a run that long without any decent books in it? And please omit 9.8 candidates or OSPG prices. I mean real world prices where books have sold or are available online at rock bottom prices.

As mentioned, West Coast Avengers is a pretty good one. A series from the Big Two that ran over 100 issues, yet has nothing of any current value and very little of any interest or importance.

I don`t know about long running titles,but a comic book publisher that stands out is Dark Horse Comics. I was shocked at how few major keys they have contributed to the comic collecting community.

Mike Mignola`s stuff was what over 25 years ago?

A boardie and I were discussing what runs/titles/groups have the longest stretch of books that would sell for under $5. You know those titles/letters that you just completely skip when you're diving in $2+ boxes?

Make up your mind. Are you asking about keys or (currently) relatively valuable books that stand out from the pack?

I came up with pretty much any Legion of Superheroes title since 1980 (#259). There are basically 35+ years of Legion books that I would be hard pressed to buy out of anything more than $1 box.

I guess you're forgetting LoSH (v.2) 37 & 38. Otherwise, the Legion is pretty cheap.

Does anything else have a run that long without any decent books in it? And please omit 9.8 candidates or OSPG prices. I mean real world prices where books have sold or are available online at rock bottom prices.

As mentioned, West Coast Avengers is a pretty good one. A series from the Big Two that ran over 100 issues, yet has nothing of any current value and very little of any interest or importance.

I actually had no clue about 37/38. Thanks for the tip.

And you're right. I started out with keys, but realized that there is a huge lack of even $2-5 in a lot of titles.

Everything after FF 70? I can't think of any keys after that point. That's like 1968.

I wouldn't go back that far.

Maybe start after FF112, Hulk vs Thing minor key.

But yeah, FF from mid 100's all the way through were a barren wasteland.

I get $5 for 209 (Herbie) and $10 for 211(Terrax) on a semi-regular basis when labeled with the info. Sometimes you have to tell people why they want the book!

New Teen Titans Vol 2. Even when I put up my want to buy thread here for it, I stated this is a cheap run without any big keys. The run gets renamed appropriately to New Titans to issue 50 and continues all the away up to issue 130. Only one key, issue 99 which still can be found in lots cheap though. I picked mine up for $10 bucks shipped. So 1-98 for a buck a piece for a decent read isn't bad.

Master of Kung Fu 17-125 ... although it's my favorite Bronze Age title, and a must read for everyone...I don't think there are any keys in there at all and each issue is cheap as chips...go ahead pick these up and read them, you'll be happy you did.

Amazing Spider-Man past 361. Outside of variants and fake inflated centennial (right word) issues, is there anything that key?

#477 always gets a premium.

I vote for West Coast Avengers because not only was it a staggeringly long run of meaningless from the start, it was inconsequential AT THE TIME! I still dont know how it went on so long (he said as a reader from issue 1 when he was a kid...)

Everything after FF 70? I can't think of any keys after that point. That's like 1968.

I get $5 for 209 (Herbie) and $10 for 211(Terrax) on a semi-regular basis when labeled with the info. Sometimes you have to tell people why they want the book!

:grin:(thumbs u

I vote for West Coast Avengers because not only was it a staggeringly long run of meaningless from the start, it was inconsequential AT THE TIME! I still dont know how it went on so long (he said as a reader from issue 1 when he was a kid...)

Ha ha. I'm with you. Some of my longest purchased runs as a kid are West Coast Avengers, Excalibur, and then maybe ROM / GI Joe / Transformers. The toy comics have a following, but the WCA and Excalibur were pretty rotten from the start. Though the runs aren't quite as long as others mentioned in this thread, unless I'm mistaken, the entire run including #1 are somewhat worthless. Not a gem in the bunch.

That said, I must admit that Excalibur #1 is still one of my all-time favorite covers in the copper age. The green background just does it for me :).

excalibur1_zpsax36pqsy.jpg

:grin:(thumbs u

Don't forget about 120 (Airwalker), 164 (Frankie Rae), and 272 (Nova)!

I am a heralds of Galactus guy!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=365232&Number=8271948#Post8271948