• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longest running title with an absence of $5 books

153 posts in this topic

I've been re reading Sandman Mystery Theatre , brilliant series but not expensive I think .

:hi:

It is rather good, but a relatively short run; like Starman, from the same period.

Both Starman and Sandman Mystery Theater were two of my favorite series from the 90s. Another 90s's run Power of Shazam also is worth nothing, despite being a fun read.

Good call on LoTDK. 200+ issues of worthlessness!

There was a time, when Bane was first introduced, that the Venom 5-part story was very hot and in demand. I remember being very happy at the time that I'd put my run of the title (what there was at time) together right before the books caught fire.

That time, obviously, has passed. lol

Dropping Cerebus, or any true independent title in this thread, feels wrong somehow, but technically it is correct.

Anyway I was sorting some stuff yesterday and came across my Unwritten run - not a single key to be found in either the main run or the wind up 'Apocalypse' series. Great read though.

After Daredevil gets his all red costume in issue 7, I don't recall another key issue showing up until the first appearance of Bullseye in #131. That's a helluva long run in the Silver and Bronze age with no key issues.

After Daredevil gets his all red costume in issue 7, I don't recall another key issue showing up until the first appearance of Bullseye in #131. That's a helluva long run in the Silver and Bronze age with no key issues.

#9 Stilt-Man :sumo:

But seriously, I would say #18 the first Gladiator is a key. And #111 first Silver Samurai is a minor one.

Excalibur seems to be the winner of a series that ran for awhile (+100 issues) and not one is even a semi key. You can get a complete set 1 - 125 for less the $100 delivered.

I liked Savage Sword of Conan to win it since there are so many issues but I think #1 is a semi key book.

I think I actually gave away ~100 or so issues of Savage Sword of Conan at one point. They weren't even worth the car space to cart up to the auction.

The other one that boggled my mind at the time (around 2010) was Dark Horse Star Wars.

After Dark Empire # 1 and 2, I don't think there were any key issues among the next 200 or so issues.

Even in mini-runs I couldn't get $.50 apiece on eBay.

And even Dark Empire 1-6 wouldn't catch $15 (with doubles of # 1 and 2 included).

I think I actually gave away ~100 or so issues of Savage Sword of Conan at one point. They weren't even worth the car space to cart up to the auction.

The other one that boggled my mind at the time (around 2010) was Dark Horse Star Wars.

After Dark Empire # 1 and 2, I don't think there were any key issues among the next 200 or so issues.

Even in mini-runs I couldn't get $.50 apiece on eBay.

And even Dark Empire 1-6 wouldn't catch $15 (with doubles of # 1 and 2 included).

Don't remind me - I got a long box full of 9.6/9.8 copies of this series and I really don't know what to do with them. I didn't pay too much but they are too cheap in CGC 9.8 to bother grading and they are too nice to read. Hopefully some Star Wars fans will grab mini runs at the Cons this summer. Its a shame since the covers are great.

Why stop there? Has Avengers has any of its book pop with various reboots other than that brief time a decade ago when New Avengers # 1 was a hit?

If not, then we've got a 36 year period of a major keyless title that's now known worldwide due to a few major movies.

To me, that's qualitatively different from a keyless run of a much more minor title like Legion or (sorry!) Cerebus.

#9 Stilt-Man :sumo:

But seriously, I would say #18 the first Gladiator is a key. And #111 first Silver Samurai is a minor one.

And #16 - 1st Romita Spidey

- Conan the Barbarian

- Savage Sword of Conan

- The Flash

For Conan the Barbarian, If you are referring to the title from the 70's, I think issues past 26, excluding 37 and perhaps issue 100.

After the Red Sonja issues, 23 and 24, you're struggling.

Saddens me a little because Conan was the first 1 to 100 issue run that I put together.

I think I actually gave away ~100 or so issues of Savage Sword of Conan at one point.
ome of my all time favorite series

As you might guess, I'm rather fond of it, too. :)

Excalibur seems to be the winner of a series that ran for awhile (+100 issues) and not one is even a semi key. You can get a complete set 1 - 125 for less the $100 delivered.

No way. Legends of the Dark Knight. 214 issues. I'd be surprised if one couldn't buy the entire series for $100 - if you could find all of them.