• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longest running title with an absence of $5 books

153 posts in this topic

I'm hard pressed to think of any series that doesn't involve superheroes where first appearances of characters makes a comic a key.

How about Archie's where many collectors would have Pep 22 slotted in as one of the Top 10 comics of all time. :cloud9:

Or also any of the early HG issues of the Harvey characters which also tends to sell for multiples of guide.

Probably more if I give it a bit more thought. hm

I'm hard pressed to think of any series that doesn't involve superheroes where first appearances of characters makes a comic a key.

How about Archie's where many collectors would have Pep 22 slotted in as one of the Top 10 comics of all time. :cloud9:

Or also any of the early HG issues of the Harvey characters which also tends to sell for multiples of guide.

Probably more if I give it a bit more thought. hm

i should have said excluding instances where the character appears before their initial series.

Fantasy Quarterly is worth a little money, but not a single issue of Elfquest, no matter who is introduced. Usagi Yojimbo, every issue for the past 30 years is worth a dollar, but that Albedo #2 is worth cash. There are a handful of examples of that. But once the ongoing starts, it's pretty much strictly priced based on print runs and demand, usually with the first issue being more valuable, but in some more modern comics the first issue being the least valuable and some final issues being the big draw. Not based on any of the contents inside, and never based on a characters first appearance.

Albedo #2 - 1st Usagi Yojimbo

Archie's Girls Betty & Veronica #320 - 1st Cheryl Blossom

usagi Yojimbo has a huge roster of characters. Are any of their first appearances besides Albedo #2 worth anything?

Saw Cerebus mentioned several times, the original post asked to name runs of books you wouldn't pay $5 a piece for. If someone wants to sell me decent condition copies of Cerebus #2-20 for $5 a book or less, I'm buying!

If you read through you'll see OP changed the title. It's a bit confusing now. Originally it was "longest run with no keys".

I did read through the thread, but didn't know the original post had been changed. I think the early issues of Cerebus have plenty of key books to Cerebus collectors just because of the some of the key characters throughout the 300 issue run being introduced, they are just not key books to the general comic collecting community.

This was my experience when I was trying to build a Cerebus run back in the late 80's. Lots of key appearances and moments over the course of that first 100 or so issues that I was looking for. LCS's had limited backstock and books I found at shows were expensive, especially the first 50. It's likely the market isn't now what it once was for that title, but I would think those first 8-10 years would still be over $5 each.

yesh, the Bronze Age ones aren't quite bargain bin fodder but they're not particularly valuable either.

usagi Yojimbo has a huge roster of characters. Are any of their first appearances besides Albedo #2 worth anything?

I was thinking of Usagi specifically when, in response to Cerebus being added to the list, I stated it didn't seem fair to include true independents even though it was technically a correct answer to the question.

Most keys appear to exist due to the interconnected nature of traditional comic book universes - with true independents it is typically the first appearance of the main or titular character and that's that.

I was thinking of Usagi specifically when, in response to Cerebus being added to the list, I stated it didn't seem fair to include true independents even though it was technically a correct answer to the question.

Most keys appear to exist due to the interconnected nature of traditional comic book universes - with true independents it is typically the first appearance of the main or titular character and that's that.

I think another issue is the pretty much immortality of superhero comics. Avengers and Spiderman will be around forever, even though Lee and Kirby obviously will not. Every week at the comic shop you'll get your X-Men. If a character dies, he's sure to come back. They're never forgetting any IP. The other thing I think is the crossover into other mediums. For superheroes it's been so long ago. Batman and Superman had radio shows and serials pretty much immediately. Toys and other licensed merchandise. Today with hit movies and TV shows and video games added to the mix, they're pop culture icons, like Mickey Mouse. Of course newer heroes like X-23 are not, but that's only a matter of time. Could have said the same about Deadpool last year. And the last reason I believe is because typically the characters are contained within the series. None of those Cerebus or Elfquest characters went on to have huge solo followings. With superheroes it's far more likely to happen. Even if they don't get their own solo ongoing, they'll be in countless minis and team ups and crossovers, join different teams and so on. Take a less popular X-Men character, Rogue for example. How many Marvel titles has she been in? I'm sure 20+ is a safe bet.

Conan from 25 to 274

I still dream of 58 becoming a mega-key one day.

For now I'm happy to keep buying it for $2 whenever I see it.

Savage Sword is entirely keyless save for #1.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xconan+274.TRS0&_nkw=conan+274&_sacat=0

people tryng to get money for 274

probably harder to find cheap in the wild than 275

Amazing Spider-Man past 361. Outside of variants and fake inflated centennial (right word) issues, is there anything that key?

carnage silver surfer issues

I am surprised that Spawn has not been mentioned.

Look again.

Spawn.

There are a lot of Spawn keys once you reach issue 150 and up.

Yeah but that's still a huge swath of over 100 issues without anything significant.

I personally think the Spawn issues from 150 on (minus a few "keys") have value just because of scarcity more than anything else.

I am surprised that Spawn has not been mentioned.

Look again.

Spawn.

There are a lot of Spawn keys once you reach issue 150 and up.

Yeah but that's still a huge swath of over 100 issues without anything significant.

I personally think the Spawn issues from 150 on (minus a few "keys") have value just because of scarcity more than anything else.

Not sure how I missed that .....