• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longest running title with an absence of $5 books

153 posts in this topic

of the biggest titles, it has to be Fantastic Four

That's the one that jumps out at me.

Agreed. After #48, or if you want #66, there are no key issues at all. Valuable issues - yes, but not key.

Master of Kung Fu 17-125 ... although it's my favorite Bronze Age title, and a must read for everyone...I don't think there are any keys in there at all and each issue is cheap as chips...go ahead pick these up and read them, you'll be happy you did.

Yes! Master of Kung Fu is AWESOME reading! (thumbs u

Master of Kung Fu, Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword - all my favorite books of the era are worthless. Which I guess is a good thing for me. :)

Agreed. After #48, or if you want #66, there are no key issues at all. Valuable issues - yes, but not key.

At this point I should ask you what you consider a "key book"… :)

But Fury was generally good, and does not qualify with the OP's request, which I seem to get is more about the "decline" (yes, I would sadly skip most of late 1980s and 1990s Fantastic Four… :( ):

«Does anything else have a run that long without any decent books in it?»

:shrug:

But Fury was generally good, and does not qualify with the OP's request, which I seem to get is more about the "decline" (yes, I would sadly skip most of late 1980s and 1990s Fantastic Four… :( ):

This thread has nothing to do with "good" or even keys (despite the misleading title). The question posed in the OP is about the longest runs within a title that contain zero issues worth over $5 (real world sales - no Guide B.S.).

67 is more of a key than 66, at least in my opinion.

This thread has nothing to do with "good" or even keys (despite the misleading title). The question posed in the OP is about the longest runs within a title that contain zero issues worth over $5 (real world sales - no Guide B.S.).

Thats true. I started with the intention of keys, but realized that would be way too many runs so I modified it to $5 books as I typed. I just forgot to change the title.

Avengers. After #196 there is nothing else all the way to the series ending in #402. That's a long time for a prominent Marvel book to have no keys.

* I wouldn't pay over $5 for a 257 (First Nebula)

Technically, would Avengers Annual #10 count?

Conan from 25 to 274

I still dream of 58 becoming a mega-key one day.

For now I'm happy to keep buying it for $2 whenever I see it.

Savage Sword is entirely keyless save for #1.

And yet it is my favorite book for the reading. Conan never failed me for my escapist needs.

Sgt Fury, if not mentioned already, has no keys worth mentioning after #1.....
e

I would count 5 (first Baron Strucker) as well.

What about 13 with the Captain America appearance?

Is every random superhero crossover a key?

e

One that early should be. It's likely his first SA crossover.

What I'm getting from this thread is that there's roughly 200 books out there of drek for every key. Yippee!

This is why I prefer GA where everything is either key or so wildly over the top that people want it anyway.

More like 2000:1

What I'm getting from this thread is that there's roughly 200 books out there of drek for every key. Yippee!

This is why I prefer GA where everything is either key or so wildly over the top that people want it anyway.

There are a few hundred issues of Four Color that I'm sure someone would be happy to get top dollar from you. lol

e

I believe this is his first "actual" appearance since like nineteen-forty-something.