• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 4: 22nd - 24th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 22nd to 24th  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 22nd to 24th

60 posts in this topic

I love Sgt. Fury #1, but marked it for exclusion just ahead of OAAW #83. I also voted off Doc Ock but not the Goblin, although he'll be in the next round with Sgt. Rock!

D

Honestly, it got further than I expected it to.

I'm surprised FF4 biting the dust over FF48. I still think Subby over SS and Galactus any day, any time, and that FF4 cover is incredible, but oh well. FF48 is a lot more resilient than I thought.

I had voted off FF48, OAAW83, and ASM3.

I think FF48 is much more important than FF4 - but I am a huge Surfer fan, so ......

I voted ASM3, ASM 14 and FF4 - three easy cuts IMO.

I am hoping that the 1 vote cast for SC4 and SC22 were mistakes (especially the vote for SC4)

Completely agree. I didn't vote for either FF 4 or 48 but I will vote off 4 long before 48. The first appearance of a major character over the I don't know... 100th appearance of a major character who is on the same tier of characters as the Surfer (to me Namor and Surfer are both B listers). No brainer.

Spidey 3, Spidey 14, and Sgt. Fury 1 are on my chopping block.

Sgt Fury 1 is irrelevant. Is that book on anyone's want list? Had he debuted at Strange Tales 135, the interest would still be the same now.

Nope, no one's want list. Especially not the people that are paying 5 figures for anything higher than a 9.0.

:facepalm:

The reason is simple - Sgt. Fury is a relevant character in Marvel's current Superhero universe, so Sgt. Fury 1 isn't just a key war book, it's a key Superhero book. (thumbs u

I think DC has introduced a Sgt. Rock-ish character somewhere in the current TV shows, so maybe that will inspire some demand. (shrug)

The Nick Fury in the movies is more the Fury from the Ultimates line than the regular Marvel Universe in my opinion.

The reason is simple - Sgt. Fury is a relevant character in Marvel's current Superhero universe, so Sgt. Fury 1 isn't just a key war book, it's a key Superhero book. (thumbs u

I think DC has introduced a Sgt. Rock-ish character somewhere in the current TV shows, so maybe that will inspire some demand. (shrug)

The Nick Fury in the movies is more the Fury from the Ultimates line than the regular Marvel Universe in my opinion.

True but there is tie there none the less. As for Sgt Rock, I doubt the majority of comic collectors under 35 could tell you who he is or what his first appearance is. No one outside of comic collectors know who he is but plenty of people know who Nick Fury is. I don't think the particular iteration of the character is that important. It's still Nick Fury, and not like the movies/shows are following comic canon all that closely.

If you are referring to the WWII helmet on Legends of Tomorrow, then that soldier does not last more than a couple of minutes before Vandal Savage kills him.

Ousted Action 252 and the Spidey villain books. It is getting harder to choose.

I will be holding a small, dignified service for Fantastic Four #4 after the inevitable happens.

:sorry:

Those were my picks too.

In a straight up fisticuffs, Sgt. Rock would beat up Sgt. Fury.

This sounds like a "my dad can beat up your dad argument" - works for me :) By this logic though shouldn't BB28 be the #1 book because clearly the JLA would beat up everyone else?

True but there is tie there none the less. As for Sgt Rock, I doubt the majority of comic collectors under 35 could tell you who he is or what his first appearance is. No one outside of comic collectors know who he is but plenty of people know who Nick Fury is. I don't think the particular iteration of the character is that important. It's still Nick Fury, and not like the movies/shows are following comic canon all that closely.

I'm under 35, 30, and I know Sgt Rock's 1st appearance. With that being said, I'm more of a Marvel guy and I would much rather have the Sgt. Rock's 1st appearance, but that is just my opinion.

I'm under 35, 30, and I know Sgt Rock's 1st appearance. With that being said, I'm more of a Marvel guy and I would much rather have the Sgt. Rock's 1st appearance, but that is just my opinion.

I did say the majority. Obviously there are some that would know. I am 42 and have been collecting since I was 16 or so and I had no idea what his first appearance was until this thread. I know of the character but have zero interest in him and therefore could not have cared less what his first appearance was.

Let me ask you this. You would rather have Sgt Rock's 1st appearance than Sgt Fury however, what is that based on? Your interest in the character or the scarcity of the issue itself. I get the appeal of wanting to own scarce books, I do too. Another way to put it, what if Sgt Fury #1 had as few graded copies and the same distribution in high grade. Would it then be more desirable? Because in my opinion, scarcity of a book does not increase its importance. It might very well increase its desirability and price though, which is what I think is happening here and people are projecting that to importance.

I did say the majority. Obviously there are some that would know. I am 42 and have been collecting since I was 16 or so and I had no idea what his first appearance was until this thread. I know of the character but have zero interest in him and therefore could not have cared less what his first appearance was.

Let me ask you this. You would rather have Sgt Rock's 1st appearance than Sgt Fury however, what is that based on? Your interest in the character or the scarcity of the issue itself. I get the appeal of wanting to own scarce books, I do too. Another way to put it, what if Sgt Fury #1 had as few graded copies and the same distribution in high grade. Would it then be more desirable? Because in my opinion, scarcity of a book does not increase its importance. It might very well increase its desirability and price though, which is what I think is happening here and people are projecting that to importance.

OAAW 83 is the Action Comics 1 of the war genre comic. Marvel collectors like myself appreciate the place Sgt. Rock holds in the war genre comic- at the top. Rock and Sgt. Fury are war genre comics. Fury beyond his stripes, is a supporting character. The scarcity of OAAW 83 only makes it more difficult to find.

I voted off Sgt Fury 1 (for the third straight time), and the 2 Spidey villain books.

I know FF 4 isn't long for the list, but that's one of the best comic books ever produced..........I mean, I get it, but I hate to see it go.

I voted off Sgt Fury 1 (for the third straight time), and the 2 Spidey villain books.

I know FF 4 isn't long for the list, but that's one of the best comic books ever produced..........I mean, I get it, but I hate to see it go.

FF4 is a greater key than FF 48 and I love the Surfer over Sub-Mariner. Sure, the story arc that begins in FF48 is one of the greatest ever but Namor's contribution to the early Marvel SA is so significant to Marvel. The idea of taking a GA hero like Namor and bringing him back as a villain was just another example of Lee and Kirby's genius. And what a cover!

FF4 is a greater key than FF 48 and I love the Surfer over Sub-Mariner. Sure, the story arc that begins in FF48 is one of the greatest ever but Namor's contribution to the early Marvel SA is so significant to Marvel. The idea of taking a GA hero like Namor and bringing him back as a villain was just another example of Lee and Kirby's genius. And what a cover!

Same with Cap and all that followed. (thumbs u

I would rather have the Sgt Rock 1st App for general interested in the character as I really like WWII related shows, books, etc and am not basing it on the scarcity. To be clear I do not own either issue. I collect runs and 1st app of characters that I like not books that necessarily will go up a large amount. In addition, Our Army at War, did run for almost three decades. It then switched at issue 302 to the title of Sgt. Rock and went another decade, which has to say something about Sgt. Rock and those group of characters.IHO no one really cared about Nick Fury until Avengers movies and his 1st app starting going up in value. Excluding Avengers related books, what book that focused on Nick Fury ran that long, or could he carry a title for that long period of time? I doubt it.

I disagree - I think FF48 is a much more important book, as it was the first appearance of a key hero and key villain and started Marvel's "galactic" titles/storylines. But I recognize that to some people FF4 is more important.

I also would not compare FF4 to AV4 - in my opinion AV4 is a much more important book.