• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 5: 19th - 21st

Silver Age Hierarchy - 19th to 21st  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 19th to 21st

75 posts in this topic

What's the long term goal of these polls = what are we reducing these to, the top 10 ? At this point, less than 20, it's not only getting ridiculously difficult, it's getting a little silly. Sorry.

What's the long term goal of these polls = what are we reducing these to, the top 10 ? At this point, less than 20, it's not only getting ridiculously difficult, it's getting a little silly. Sorry.

Long term goal other than a fun discussion is to see how comic collector views change over time.

It's always interested me how our general environment changes our opinions. For example, I own a Single Series #20 which was a top 3 book in the early 1970s but is forgotten by most collectors now.

It's been interesting to see the impact of films and tv have on our choices. Eg historically story relevant issues such as Flash 123 are falling down the rankings while first appearance issues related to tv and film (Strange Tales 110 and others) have moved up the ranks.

It actually get's easier when you get to the top 10.

We all think we know who the top 3 books are but individual rankings between 11-20 are harder.

What's silly about this? That's almost like saying collecting comics is silly, which maybe ... hm I'm grateful to koko for administrating these polls. Generates a lot of good debate because there is no right or wrong answer, and it's interesting to see how opinions evolve on top 30 SA books as the years roll by.

I'm a bit surprised that b&w 28 and avengers #1, both featuring the first appearance of nobody, have no votes, while asm #1, already has several votes.

I realize a few state have already legalized marijuana, and Canada will legalize it soon, but it looks like some folks already have a head start!

TTA 27 (again and again)

Action 252

OAAW 83

I lined up against the wall, blindfolded, and handed a cigarette to TTA27, OAAW83 and FF48.

FF48 is incredibly resilient.

It's interesting to see Action252 outlasting ASM14. i suppose two disastrous Hollywood iterations of Gobby coupled with the explosive price increases on Action 252 and a fine TV show will do that.

I don't care about the fads or the TV shows. To me, the introduction of Supergirl into the DC universe was a more important intro than the Goblin into the Marvel one. GG is a great Spidey villain, but he's pretty limited in the grand scope of the MU. Supergirl has been, to me, more crucial to comics than ol' Gobby. Plus, she's a lot easier on the eyes. :banana:

Also, to respond to another comment, I think the formation of crucial teams (Avengers 1 and BB 28) was more groundbreaking to the superhero universes than ASM 1 (the 1st appearance of JJJ and the first FF crossover). "2nd Appearance of Spider-Man" means little to me, if only because Spidey would have been a beloved character no matter what title he started in. Definitely important, but not necessarily MORE important in my eyes.

Dan

I'm a bit surprised that b&w 28 and avengers #1, both featuring the first appearance of nobody, have no votes, while asm #1, already has several votes.

I realize a few state have already legalized marijuana, and Canada will legalize it soon, but it looks like some folks already have a head start!

I voted Action 252, ASM 14, and OAAW 83. Both BB 28 and Avengers 1 will be in the next batch for me. Cool books, but I don't totally get it.

I have no idea how ASM 1 has 9 votes either........

I don't care about the fads or the TV shows. To me, the introduction of Supergirl into the DC universe was a more important intro than the Goblin into the Marvel one. GG is a great Spidey villain, but he's pretty limited in the grand scope of the MU. Supergirl has been, to me, more crucial to comics than ol' Gobby. Plus, she's a lot easier on the eyes. :banana:

Also, to respond to another comment, I think the formation of crucial teams (Avengers 1 and BB 28) was more groundbreaking to the superhero universes than ASM 1 (the 1st appearance of JJJ and the first FF crossover). "2nd Appearance of Spider-Man" means little to me, if only because Spidey would have been a beloved character no matter what title he started in. Definitely important, but not necessarily MORE important in my eyes.

Dan

Interesting point of view, whereas I could care less about team books, especially those whose origins are so deeply rooted in the Golden Age.

Dan

Spidey 1 is important IMO as it is the most important, popular and enduring Marvel character and it is the inaugural book for the character's own title. Having said that I have it currently on the cusp of either making or not making the Top 10. Of course that is balanced out by AF15 being the solid runaway #1. 2c

Spidey 1 is important IMO as it is the most important, popular and enduring Marvel character and it is the inaugural book for the character's own title. Having said that I have it currently on the cusp of either making or not making the Top 10. Of course that is balanced out by AF15 being the solid runaway #1. 2c

We've seen quite a diminishment of the perceived importance of Amazing Spider-Man #1 over recent years. It seems crazy to me. That book is a Silver Age mega key.

never really cared for Superdog

:o

I have been after a high grade Adventure #210 for 20 years and failed miserably.

Did think about sneaking it into the top 30 selection poll hm

We've seen quite a diminishment of the perceived importance of Amazing Spider-Man #1 over recent years. It seems crazy to me. That book is a Silver Age mega key.

Got to thinking about it some more...it's kind of a weird dichotomy...AF15 was merely a circumstance in the sense the only choice Marvel had to introduce the early super-heroes was to insert them into existing titles due to their publication contractual constraints.

In many ways of pure analysis and comparative thinking...Spidey 1 is really a far more significant book than HULK 1 for example. Sure Hulk jumped around in many titles (after the ending of the initial 6 issue run) but Spidey went on to a continuous 700-plus issue run. That's some serious hang time...especially comparted to a 1 to 6 run...

I realize the majority will give this little recognition...but I think it bears some thought...

Here's my list of importance, at least in terms of Marvel keys:

AF15>FF1>HULK1>JIM83>TOS39>ASM1>XMen1>TTZ27>ST110>DD1-Avengers1-Avengers4>TTA44>TTA35

The top 2 are pretty much interchangable, as are 4-6. To each his own, I suppose.

Here's my list of importance, at least in terms of Marvel keys:

AF15>FF1>HULK1>JIM83>TOS39>ASM1>XMen1>TTZ27>ST110>DD1-Avengers1-Avengers4>TTA44>TTA35

The top 2 are pretty much interchangable, as are 4-6. To each his own, I suppose.

:screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy: