• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Dallas -- March 31-April 2, 2017
1 1

448 posts in this topic

I worked with a company where we had to come up with ideas for app downloads. I also attended SXSW where everyone wanted you to download their apps through creative ideas (street teams mainly). Many would have a chance to win something (think free autograph ticket to one of the big celebs). One literally was a grilled cheese and a beer if you showed them your phone with the app on it. 

At ECCC, I thought Funko did a creative thing where on their twitter feed, their youtube video hosts tweeted that first person to find them, they had something to give away. So, it had people following their twitter feed on site. Same thing could be done with the push notification and/or social media. Scavenger hunt type thing. Keep people engaged on site with information. 

6 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Projectors/TV screens in the hallways where people are eating/resting, premium/VIP lounges, and maybe that area where special event ticket booth area/escalators near premium lounge area. Some place where people are already gathering or walking past anyway would be ideal. Projectors might be easiest since they can be larger view. Obviously, they could be utilized for a lot more than this too.

I like the projector idea even more, and it'd likely be cheaper to implement. You could have the announcements be 30 feet high in the lobby, on the walls above the bathroom entrances, or anyplace folks congregate. You could see them from a distance. Program sponsors could place rotating ads on them too, or you could rotate pics of cosplayers or short video clips of the celebs. 

2 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I bet that crowd, 90% have a smartphone and use apps. ;) 

The hard part is getting them to download the app and use it. Gotta have incentive to use it.

The hard part was actually using your phone on the sales floor, the cell towers in the area must have been slammed because the most basic functions on your phone imposible. i saw several dealers having issues running credit cards due to the poor cell service. 

Edited by spideyfan68

4 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I bet that crowd, 90% have a smartphone and use apps. ;) 

The hard part is getting them to download the app and use it. Gotta have incentive to use it.

The incentive is you'll receive an immediate notification to come get in line for your picture/autograph! I didn't use the app at all this year. That would be a reason for me to use it.

22 minutes ago, TheCollector2016 said:

The incentive is you'll receive an immediate notification to come get in line for your picture/autograph! I didn't use the app at all this year. That would be a reason for me to use it.

Unfortunately for some people thats not enough to get them to download. I agree for me it would be too. I love being able to organize and have info right on my phone. Best time to get them to download the app is either when they buy their ticket online or when they are standing in line to get their wristband (the latter assumes good wifi or cell signal of course). Another thing is just to have updates on social and have people regularly check there. Good social media helps drive app downloads too and twitter/facebook let you directly link to app store/play store.

ECCC had registration once you bought your ticket and you could set up your schedule online/see it in the app (adding favorites, adding to schedule and so on). I liked that, but their app was really not that great imo. Too hard to find stuff once you were in the app. 

I was able to use LTE just fine at the con, but I didn't use it a lot so I might just not have noticed poor signal. Also, it could have been worse the more interior of the building due to the structure. Thats where the projectors would really help and having information areas for people to know where to go to find information versus walking over to the celebrity autograph areas where it is going to be crowded anyway.

I found myself doing it too though. I wanted to find out when Hamil would be signing on Sunday so I walked over to his line and asked one of the people standing there. I just added to the congestion since I wanted information.

Edited by kevhtx

7 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I found myself doing it too though. I wanted to find out when Hamil would be signing on Sunday so I walked over to his line and asked one of the people standing there. I just added to the congestion since I wanted information.

And if even 10% of the people milling about in the celeb area were there for the same reason (and it may have been much more), then letting those people be someplace else and get the same info would be useful in reducing the crowd.

Edited by mysterio

Hrm, my previous message is "hidden"? New to the forum...

Here is the message

Anyone here do the Jim Lee Fan Experience (CGC/CBCS)?

I'm wondering what I paid $149 bucks for. All they did was corral us into the same line the $99 dollar people got in. We got the exact same experience they did, we just paid more...

Also, since I was submitting through ComicSketchArt, we still paid a 40 dollar fee for each Jim Lee signature submitted. Was this the same fee that folks paid at the regular CGC booth for the Jim Lee witnessed signature?

Edited by Alex Nguyen

In looking at the description of the two Jim Lee "Experiences", the only difference I can see is that one included three unwitnessed signatures (although I'm guessing you could pay to get the signatures witnessed), and the CGC/Voldemort "Experience" included three witnessed signatures.  Seems like you should be able to get $120 (assuming that was on top of their regular facilitator/grading fee) refunded for the first three books submitted for SS if you purchased the CGC Experience and can show some kind of proof of that to ComicSketchArt.

Edited by somewhereintexas

I'm hearing things about this that make me annoyed I didn't go down and sort this out, so we'll have to be even more clear on this going forward for future VIP signings.

Jim Lee has a charge for graded books this was why we sold two packages.

1. The early time Ultimate Experience was for 3 unwitnessed signatures for $99. Period. No graded signatures. I'm hearing stories of people who bought the lower price package bringing in Witnesses, etc., attempting to circumvent the Graded package fee.  Not impressed, we offered two clearly defined package options for this reason. I can understand maybe someone changing their mind and contacting us about upgrading from 1 to 2. The reason for the two times was the signature witness was only required for the later time and not the full experience.

2. The later time Ultimate CGC/XXXX Experience was for 3 witnessed signatures for $150.  If you bought the $150 package, you should NOT have paid any additional autograph fees for Jim Lee to any witness/company (just the grading and shipping fees). If you went, got your autographs and gave them to the witness, but paid more fees above the $150 package price, I need to know who was doing this (if anyone actually did), so please private message me and we'll get this sorted out.

Now if you lined up for the public signing, as well, our arrangement was that graded books were not part of the public signing and yet it's my understanding that this was also violated when the rep from XXXX came up at the end of the signing and started handing over money.... Jim keeps these things off the floor, facilitators can make private arrangements with him and charge autograph fees for those private signings.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Kevin,

I sent you a pm in regards to the Jim Lee experience.  It's a lot worse than you think.  People found a way to get the Ultimate CGC/CBCS experience while only paying for the non-CGC experience. Pretty frustrating since we paid the premium to have them CGC witnessed.

21 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Unfortunately for some people thats not enough to get them to download. I agree for me it would be too. I love being able to organize and have info right on my phone. Best time to get them to download the app is either when they buy their ticket online or when they are standing in line to get their wristband (the latter assumes good wifi or cell signal of course). Another thing is just to have updates on social and have people regularly check there. Good social media helps drive app downloads too and twitter/facebook let you directly link to app store/play store.

ECCC had registration once you bought your ticket and you could set up your schedule online/see it in the app (adding favorites, adding to schedule and so on). I liked that, but their app was really not that great imo. Too hard to find stuff once you were in the app. 

I was able to use LTE just fine at the con, but I didn't use it a lot so I might just not have noticed poor signal. Also, it could have been worse the more interior of the building due to the structure. Thats where the projectors would really help and having information areas for people to know where to go to find information versus walking over to the celebrity autograph areas where it is going to be crowded anyway.

Saw this article today and all I could think about is how well this concept would apply to the high profile signings and potentially photo ops at conventions like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/universal-orlandos-jimmy-fallon-ride-eliminates-the_us_58e7b56ee4b06f8c18beeb2b

" The Official Universal Orlando app allows guests to make a reservation for “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon,” and reserve a spot in the virtual line.  Nothing new here.  Disney pioneered this system with FastPass+ that allows you to reserve spots for attractions through its MyDisneyExperience app.   With Universal’s Virtual Line, when your turn to ride arrives, you head to the “NBC Studios” entrance, and that’s where Universal got really clever.  You enter “NBC Studios NYC 30 Rock” facade, receive a colored Peacock card, and continue along on your Studio Tour.  The color on your Peacock card corresponds with lights throughout the studio. When the lights change to your color, it’s your time to board the ride.  But what do you do in the meantime, stand and wait in line?  Nope. You’re free to wander about the first floor Memorabilia Hall filled with props and artifacts from each and every era of The Tonight Show ..."

The latter half of that is just like wandering around the exhibition checking out vendors.

And to address the phone signal issue...why not have WiFi available? And phone charging stations too...phone charging stations are a given at most major gatherings nowadays.

Edited by TheCollector2016

1 minute ago, RattyLa said:

Was just wondering has anyone had their invoices posted to their accounts on submissions turned in at the show?

None of mine have posted. I was hoping it would be early this week.

In Current TAT CGC thread, someone posted they've started from Wonder Con and Verified some SS Jim Lee and even graded some others; and Wonder Con was that weekend same as FE Dallas. I think there moving right along

6 minutes ago, RattyLa said:

Was just wondering has anyone had their invoices posted to their accounts on submissions turned in at the show?

Man those are some crazy fast turnaround times for fast track, i picked fast track because someone at the CGC booth at Fan Expo said SS turnaround times were 3 months so i went with fast track since I am moving in about a months time.

3 minutes ago, RattyLa said:

Man those are some crazy fast turnaround times for fast track, i picked fast track because someone at the CGC booth at Fan Expo said SS turnaround times were 3 months so i went with fast track since I am moving in about a months time.

I got fast track too and was told it should be as soon as 4-6 weeks after the con ;) The Jim Lee SS are still sitting as verified from Wonder Con but other SS books are graded etc. I feel ya on the TAT but also as stated not a lot of action on the Fan Expo Dallas books yet.... I think that you could count on 4-6 weeks though if chosen fast track

My moderns submitted at ECCC came back within 4 weeks (non-FT)....Fast Track was like 10 days I think. All of them were SS. The only ones I'm still waiting for from ECCC are the ones that went to CCS first.

1 minute ago, kevhtx said:

Hmm, not sure what they meant by 3 months. Depends on tier and other things (like pressing, pre-screening and so on). Turnaround times have been pretty good lately.

I think that they're covering their behinds lol Remember I still have a CCS ASM 129 from early January that hasn't come back yet, they quoted me 4 months on that and supposedly have updated their TAT at CCS which should be soon if TAT at CGC is still quick and so on