• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stranger Things on Netflix
4 4

449 posts in this topic

Pretty awesome video comparing shots of classic 70s and 80s movies

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/side-by-side-comparisons-of-stranger-things-and-its-movie-inspirations

Warning it has major spoilers in it.

I finished last night and it has become one of my favorite seasons of tv of all time.

just 8 really solid if not perfect episodes. I know im partial because i grew up with all that but it was just awesome

That's pretty great. He didn't check out the similarities, right down to the walking down the train tracks scene, of Stranger Things and Stand By Me, but everything he included was great (except the stretch to "commando"...that scene was more "Data" from Goonies.)

Not a spoiler....

st11png.png

I guess I'll have to be the lone dissenter here. :sorry:

I loved the feel and look of the series, but the story did not hold up its end of the bargain. Felt like they put a lot of effort into the nostalgia/reference factor and forgot about plot.

i agree 100%- the music and the random references sparked the nostalgia- but no children behave the way those kids do- "friends dont lie"-- ya right- when you are 10- all you do is lie!

***SPOILERS***

-the ending seemed to wrap-up with a nice bow on top- too convenient...

Ok... so I gotta ask... what was up with the ending?

Especially in the coda? What was going on with the box in the woods with the sheriff? Were those Eggo's? Was it supposed to imply that he was leaving food for Eleven? And based on him getting in the car at the end, I guess we're supposed to assume that he's like covertly working for MKUltra people or whatever now? And the kid hacking up that whatever-it-was? And then jumping over to the upside down for that split second again?

Did I just miss something?

I thought it was awesome, but I think I maybe just didn't get the end-end.

I think the ending was designed to leave just enough hints and open threads (but not full on cliffhangers) that there's the potential to either continue this story/town/era in a second season, or to leave it as stand alone (and let peoples minds wander about the loose threads)

(specifics in spoiler tag)

Yes the food box is meant to suggest that Elle is still out there, is alive and is maybe in the upside/down other side (since the box is in the woods where it seemed like there was only a thin divide between the two worlds). My thinking with Hopper is that when he and Joyce were caught trying to get into the Lab he made a deal to work with them/for them (it'd be handy to have the local sheriff on your side covering things up) so that they could cross over to look for Will. It's part of his redemption story. And yeah Will has some of the upside/down in him after being there so long, so maybe now he's a portal himself.We'll have to see what comes in season 2 (fingers crossed)

My thinking on that last point

was that Will might be actually changing. Like he's becoming one of those faceless things or somehow has been "infected" sorta like the thing with Scully in the 1st X-Files movie or like in Alien/Aliens? Same sort of "knocked out and with a weird organic tube shoved town your throat stuffing weird alien/foreign stuff down inside you" thing when they pulled Will out of that webbing thing. And between the shifting ability and the thing he hacked up, it might be foreshadowing of him turning into one of those things. Especially when you add in the whole Dark Phoenix/UXM 134 mentions that were made.

I loved the feel and look of the series, but the story did not hold up its end of the bargain. Felt like they put a lot of effort into the nostalgia/reference factor and forgot about plot.

i agree 100%- the music and the random references sparked the nostalgia- but no children behave the way those kids do- "friends dont lie"-- ya right- when you are 10- all you do is lie!

***SPOILERS***

The ending did, but the coda afterwards

with the time jump? That pretty much left a lot of loose ends, IMO. The box in the wood, the sherriff getting in the town car, the kid in the bathroom and the shift & the hacking up of weird goo? Not a lot of clean ending there

***SPOILERS***

The ending did, but the coda afterwards

with the time jump? That pretty much left a lot of loose ends, IMO. The box in the wood, the sherriff getting in the town car, the kid in the bathroom and the shift & the hacking up of weird goo? Not a lot of clean ending there

I'm assuming they made the ending to set up future seasons.

IMO the coda added "hooks" to make you think there was more to the show than there was.

It seems those dangly bits are what people are talking about, so why not make them part of the actual story? Squeeze these original 8 episodes into 4 (shouldn't be a problem) and then deal with the extra mythology/questions from the coda in the back 4.

A second season following this same group and story is stretching it.

IMO the coda added "hooks" to make you think there was more to the show than there was.

It seems those dangly bits are what people are talking about, so why not make them part of the actual story? Squeeze these original 8 episodes into 4 (shouldn't be a problem) and then deal with the extra mythology/questions from the coda in the back 4.

A second season following this same group and story is stretching it.

Could be but I'd still watch it and enjoy it better then 95% of shows on the air (Game of Thrones is still king). Show was so addictive it should have come with a warning label.

I am 3 episodes in and this is an amazing series so far!

Not understanding where some of you guys are comparing this to ET.

Pretty obvious its Stand by Me mixed with Akira. (shrug)

I really enjoyed this show, and can't wait for the second season. It's like Akira and Stand By Me mixed with a pinch of Goonies, and baked in a golden flaky 80's crust. :cloud9:

The kids were the highlight of the show, I loved those little geeks.

eF8kh6w.gif

I really enjoyed this show, and can't wait for the second season. It's like Akira and Stand By Me mixed with a pinch of Goonies, and baked in a golden flaky 80's crust. :cloud9:

The kids were the highlight of the show, I loved those little geeks.

eF8kh6w.gif

excellent.jpg

I retract my previous statement a tad. Stranger Things is Akira and Kings' IT.

Definitely some similarities to ET.

Kids take in, hide, and befriend alien kid of unknown origin and difficulty communicating (here, the kid is Firestarter clone). Even more so, no one remembers the 'ethagramuthavitch' ads from recess and the ET alien (inside comic books of the 80s)? Well, in ET, the alien was hooked on recess candy -- well, here you could substitute her obsession with EGGOs.

2c

I tell people it has a similar feel of the movie IT and the show X-Files. Don't see a lot of Goonies in it.

It was probably the small group of friends, heading out on a mission to hunt something down, having the scene where they prepare all their equipment, then ride out on their bikes to find it, one shown gearing up with items, another who's a little overweight but entertaining, then heading out into the unknown and danger, etc etc etc.

That, along with the 80's wood paneling, the wardrobe, and the overall tone, I can completely see the goonies....especially those first few episodes.

Remove the nostalgia and I found the show boring for long stretches and devoid of plot. It strikes me as a blatant rip-off and equally bad for many of the same reasons as Super-8 which probably appeals to the same crowd. (yes, I grew up in the 70's and 80's but movies where that setting is the singular hook dont grab me on that aspect alone.)

Literally nothing happens for the bulk of the series and things that do happen end up being entirely irrelevant.

Would have been MUCH better as a 2 hour movie or single Amazing Stories episode.

Also much of the the acting.. just wow. The kids were great, but the adults, particularly Matthew Modine and Winona Ryder; holy over acting hell...

Entertaining? yes. Good? no.

Edited by sl4ppy

I see Goonies, as Stranger Things based on adventures of elementary and high school kids from the 1980s. Interesting background music as I have not heard that Echo and the Bunnymen song for ages. :headbang:

Yeah, the idea of young kids and their older siblings having separate adventures, then coming together at the end, is what reminds me of Goonies.

Remove the nostalgia and I found the show boring for long stretches and devoid of plot. It strikes me as a blatant rip-off and equally bad for many of the same reasons as Super-8 which probably appeals to the same crowd. (yes, I grew up in the 70's and 80's but movies where that setting is the singular hook dont grab me on that aspect alone.)

Literally nothing happens for the bulk of the series and things that do happen end up being entirely irrelevant.

Would have been MUCH better as a 2 hour movie or single Amazing Stories episode.

Also much of the the acting.. just wow. The kids were great, but the adults, particularly Matthew Modine and Winona Ryder; holy over acting hell...

Entertaining? yes. Good? no.

Removing the nostalgia also removes, entirely, the meaning behind the obvious love letter the creators were writing to everything 1983.

That's like saying, "removing the sci-fi elements from Star Wars". lol

It was a rather effective mystery, and I found the single driving plot, and all the subplots and tangents that were forwarded in the protagonists investigation of the main plot, interesting.

It was far too short a season to get boring, really. And I'm going to disagree with the "nothing happens for the bulk of the series" simply because...well...a lot fricken happens....to a lot of the character...pretty much constantly.

One man's "rip off" is another man's "homage". lol

That's like saying, "removing the sci-fi elements from Star Wars". lol

Star Wars is a great classic story that's still quite good outside of Sci-Fi. In fact that movie was made; its called The Hidden Fortress. :)

Stranger Things uses nostalgia as a gimmick; not something that adds to the story. The entire story could be set in 2012 with a modern soundtrack and nothing would change other than I suspect people wouldn't like it...

Edited by sl4ppy