• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

:whatthe:

I assume those are, naturally, all uncolored... I haven't been able to track down a completely uncolored Spider-Man.

I bought them all uncoloured but I really didn't check that closely.  They should be all unused. 

With respect to these treasuries, other than some of the more obscure ones and the colouring books, I've pretty well completed these runs by 2005 and have only slowly been buying some books here and there.

I do need to upgrade some books so I may decide to buy a few more but it's not a huge priority at this time.

As you can see, I have plenty of them and limited space.

1 minute ago, OtherEric said:

What's the book between the Christmas with Archie and the Star Wars?  It looks like Conan from the logo, but it's not a normal Marvel book...

It's a french verson of the Conan treasury

I used to have my Treasuries stacked up like greggy.  I just bought a magazine box and put them in spines down.  Does anyone think there are any issues with storing them this way? (On a side note, my collection fit exactly in one box - so I guess I'm not buying any more)

Treasury Box.jpg

13 hours ago, batmiesta said:

I can't imagine any dealer has a Treasury inventory as good as Greg's. :insane:

The quality? No.

I think you'd have to go to a major convention and luckily stumble across someone that has new inventory.

The last big batch of quality Treasuries I saw was when John Hauser put a huge set up on ebay at least 15 years ago.
I think most of those were DCs, iirc.

Here are the grade estimates for my treasuries.  Not bad considering I was just buying them to hang on the wall:

Spoiler

01 – Spectacular Spider-Man 9.6

02 – Fantastic Four 9.4

03 – Mighty Thor 8.0

04 – Conan The Barbarian 7.5

05 – Hulk 9.6

06 – Doctor Strange 9.4

07 – Avengers 9.4

08 – Giant Superhero Holiday Grab Bag (1975 – Yellow Cover) 7.5

09 – Giant Superhero Team-Up 9.2

10 – Thor 9.4

11 – Fantastic Four 9.4

12 – Howard the Duck 9.6

13 – Giant Superhero Holiday Grab Bag (1976 – Blue Cover) 9.2

14 – Sensational Spider-Man 8.0

15 – Conan The Barbarian 8.0

16 – Defenders 6.5

17 – Incredible Hulk 8.0

18 – Astonishing Spider-Man 9.6

19 – Conan the Barbarian 9.0

20 – Rampaging Hulk 9.4

21 – Fantastic Four 9.4

22 – Sensational Spider-Man 9.2

23 – Conan The Barbarian 7.5

24 – Rampaging Hulk 9.2

26 – Rampaging Hulk 9.4

27 – Sensational Spider-Man 9.4

28 – Superman and Spider-Man 9.0

1974 – Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag (Green Cover) 9.2

1975 – Land of Oz 9.6

1975 – Savage Fists of Kung Fu 9.2

1975 – Spectacular Spider-Man (Marvel Special Edition) 7.5

1975 – Wizard of Oz 9.0

1976 - Captain America's Bicentennial Battles 9.2

1976 – Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man 8.5

1976 – 2001: A Space Odyssey 8.0

1977 – Star Wars #1 (Marvel Special Edition) 8.0

1977 – Star Wars #2 (Marvel Special Edition) 9.6

1978 – Battlestar Galactica (Marvel Super Special) 9.2

1979 – Buck Rogers 5.0

1980 – Empire Strikes Back 9.4

1982 – Annie 9.0

5 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

The quality? No.

I think you'd have to go to a major convention and luckily stumble across someone that has new inventory.

The last big batch of quality Treasuries I saw was when John Hauser put a huge set up on ebay at least 15 years ago.
I think most of those were DCs, iirc.

I have a couple of hundred I keep thinking of selling.

I’ve been letting some of my low grade copies go for for awhile, but I keep debating the better ones. Every now and then, they look like the prices are set to spike, but then they settle back down.

It may be that if the prices do go up, more may come loose from long-term collections.

4 minutes ago, Brock said:

I have a couple of hundred I keep thinking of selling.

I’ve been letting some of my low grade copies go for for awhile, but I keep debating the better ones. Every now and then, they look like the prices are set to spike, but then they settle back down.

It may be that if the prices do go up, more may come loose from long-term collections.

A few hundred is a very nice stash!!!

I can remember seeing stacks of random single-issue treasuries at conventions over the years. I figured they were warehouse-type finds.
Pricing would be maybe $4 or $5 each - and then I can remember them climbing to $10 or $12 each. Then the large stacks seemed to dry up.

What was once a very fun, and relatively cheap, side branch of collecting is now a major commitment if you want to find high grade copies and complete a run of Marvel or DC.

I do love the treasuries, though! I really enjoy finding nice copies in the wild. What a crazy & fun size and concept these things are.