• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poor man's Suspense Comics #3

67 posts in this topic

Suspense 3 is a red cover. :sumo:

In my opinion, to be a poor man's Suspense #3 it has to have "hooded guys", and have a babe about to be sacrificed with a knife preferably at night. If any of that is missing it doesn't qualify to me. There are a couple here that do. Terrific #5 is on par or maybe better but it isn't Suspense #3 to me. The GA is full of poor man's bondage, sacrifice or hooded guy covers. But there is just something about Suspense #3 that pulls my chain.

By the way, nobody did "hooded guys" like Schomburg. But then I am biased...

The GA is full of poor man's bondage, sacrifice or hooded guy covers. But there is just something about Suspense #3 that pulls my chain.

Suspense 3 will probably land on the list of Top 20 GA Covers. It would almost certainly make the list of Top 10 GA covers. There is nothing like it that is in the same class.

It's pretty unlikely that I will ever own one at this point but it has been in my top five best GA covers since the first time I ever saw it. There is just something about it... Maybe it's because it's not as "busy" as most Schomburg covers. It definately has mood and a frozen moment.

I feel that if Terrific 5 is 2nd to Suspense 3, then All New 8 is 3rd. SO similar to Suspense 3 in many ways. Nothing can top Terrific 5 for best & possibly FIRST classic .... um .... "here's lookin' up your ol' address" cover ;) That hooded throne sitting dude has a "unique" vantage point ;) Don't even try to say you haven't noticed it before ......

It's pretty unlikely that I will ever own one at this point but it has been in my top five best GA covers since the first time I ever saw it. There is just something about it... Maybe it's because it's not as "busy" as most Schomburg covers. It definately has mood and a frozen moment.

When I had the chance last year to view the Penn copy in person I was really struck by the color design and how well it suited the cover and how different it seemed than any other Schomburg cover done for any other company.

It was done for Continental where LB Cole became the art director (or was their art director from the start -- the material I've read isn't clear). LB Cole did the color design for his covers and he was a genius at it. I strongly suspect that LB Cole did the color design and that's why we are looking at such a cool printed comic.

When I had the chance last year to view the Penn copy in person I was really struck by the color design and how well it suited the cover and how different it seemed than any other Schomburg cover done for any other company.

It was done for Continental where LB Cole became the art director (or was their art director from the start -- the material I've read isn't clear). LB Cole did the color design for his covers and he was a genius at it. I strongly suspect that LB Cole did the color design and that's why we are looking at such a cool printed comic.

Thoughts on whether Cole did the color design on Terrific 5 also? Certainly has that feel.

Thoughts on whether Cole did the color design on Terrific 5 also? Certainly has that feel.

It's likely he handled that one as well, though I don't think it's quite as good as some of the other Continental Schomburgs.

Four copies :o

Hooded and hot girl in danger

f32_zpsc6b2efa1.jpg

Whoa! Really vibrant colors on that copy.

The paper and the colors not the grade was the factor.

The reason I think I prefer Terrific 5 is that the torso on the central hooded figure on Suspense 3 is very odd looking. Not Schomburg's finest work in terms of convincing depictions of anatomy. Having the focal point with jacked anatomy really ruins the cover for me. But to each their own.