• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOLDEN AGE cover poll thread --- FINAL ROUND:

114 posts in this topic

Just my 2c but I'd love to see a poll that first ranks by genre (even sub genres broken out like superhero non-wartime vs patriotic superhero covers). Get all of the horror covers done. Then go for all the superheroes. The the pre/non-hero titles, etc. Once each genre is done, then the top 5 from each would be voted on for a final top 10/20 of classic covers. Probably would be crazy time consuming, but that way everybody would be happy and we could have a true idea of what the all time bests are. Until the next poll of course....

Seriously loved the poll and the format, guys. I'd really like to see more!

Don't try ranking on your iPhone. The drag and drop, while fun, takes up the whole screen with half the selections. If you try to scroll down it just changes the position of the comic your finger is on. I'll try tomorrow at work.

:sorry:

Could you post the 40 images here so I can see them all at once to judge them against each other? It would make it easier to rank them.

If not, no worries.

Ask and you shall receive. (Thanks go to Comics.org and the Photoshop batch function.) Sorry so tiny; be sure to look at the full-sized images while voting, especially for the more detailed covers that aren't already fully burned into your memory.

163121.jpg.ef2279fd68a1bc976858f7513180fc4f.jpg

163122.jpg.204059bfc2ca5a72e7717299187c9f92.jpg

163123.jpg.a90a7864a6b576d5e2f93335602e7e65.jpg

163124.jpg.eb45d0b9879fdf663b5dd6af157002a4.jpg

163125.jpg.1bb1c191e7139da7988e19b76294dcad.jpg

one - one! - Xela cover, one Flessel, no Walt Kelly. Baffling.

At any rate, as you say, opinions differ and not all worthy candidates could be included.

Thank you for an interesting poll. Looking forward to the finally tally.

Of the choices available, the ones that surprised me I end up rating very highly were Daring Mystery 1 and Fantastic 3.

In contrast, I was surprised I rated the Xela fairly low, but that was because it painted/airbrushed (its a lesser sub genre for me, and I'd like some Z-D choices if we're going that route) and I prefer the line-drawn. I also rated the All-American lower than some might expect, but I think the composition is poor. Suspense 3 is NOT my favorite Suspense cover.

Fun exercise, but I agree that a more interesting process might be going the through the same process by genre, artist, or medium to compare apples to apples before mixing it all up.

Of the choices available, the ones that surprised me I end up rating very highly were Daring Mystery 1 and Fantastic 3.

In contrast, I was surprised I rated the Xela fairly low, but that was because it painted/airbrushed (its a lesser sub genre for me, and I'd like some Z-D choices if we're going that route) and I prefer the line-drawn. I also rated the All-American lower than some might expect, but I think the composition is poor. Suspense 3 is NOT my favorite Suspense cover.

Fun exercise, but I agree that a more interesting process might be going the through the same process by genre, artist, or medium to compare apples to apples before mixing it all up.

Thanks for voting. We're studying various approaches to future surveys.

I know that there is a chomping at the bit to discuss choices, but please refrain. Feel free to discuss books which were overlooked or didn't make the cut, but not where you ranked books in the final poll. When the poll ends at midnight Friday evening we can discuss our selections and until our eyes gloss over, but we're trying to avoid is any influence by suggesting favored picks to those who haven't voted yet. Thank you for your patience.

I will add one thing about the single Xela entry. Since Xela was a pseudonym used by Alex Schomburg, he received plenty of nominations. As a prolific cover illustrator he is well represented in the polls. -RCC

Could you post the 40 images here so I can see them all at once to judge them against each other? It would make it easier to rank them.

If not, no worries.

Ask and you shall receive. (Thanks go to Comics.org and the Photoshop batch function.) Sorry so tiny; be sure to look at the full-sized images while voting, especially for the more detailed covers that aren't already fully burned into your memory.

Way to go Doohickamabob! Very helpful.

-Keston

It had me sign into my cgc account at the end with no other notifications like "finished", "completed", "you're done", etc. so hopefully it worked. hm

That said the top 10 was pretty easy as was the bottom 10 which had some good but not great covers for me. So I thought 20 were pretty great, 10 were pretty good, but at least 10 would never make my top lists.

Action comics #2 is a decent cover and the second supes appearance but I'd never rate it in the same breath with many others on that list so off to the bottom it went with several others.

It was a fun poll though so thanks to everyone involved in putting it together.

My number one choice was Captain Americas Weird Tales #74 which buys you a golden-age superhero with a classic pre-code horror type cover... :grin:

Hey, you guys are famous! Just got an e-mail from Heritage with a link to the poll.

I got one, too. I'm not sure how I feel about the attached image of Punch #12; that may skew the results if people vote for it just because it was in the e-mail.

Hey, you guys are famous! Just got an e-mail from Heritage with a link to the poll.

I got one, too. I'm not sure how I feel about the attached image of Punch #12; that may skew the results if people vote for it just because it was in the e-mail.

+1

Yes, that will most definitely result in pushing Punch 12 further up the chart than it probably would be if the image was not there.

+1

Yes, that will most definitely result in pushing Punch 12 further up the chart than it probably would be if the image was not there.

Better stuff the ballot box with some extra votes that have Punch #12 at the bottom of the list, just to even things out!