• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fan Expo Vancouver November 11-13, 2016

285 posts in this topic

I think you have a bunch of great artists coming in November.

Creators are definitely interested, but there are a lot of factors for why some guests can't attend - schedules have to align, and some have requirements and some shows can't meet those requirements - it becomes a chicken / egg scenario.

Lot of image creators on that list as well. Image is packaging and marketing company, their creators live all over the place, including many in BC.

I think we are just craving for artists that we dont see that often. The Image artists that are attending are the ones we see here since they are local.

Here's wishing that in ths future we will get the same caliber guests as TO. Afterall we are a great city.

I think you have a bunch of great artists coming in November.

Creators are definitely interested, but there are a lot of factors for why some guests can't attend - schedules have to align, and some have requirements and some shows can't meet those requirements - it becomes a chicken / egg scenario.

Lot of image creators on that list as well. Image is packaging and marketing company, their creators live all over the place, including many in BC.

Hoping for more Archie artists and few old time artists from Marvel/DC! :wishluck:

Brian Stelfreeze, Jae Lee, Ryan Ottley, Nick Bradshaw, Dan Parent, Fernando... even Ty... are they not new to FEV?

I know Chad was there before, he loved it so much he really pushed to come back.

There is a huge creator who is doing a show variant cover for us, we're waiting to see if he's available to come up.

I love Vancouver, I grew up there, but attendance at FEV is about 25% of the Toronto event. Toronto grew and expanded and as time went by has been able to attract some heavy duty talent, and certainly Vancouver should as well. Creators I talk to all love the idea of going to Vancouver, so it's not that they don't want to go.

I love Vancouver, I grew up there, but attendance at FEV is about 25% of the Toronto event. Toronto grew and expanded and as time went by has been able to attract some heavy duty talent, and certainly Vancouver should as well. Creators I talk to all love the idea of going to Vancouver, so it's not that they don't want to go.

Creators, come visit Vancouver this fall! You don't need buy one of stupid ridiculously million-dollars houses. lol

Just be yourself and enjoy the fun at FEV.

I was going to say Vancouver is getting treated like it is Des Moines, Iowa.

But then I got curious and went to see if Des Moines had a big comic show.

It turns out they do, and they had sick guests.

So Vancouver is getting treated worse than Des Moines, which is pretty abysmal if you've ever been to Des Moines.

I was going to say Vancouver is getting treated like it is Des Moines, Iowa.

But then I got curious and went to see if Des Moines had a big comic show.

It turns out they do, and they had sick guests.

So Vancouver is getting treated worse than Des Moines, which is pretty abysmal if you've ever been to Des Moines.

Road trip!

Must find Des Moines and Iowa on a map. Mid-west? (shrug)

To be fair, not all comic guests have an int'l passport to visit comicons out of USA but that will all change after Trump is elected President of USA. Cdn comicons will roll out the mat for comic creative talent who want to visit or (thumbs u relocate to the tundra of Canada.

Just curious as for a big city how come we can not attract great artists?

Decades ago, Vancouver comicons had in attendance creators like John Byrne, Todd McFarlane, John Romita Sr and Jr, Matt Wagner, Art Adams, James Jean (Fables), Russ Heath (SA DC war), EC artist, Jim Lee, and Stan Lee at 1 or 2 day shows.

Should be easier now to attract quality artists, inkers and writers now that Image has moved their office to Portland, OR. FM has attended comicons in Portland, OR before when he was working for Dark Horse Comics. <3

I remember those days when you could go to a con and meet Stan Lee and get books signed for free, or meet some serious legends in the industry. Those were the days. Don't get me wrong I enjoy cons but I too would love to see some creators out for shows here on the west coast that don't usually come this way. Being in Seattle though the Pacific Northwest has a number of shows, Emerald City Comic-Con, Wizard World Rose City, Vancouver Fan Expo and a few smaller shows. With Image moving to Portland, what you will see is Image Expo be a regular staple at Emerald City Comic-Con too more than likely.

With regards to Frank Miller I think he only attended one convention in Portland back when Dark Horse Comics put on conventions which were great. I know the one I attended in the early 90's he was at featured Mark Hamil and Mike Richardson asked me if I wanted to meet Frank Miller who wasn't listed as a guest but was in fact "there" as they had brought him out to discuss some projects. I couldn't pass that offer up to meet him especially since I had my Dark Knight Returns with me which I was having Janson sign so FM asked if I wanted them signed and I said sure. Great guy, very friendly but I can't recall a convention where they actually advertised him as a guest unless I missed that one.

Fan Expo Vancouver comic guests

This info will be added to the site soon - since flyers are out I'm posting the updated list.

Jae Lee

Superman/Batman

I set up at the Fan Expo in Vancouver the first two years, last year I didn't, crossing the border from the USA with product can be quite a pain, lucked out the first two years but passed on last year. Unfortunately I can't set up this year as I have a wedding I need to attend which is on Friday the 11th but I am very tempted to fly back the next night because I would love to meet Jae Lee and get a sketch but also to meet Christopher Lloyd as I am a massive fan of his character from Taxi and I missed out on meeting him a few years ago in Seattle at ECCC as I simply could not get away from my booth.

So far, it looks like the listing is only for celebs that will be attending.

Will there be any dealers attending, major or otherwise, so that collectors can see if it is worthwhile to attend this convention or not? hm

Good question. In the last few years back, the number of dealers was ok and the selection not bad. Nothing like compared with other cons (they're way better!).

This year it is going be in November. I dunno how many dealers will attend? Some had mentioned the hassle with customs at border, paperwork or wrong timing in past cons here.

Give bit more time for comics guests to be listed. Usually happens near the dates.

A couple dealers haven't booked this year.

The fact that you get less booth size for a higher cost this year has soured some people.

Yes... That. They need to look at other cons where elsewhere have more booth size than here. Very puzzled at their logic, crazy! lol

When the show launched it was announced as 10x10 but almost right away it was changed to 8x8 - which is the same booth size used in Toronto by the company at Fan Expo Canada.

I know it ticked off and aggravated a lot of dealers, as I've been reading about it in the years I wasn't working for the show and since coming back (I worked on the first one in 2012, but left the company later that year and returned last fall), but as far as I know, there are no plans to change it to 10x10 this year, and the dealer booth sizes remain 8x8. I'm sure they are aware that other events do things differently.

A full dealer list will be provided a couple of weeks before the show when it is locked down for print deadlines.