• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simply astonishing !! 4 photos of art that just mesmerized me !!

45 posts in this topic

j%20s%20museum%204_zpsxbcjikty.jpg

To think that someone..... somewhere on the planet actually owns these......just shook me...... I mean, there is only one of them.... ONE !!

And by their graciousness....... I was able to stare at it from 6 inches away, for as long as I wanted

That is just beautiful. On a side note, my wife would like to know where you got that shirt lol She's a huge Spy vs Spy fan

On a side note, my wife would like to know where you got that shirt lol She's a huge Spy vs Spy fan

Spy vs. Spy is the best !! I got it here Tee Fury

Hey Mike, thanks for this thread. God that art is beautiful.

Yea.... it's really something to look at them closely Dave. I noticed that some people were READING the stories. There were a number of stories with every single page of the OA. I found that I was almost completely uninterested in the stories, probably because I am so familiar with them already, but to look at the artwork was something different altogether. I only read one tale in its entirety.....a H. Kurtzman war story about a GI by a river in Korea where dead bodies keep floating past. Soon after he gets into a hand to hand battle with an enemy.

I could have taken pics of it all, but decided against it. I thought about people who go to Disneyland or somewhere and spend the entire experience behind their video cameras and I just wanted to enjoy the exhibit while I was there.... in the moment.

I only read one tale in its entirety.....a H. Kurtzman war story about a GI by a river in Korea where dead bodies keep floating past. Soon after he gets into a hand to hand battle with an enemy.

Corpse on the Imjin.

I only read one tale in its entirety.....a H. Kurtzman war story about a GI by a river in Korea where dead bodies keep floating past. Soon after he gets into a hand to hand battle with an enemy.

Corpse on the Imjin.

That's it !

I was really looking closely at Kurtzmans brushwork on that story. I bet he could work pretty fast.

Also, and my wife commented on this too.... the lettering on these pages is perfect. I mean, amazingly straight, uniform, equal, balanced and perfect ! I would not be surprised to learn a machine did it.

One more thing, many of the works have logos, numbers, titles and even artwork glued in place on them. You'd never know of course looking at a printed book, but you could see all the production work when looking right at the originals. Like the Basil Wolverton cover for MAD #11. His ugly girl artwork is glued to the center of a bristol board page with the title glued to the top, a photo of some buildings glued to the background and all the other little details that made the final cover come together as we see it in comic form

Corpse on the Imjin.

That's it !

I was really looking closely at Kurtzmans brushwork on that story. I bet he could work pretty fast.

Also, and my wife commented on this too.... the lettering on these pages is perfect. I mean, amazingly straight, uniform, equal, balanced and perfect ! I would not be surprised to learn a machine did it.

One more thing, many of the works have logos, numbers, titles and even artwork glued in place on them. You'd never know of course looking at a printed book, but you could see all the production work when looking right at the originals. Like the Basil Wolverton cover for MAD #11. His ugly girl artwork is glued to the center of a bristol board page with the title glued to the top, a photo of some buildings glued to the background and all the other little details that made the final cover come together as we see it in comic form

I believe that the EC lettering was something called Leroy Lettering which was some sort scalable stencil system that engineers used to use. I have my Grandfather's old kit somewhere.

Leroy%20lett_zps3ygirnod.jpg

EC Comics used a mechanical Leroy Lettering set for their perfect lettering.

http://potrzebie.blogspot.com/2011/09/wroten-on-wind.html

Leroy lettering set in detail:

http://www.benzilla.com/?p=5433

Here's the rest of the pics I took.

IMG_20160709_151716008_zpsgysgneae.jpg

IMG_20160709_151632789_zpsoehtsvkg.jpg

IMG_20160709_151643021_zpst5lh3ilg.jpg

IMG_20160709_144647422_zpsn3sit0fe.jpg

IMG_20160709_144637514_HDR_zpsbv3isrlj.jpg

OMG! MAD #2 is my favorite MAD cover. That WS #20 is my favorite from that title. I wonder who is the lucky stiff that actually owns these? That CSS is just off the hook. I know Jim Halpern from Heritage owns the WSF #29 Frazetta cover. Probably some of these as well.

I remember seeing VOH #30 (the hanging arm cover) at SD Con one year. I must have stared at it for 10 minutes with my mouth hanging open.

I knew about the Leroy Lettering, but I'd never actually seen the system itself.

Hey Mike, thanks for this thread. God that art is beautiful.

Yea.... it's really something to look at them closely Dave. I noticed that some people were READING the stories. There were a number of stories with every single page of the OA. I found that I was almost completely uninterested in the stories, probably because I am so familiar with them already, but to look at the artwork was something different altogether. I only read one tale in its entirety.....a H. Kurtzman war story about a GI by a river in Korea where dead bodies keep floating past. Soon after he gets into a hand to hand battle with an enemy.

I could have taken pics of it all, but decided against it. I thought about people who go to Disneyland or somewhere and spend the entire experience behind their video cameras and I just wanted to enjoy the exhibit while I was there.... in the moment.

(thumbs u

Cool. Comic book trivia ! Thanks for the links. I didn't know any of that but thought it was just hand lettered by some very skilled persons