• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pokemon Go

181 posts in this topic

Also, I've had a couple 10km eggs. Not sure how to get them.. but they have had good Pokemon.

I've got 2 so far and both in incubators as of this evening...likely a few days before they pop. Only lvl 7 so nothing special (and my pokemon are mess)

Edited by iceman399

How do you actually know when you are near something or actually find it? I don't seem to find anything. I gave it another try and walked down the block and then got in the car and went to the store before and walked around... still nothing... deleted it off my phone for now.

I really wish there was a better instruction manual.

How do you actually know when you are near something or actually find it? I don't seem to find anything. I gave it another try and walked down the block and then got in the car and went to the store before and walked around... still nothing... deleted it off my phone for now.

The manual is terrible.

Bottom right corner is a box that shows shadows or the pokemon if you have encountered and caught them before. If you click it will bring up all the ones in your area. The least number of paw prints the closer you are to a pokemon. If you want a specific one click it and then walk in a direction if the paws go up turn around and go the other way. One thing that has been happening is that if there are no pokemon in the bottom right corner you aren't connected properly (they have had serious server issues).

few tutorials online on how to do everything.

The manual is terrible.

Bottom right corner is a box that shows shadows or the pokemon if you have encountered and caught them before. If you click it will bring up all the ones in your area. The least number of paw prints the closer you are to a pokemon. If you want a specific one click it and then walk in a direction if the paws go up turn around and go the other way. One thing that has been happening is that if there are no pokemon in the bottom right corner you aren't connected properly (they have had serious server issues).

few tutorials online on how to do everything.

Maybe I will try one last time tomorrow as I am going to the park at some point. I may set it up with a new account anyway and start fresh. I was under the impression that the more marks (now I know they are supposed to be paw prints) the further away I am. I thought it was the more prints the closer I was.

At what point will I get a camera screen with the little beastie in the real world? Does it automatically take me to it?

Some areas just don't have much for Pokemon. I've noticed sometimes when you're near tons of Pokestops, like a college campus, not a lot of Pokemon appear. The are out there! Try walking around your neighborhood . You have to leave the app up , it doesn't run in the background if you close it.

When you see one, click on it to capture. You should have plenty of pokeballs to start with which will help learn the throwing mechanics. Press the ball and try to time it so the circle gets as small as possible when you let go. Toss it towards the Pokemon and low level (green circle) should catch pretty easy.

At what point will I get a camera screen with the little beastie in the real world? Does it automatically take me to it?

When you find a pokemon there is a little slider up in the top right corner that says AR (if you turn it on your camera will appear and you can catch the buggers in your surroundings. Here is one of mine:

Edited by iceman399

Anybody want to share what they've caught? None of mine are really that powerful since I'm still only level 7.

tTkSNLjl.png

Here's my son's highest combat power.

IMG_25331_zpsletwdvbs.png

And here's his "high numbers" which he tells me is more important.

IMG_25341_zpsan2wpy4u.png

What a difference a day makes. Here's the update he texted me today after we walked around the lake last night. He also let me know he's walked almost 50k since the game came out. It's worth every penny of the cost data is going to be:

IMG_25351_zpsjc2zggyk.png

When you find a pokemon there is a little slider up in the top right corner that says AR (if you turn it on your camera will appear and you can catch the buggers in your surroundings. Here is one of mine:

That one looks like going after it is a risk of ending up having to register as a sexual offender. :blush:

Buzz, don't you live in NYC? I would think it would be full of pokemon and stops.

Apparently there's a Squirtl-something inside my company facility. It's a gated facility. I'm waiting for the first person to buzz the gate & try to get in to catch a Pokémon. I WILL laugh very hard watching them beg.

Buzz, don't you live in NYC? I would think it would be full of pokemon and stops.

Tons of stops by my house. I pass by 5 in a 2 block walk to my local 711 each morning, as long as I take a little around the block detour. But so far all I'm catching is rattatas and pidgeys. Oh, and doosh chills from writing that in a public forum. :shy:

I just hit level 5, I'm guessing the good guys don't show up until later? Looking at the 3 closest gyms in my town, they all seem to be rocking 1000+CP Pokemon. Not sure how I'll ever beat that.

Tons of stops by my house. I pass by 5 in a 2 block walk to my local 711 each morning, as long as I take a little around the block detour. But so far all I'm catching is rattatas and pidgeys. Oh, and doosh chills from writing that in a public forum. :shy:

I just hit level 5, I'm guessing the good guys don't show up until later? Looking at the 3 closest gyms in my town, they all seem to be rocking 1000+CP Pokemon. Not sure how I'll ever beat that.

Yea your level helps with what pokemon will appear, as well as time of day, weather, and location you are in. I've been going to a park by water, and have run into a few squirtles, and have even caught a tentacool.

You won't. This game is going to be "won" by teenagers who have the summer off. By the time you have 1000+ CP Pokemon theirs will be level 2000. Just enjoy it. Maybe add a Pokemon to a gym your team controls. One thing I will add is that taking a gym is easier than it looks. You get 6 Pokemon to do it. As long as there aren't 5 or 6 Pokemon defending it's pretty easy to win. Keeping it is another matter.

You won't. This game is going to be "won" by teenagers who have the summer off. By the time you have 1000+ CP Pokemon theirs will be level 2000. Just enjoy it. Maybe add a Pokemon to a gym your team controls. One thing I will add is that taking a gym is easier than it looks. You get 6 Pokemon to do it. As long as there aren't 5 or 6 Pokemon defending it's pretty easy to win. Keeping it is another matter.

It's even easier if you counter the pokemon in the gyms. For example I used a Graveler with 550 CP to take down two 700 CP elementals (jolteon & vaporeon). They hardly do damage to me while my damage was super effective against them. I also only take gyms when my Collection cooldown is ready for extra Stardust and Gold. After that, let other people take it since the xp gained from taking a gym isn't much vs hitting pokestops or capturing pokemon.