• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much will the Action Comics #1 CGC 5.5 sell for on Heritage?

154 posts in this topic

955k with juice.

:applause:

:acclaim:

I was serious about that price, a wise man (Leroy Harper) told me recently at the last con I talked to him at, that "I have faith in this hobby", and I started thinking about that. this hobby as a whole is on the move, it's a very fun and exciting hobby, so bring on the record prices for Action 1, Tec 27, AS 8, Cap 1, Supe 1, Bat 1, etc. what a fun time to be an active collector/seller in this hobby.

long live the king.

955k with juice.

:acclaim:

I was serious about that price, a wise man (Leroy Harper) told me recently at the last con I talked to him at, that "I have faith in this hobby", and I started thinking about that. this hobby as a whole is on the move, it's a very fun and exciting hobby, so bring on the record prices for Action 1, Tec 27, AS 8, Cap 1 :headbang: , Supe 1, Bat 1 :headbang: , etc. what a fun time to be an active collector/seller in this hobby.

long live the king.

:blush:

was this really gerrys book?

Yes, was this Gerry's book at the $450K price tag or was it his at the $956K price tag? ???

I sincerely hope it's at the $450K price tag only, especially considering all of the grief he has caused collectors back in his days of being the Comic Master with his partner, Robert Cresthol. (tsk):censored:

So even dropping from VFish PLOD all the way down to FN- still a 2 bagger ROR. That is most impressive and just shows you the power of the unrestored narrative.

How many years have folks in the know been hunting GA or SA PLODS down, cracking, and reversing?

It seems the crack/clean/press game has much higher risk now not to mention we are over 10+ years in that cycle at this point. Low hanging fruit long gone. i.e. I can not recall the last time I ran into a 1st gen red label CGC slab. Remember those?

Most definitely a very strong result for a restored book. (thumbs u

Is that the most that has ever been paid for a restored book so far? ???

You gotta stop talking about restored books like they're all alike. They're not. The price of a restored book is always going to be related to what it would unrestore to.

Most definitely a very strong result for a restored book. (thumbs u

Is that the most that has ever been paid for a restored book so far? ???

You gotta stop talking about restored books like they're all alike. They're not. The price of a restored book is always going to be related to what it would unrestore to.

Interesting point. I just realized that out all the PLODs in the universe, a small % will have reversible to blue potential. So its not exactly as if you can print free $$ at will doing this.

Yes, was this Gerry's book at the $450K price tag or was it his at the $956K price tag? ???

I sincerely hope it's at the $450K price tag only, especially considering all of the grief he has caused collectors back in his days of being the Comic Master with his partner, Robert Cresthol. (tsk):censored:

Gerry bought this book from the widow that owned the book for $455K.

Apparently Jerry had sold the guy the book years ago and when he caught wind of the owner's passing he got 'in' by telling the widow that he was going to give the book a good home, or something along those lines. It was the 'it's for my collection, I'm attached to it' line or something like that from what I heard.

He forever had a raw scan of this comic on his wall with a large price tag while the owner owned it.

Several people heard about the passing of the owner and several people went to see the book in person.

From what I understand everyone's offer was basically used to set a price for Jerry.

After Jerry sealed the deal, larger offers came in (from people who had bid on it previously).

From what I heard, the widow was fairly upset when she finally heard the whole story.

Apparently Jerry had sold the guy the book years ago and when he caught wind of the owner's passing he got 'in' by telling the widow that he was going to give the book a good home, or something along those lines. It was the 'it's for my collection, I'm attached to it' line or something like that from what I heard.

He forever had a raw scan of this comic on his wall with a large price tag while the owner owned it.

Several people heard about the passing of the owner and several people went to see the book in person.

From what I understand everyone's offer was basically used to set a price for Jerry.

After Jerry sealed the deal, larger offers came in (from people who had bid on it previously).

From what I heard, the widow was fairly upset when she finally heard the whole story.

Sounds like a class act.

Sounds like a class act.

+1

Thanks for the scoop. Based on G.A.tor's other comment, I don't know if he saw the bottom portion of this? However if it was a total gamble and mystery if said PLOD could in fact be completely reversed to blue status, there was still the question of how much they would knock it down so in that sense one could make the conclusion that no higher offers would have prevailed in the marketplace.

It does sound like there is some kind of synergy between what a PLOD trades for and the hypothetical price of what it would in a blue case. And for this AC 1 it appears that it met the text book definition of a solid reversible candidate because the resto was so slight i.e. glue etc.

It just seems like too much money was left on the table even in skewed risk/reward ratio. And also the fact that larger bids did in fact come in eventually. Any guesses as to the genesis for the latency in those offers coming in after the fact?

Sounds like a class act.

Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$

Sounds like a class act.

While I am no fan of Gerry, it seems that all the other dealers dropped the ball in trying to bid on the book from this lady, if you are going to bid higher once you hear Gerry did, why not give your best offer to start with?

Jerry's widow sold the book to Gerry because he convinced her that he had missed the book all these years after selling it to Jerry in the first place and wanted it back for his collection. It's my understanding that Gerry had the work done to the book originally.... in a time when resto was viewed in a more rational light...... especially the very slight work done to this book. Jerry was a good friend of mine, and this book was his prized possession. I'm sure if the book ultimately lands with someone who loves it as much as he did, he would be happy. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

While I am no fan of Gerry, it seems that all the other dealers dropped the ball in trying to bid on the book from this lady, if you are going to bid higher once you hear Gerry did, why not give your best offer to start with?

Because people are human.

Because it was a risk no matter how much money you spent on the book.

Because nobody except for Gerry held the book in hand and knew exactly what was done to it.

Even big money doesn't like to gamble with a $0.5 MIL