• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much will the Action Comics #1 CGC 5.5 sell for on Heritage?

154 posts in this topic

One day I will write a book and this episode will have a chapter in it, explaining what dem1138 alluded to. But first you must pay for my investment course lol

Will there be a signed slipcase hardcover edition when "the life and times of Gator" is released?

Just came from Harley's hotel room.

:o

Hey, I had money for him. In return he gave me the backstory on the Action 1. Sort of..

Harley and I both saw the photocopy Gerry had on his wall when he was at Fan Expo a few years ago. He had the scan on his wall with a $600K price tag.

He kept telling Harley he'd get back to him with more info but never did.

When this story unfolded all became clear.

While I am no fan of Gerry, it seems that all the other dealers dropped the ball in trying to bid on the book from this lady, if you are going to bid higher once you hear Gerry did, why not give your best offer to start with?

Because people are human.

Because it was a risk no matter how much money you spent on the book.

Because nobody except for Gerry held the book in hand and knew exactly what was done to it.

Even big money doesn't like to gamble with a $0.5 MIL

This is exactly right and the reason he took this "gamble".

He owned the book BEFORE selling it to Jerry and knew exactly what restoration had been done to it.

I would also wager that he had most probably spoken to Matt about having the restoration reversed so he knew that it probably was a pretty safe bet.

While I am no fan of Gerry, it seems that all the other dealers dropped the ball in trying to bid on the book from this lady, if you are going to bid higher once you hear Gerry did, why not give your best offer to start with?

Because nobody except for Gerry held the book in hand and knew exactly what was done to it.

He owned the book BEFORE selling it to Gerry and knew exactly what restoration had been done to it.

I would also wager that he had most probably spoken to Matt about having the restoration reversed so he knew that it probably was a pretty safe bet.

Sorry, the first Gerry is with a G, the second Jerry is with a J (which is why this is so confusing! lol )

Gerry sold the book to Jerry, who passed and then Gerry bought the book back from the widow.

He owned the book BEFORE selling it to Gerry and knew exactly what restoration had been done to it.

Sorry, the first Gerry is with a G, the second Jerry is with a J (which is why this is so confusing! lol )

Gerry sold the book to Jerry, who passed and then Gerry bought the book back from the widow.

Whenever I see this euphemism for "died" I always think of something else!

But that's just me. Carry on!

I posted an R.I.P. tread for Jerry in the Personal Announcements Forum (page 7 or 8 by now)...... with more info about Jerry with a "J"........ I knew him for decades..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I just bumped this to page 1 in the Announcement Forum.....

Most definitely a very strong result for a restored book. (thumbs u

Is that the most that has ever been paid for a restored book so far? ???

You gotta stop talking about restored books like they're all alike. They're not. The price of a restored book is always going to be related to what it would unrestore to.

agree 100%..this is a game changer though..big money is to be made of grade/resto reversal.....

You gotta stop talking about restored books like they're all alike. They're not. The price of a restored book is always going to be related to what it would unrestore to.

agree 100%..this is a game changer though..big money is to be made of grade/resto reversal.....

This has been going on for quite sometime now. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Roy;

I have never ever thought that all restored books were the same, unlike many here that seem to paint restored books with the exact same PLOD brush. hm

That is why I have always stated from my first year on the boards here that they should have gotten rid of the PLOD and replaced it with an unicolor label utilizing both a 10-point condition grading system in combination with a simple 10-point restoration rating system. (thumbs u

was this really gerrys book?

Yes, was this Gerry's book at the $450K price tag or was it his at the $956K price tag? ???

I sincerely hope it's at the $450K price tag only, especially considering all of the grief he has caused collectors back in his days of being the Comic Master with his partner, Robert Cresthol. (tsk):censored:

Gerry bought this book from the widow that owned the book for $455K.

Apparently Jerry had sold the guy the book years ago and when he caught wind of the owner's passing he got 'in' by telling the widow that he was going to give the book a good home, or something along those lines. It was the 'it's for my collection, I'm attached to it' line or something like that from what I heard.

He forever had a raw scan of this comic on his wall with a large price tag while the owner owned it.

Several people heard about the passing of the owner and several people went to see the book in person.

From what I understand everyone's offer was basically used to set a price for Jerry.

After Jerry sealed the deal, larger offers came in (from people who had bid on it previously).

From what I heard, the widow was fairly upset when she finally heard the whole story.

Sounds like a class act.

+1

Sounds no different and probably tamed in comparison to how he has always dealt with his customers in his long checkered past of dealing books. (tsk)

it would be fun in a sick sort of way to see a lawsuit over it if there was some impropriety. As a professional dealer he would have presumably be held to a higher standard legally in terms of protecting her rights. And the money is actually big enough to make a suit feasible.

You do realize this is Gerry Ross that we are talking about. :gossip:

Although I have never had any dealings with him, I have heard that he and his partner, Robert Cresthol, would have pretty much the same standard of customer service as Danny Dupchak. :censored:

Apart from the shysty "it's for my collection" lies/nonsense, it sounds like she put it up for bid and he was the highest.

In hindsight it might sound like a steal, but plunking down half a million on a restored book that you plan to unrestore and then put up for a no reserve auction takes some stones. Obviously other dealers felt the risk was too much or they would have come in higher to start.

If she had bothered to do any research, she should have consign the book to somebody like CC or some other more reputable auction house who would have prepped the book to maximize its potential and she would have had to pay only a 10% commission fee. hm(thumbs u

In effect, the way she did it ended up costing her a 50% commission fee in the end for selling the book. doh!

You have to keep in mind that this is all in hindsight now....... at the time, all you had was a restored book that ended up unrestored to less than a Fine with some glaring paper loss...... for it to reach 1 million was a stretch of most people's imagination...... after just losing her husband, perhaps she just wasn't in the gambling mood (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Gerry bought this book from the widow that owned the book for $455K.

Apparently Jerry had sold the guy the book years ago and when he caught wind of the owner's passing he got 'in' by telling the widow that he was going to give the book a good home, or something along those lines. It was the 'it's for my collection, I'm attached to it' line or something like that from what I heard.

He forever had a raw scan of this comic on his wall with a large price tag while the owner owned it.

Several people heard about the passing of the owner and several people went to see the book in person.

From what I understand everyone's offer was basically used to set a price for Jerry.

After Jerry sealed the deal, larger offers came in (from people who had bid on it previously).

From what I heard, the widow was fairly upset when she finally heard the whole story.

Well, if she was upset then, I wonder what her mood must be now, as I am quite sure she must be fully aware of the $956K final sale price for the book. :mad:

That :censored: Gerry Ross!!! :censored::censored::censored: