• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding Gold in San Diego

250 posts in this topic

Booth #1006. No gator sightings.

6ce364c71352639b9eafc143b6475e612aa6fdb7.jpg

Little girl guarding those books. hm

c12266e15562298cc7cbf8500997113693639c46.jpg

7e0269717d61d935cddb3758f820754f4b6c9b28.jpg

Whose booth is that? There are two books I am looking for :)

That's Adam's booth, Filter81 on the boards. (I recognize the MF52 9.2!) I'll be speaking with him in a couple of days, so if you have a hard time reaching him, feel free to PM me as well and I'll help you make contact.

Thanks! He has some pretty legendary sales threads on these boards with incredible books, so I am not surprised at the calibre of his books at his booth.

I will send him a PM through the boards here and hopefully connect.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

a lot of those books were offered in his recent sales thread here on the boards.

Guess I am in a buying mood today. hm

Thanks to Jamie Graham for this gem I found buried in one of his boxes today :)

This was always my favorite Flessel Sandman cover.

7D408A91-4CB1-4561-8D07-BCE262C4D796_zps9qs9wllk.jpg

Hey PT;

Congrats on your pickup! :applause:

Even with a couple of small pieces out along the spine, that copy still presents very nicely for a CGC 1.0 graded copy. I have definitely seen a lot worse looking 1.0's on these boards here. (thumbs u

Seems that these lower grade entry level copies of GA books are starting to attract quite a bit of attention and buyers. Wonder if this is the new trend going forward for collectors like us without the deep pockets. hm

3 of Metro.

8b53695a17df62f49dd4c3c8b0b3503fcb516c7c.jpg

Any idea on what Metro is asking for on their CGC 8.0 VF copy of Punch 12? hm

Is it a ped copy?

It's a Crowley. You can take a closer look at it on the Metro website. They also have a White Paged 7.5 copy of Punch 12 for $34,750...

I've always absolutely loved the cover for Punch 12 with the oversized skull image, even when nobody else seem to. :cloud9:

I still remembered when CBM ran an article back in the 90's asking collectors to select their Top 5 covers. Found that article and it looks like there were a total of 35 responses for a grand total of 175 selections. Looks like I must have bad taste as I was the only one to have pick Punch 12 as one of my 5 selections. And to confirm my bad taste, it looks like I was also the only one to have picked Detective 31, which is now considered to be such a classic cover. :o

Looks like the market price on the Punch 12 has really gone up in the past 20 years. I feel really envious of the collector or dealer who was able to grab the Overstreet copy of Punch 12 at the Diamond Int'l Galleries Opening at the then outrageous price of $280 (top of guide was only $150 at the time) as this looks like a pretty good return now. Wasted my time searching the vaults looking for a copy when it had already been sold. :cry:

Interesting to note that Overstreet has now jacked up the price on this book by a full 100% in his latest price guide, with the top of guide now coming in at $24K.

3 of Metro.

8b53695a17df62f49dd4c3c8b0b3503fcb516c7c.jpg

Any idea on what Metro is asking for on their CGC 8.0 VF copy of Punch 12? hm

Is it a ped copy?

It's a Crowley. You can take a closer look at it on the Metro website. They also have a White Paged 7.5 copy of Punch 12 for $34,750...

They've had those two copies on their Web site for a while now. Even though the 8.0 is a ped copy, it's not a particularly desirable ped, which makes the gap in price between the 7.5 (with better pq!) and the 8.0 particularly surprising.

I think we all know that if the two copies were resubmitted, it could easily happen that the grades would be reversed.

Curious thing, this hobby of ours! :D

Word has certainly spread on the Fox books with the later issues playing catch-up with the early issues. Big jumps!

Baker books are very scarce, prices are still climbing.

Centaurs? Forget about it.

MLJ's virtually non-existant too.

DC's in plentiful supply.

Timelys super tough.

Lou Fine covers? Nope (Harley does have the Larson National 9).

Fiction House, only the later issues are readily available. I did see two Planet 16's.

Lots of esoteric GA in the building, typical low-demand titles.

EC's in grade are scarcer than usual.

Just my take on things, hope others chime in... having a great time!

As much as I say I can live without this show, I always get a little envious of you guys who get to go. The thing I miss the most is the cameradre of my fellow comic geeks.

But, it looks like I probably didn't miss much buying wise. Scaricity of the stuff I am looking for and the absolute nose bleed prices people seem to be asking for what little is there kind of confirms one of the reasons I stopped going.

Have fun guys, I'm still a little bummed. Maybe next year...

I snagged this Mystic 5 from Brian Peets at A-1 Comics today. It is missing the second page of the Black Marvel story, but the price was too good to pass up. He also had a nice low grade All Select 3 that I decided to pass on.

D0D7EC77-F8A3-487F-9744-58587F071189_zpswogh4rex.jpg

Nice score. I really like that one. Seems like that issue is often incomplete. Seems I maybe saw one on the bay missing something. I got a nice copy from Ted a few years ago missing the centerfold.

I have held the Crowley when it first came to market with the Greg Manning auctions.I went after it but lost to some other collector at the time along with the Punch 9.which was also in that auction.This book has always caught my eye when others had no love for it ,but to hold it in hand and look at the artwork one can see why.I have always loved black covers which are so hard to find in decent condition maybe another reason for me.Having seen both books being offered by

Metro I would say the 7.5 white page beauty would be a no brainer for me if I didn't already have a decent copy.The Crowley in my opinion is darker with cream to off white pq so the other copy would be a winner for some lover of the book.The Crowley collection also had a Dynamic 8 in a 4.5 or a 4.0 which is another tough challenge of the decent black covers collectors.A fellow board member made a very smart move and picked up a nice Punch not to long ago so cheers to a great purchase :applause:

+1

From the classic covers in your sig line, it looks like you have a pretty sharp eye for astoundingly beautiful and HTF books. (thumbs u

Especially when I don't have a single one of those books in my own collection. :(

I assume Metro is asking such a premium on the Crowley copy because of its current status as highest graded. I would be surprised if it maintained that status indefinitely, though.

Is there a Church copy? I think that question has been raised before, but. of course, I can't remember the answer!

The timing was perfect on this one, and I was happy to help secure this USA 7 for Steve. I'll let him share the details of this "timely" pickup :)

A8087E95-8EA3-4476-806E-08013C55EA73_zps3gvfoott.jpg

Hi Steve! Nice to see your happy mug with a great book!

GA books look so much better in mylars. Congrats on a nice book but let us know the details on this one, unrestored I'm assuming?

The Church copy had the cat use it as a wee wee pad but still agreat looking example

Ah, yes, I think I remember that story now.

I wonder if there any other high grade raw copies known to be out there?

Is there a Church copy? I think that question has been raised before, but. of course, I can't remember the answer!

The Church copy had the cat use it as a wee wee pad but still agreat looking example

Since this book is not in the MH catalog, I assume this must have been one of the initial books pulled out by Burrell Rowe as part of his compensation for loaning the money to Chuck to buy the collection?

Looks like a lot of the nicer and more classic covers such as the Planets and the like must have been pulled by Burrell right off the bat. Wonder if anybody like Bedrock might have an idea as to the books pulled? hm

The timing was perfect on this one, and I was happy to help secure this USA 7 for Steve. I'll let him share the details of this "timely" pickup :)

A8087E95-8EA3-4476-806E-08013C55EA73_zps3gvfoott.jpg

Hi Steve! Nice to see your happy mug with a great book!

GA books look so much better in mylars. Congrats on a nice book but let us know the details on this one, unrestored I'm assuming?

there is a little work but the cover is one of the brightest 7s I've seen. I'm going to let Steve tell the details of this pick up. :)

Word has certainly spread on the Fox books with the later issues playing catch-up with the early issues. Big jumps!

Nice little summary you have of the SD Con for us. (thumbs u

Your comment on the Fox books reminds me of something that Jon Berk had told me when he picked up the Church Mystery Men run during the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening.

He commented that although he was really only interest in the MM run from issues #1 through #10, he had to pick up the entire MM run from #1 right through to #31 (except for a few missing in the 20's), or else Geppi would not have sold them to him.

I bet he does not regret Geppi and Overstreet making him pick up the entire run now. :takeit: