• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding Gold in San Diego

250 posts in this topic

The Church copy had the cat use it as a wee wee pad but still agreat looking example

I wonder if there any other high grade raw copies known to be out there?

I really doubt it due to the fact what mother would let their child own such a book.

Well, I assume the Overstreet copy should be quite nice since they had sold it for $280 or for almost double top of guide back then in early 1995. Unless of course, this VF copy that Metro has might possibly be the Overstreet copy. hm(shrug)

With all of these so-called named collections that CGC has recozniged such as the Nicholas Cage, Dallas Stephens, the Joe & Nadia Collection, etc. you would think they should have given one to Bob's collection of books. Should not be that difficult to keep track of this provenance. Well, in comparison to these other named collectors, I guess Overstreet doesn't have much of a name in this hobby from CGC's point of view. lol

The Church copy had the cat use it as a wee wee pad but still agreat looking example

I wonder if there any other high grade raw copies known to be out there?

I really doubt it due to the fact what mother would let their child own such a book.

Well, I assume the Overstreet copy should be quite nice since they had sold it for $280 or for almost double top of guide back then in early 1995. Unless of course, this VF copy that Metro has might possibly be the Overstreet copy. hm(shrug)

With all of these so-called named collections that CGC has recozniged such as the Nicholas Cage, Dallas Stephens, the Joe & Nadia Collection, etc. you would think they should have given one to Bob's collection of books. Should not be that difficult to keep track of this provenance. Well, in comparison to these other named collectors, I guess Overstreet doesn't have much of a name in this hobby from CGC's point of view. lol

Direct competitors in the grading field??? Yeah, it does seem stupid. What have Stephens and cage contributed to the hobby?

I have a wee wee Church. It's like a pedigree within a pedigree!

I can understand why it happened. I was lucky enough to go over to John McLaughlin's house once. There were literally large piles of Church books just stacked un-bagged on the floor. A tempting target for his menagerie of cats. A very strange guy.

3 of Metro.

8b53695a17df62f49dd4c3c8b0b3503fcb516c7c.jpg

Any idea on what Metro is asking for on their CGC 8.0 VF copy of Punch 12? hm

Is it a ped copy?

It's a Crowley. You can take a closer look at it on the Metro website. They also have a White Paged 7.5 copy of Punch 12 for $34,750...

They've had those two copies on their Web site for a while now. Even though the 8.0 is a ped copy, it's not a particularly desirable ped, which makes the gap in price between the 7.5 (with better pq!) and the 8.0 particularly surprising.

Just curious here......have both of these copies been at these elevated prices on their website for awhile or have they just been increased to these levels very recently? hm

If my days are correct, I believe SD Comic Con has drawn to a close, and I just wanted to thank everyone who shared.

In the coming days and weeks, please do let me (and all of us!) know more about what you saw, found, experienced, and purchased at Comic Con.

I'm very much enjoying this second hand experience. Thanks again :)

3 of Metro.

8b53695a17df62f49dd4c3c8b0b3503fcb516c7c.jpg

Any idea on what Metro is asking for on their CGC 8.0 VF copy of Punch 12? hm

Is it a ped copy?

It's a Crowley. You can take a closer look at it on the Metro website. They also have a White Paged 7.5 copy of Punch 12 for $34,750...

They've had those two copies on their Web site for a while now. Even though the 8.0 is a ped copy, it's not a particularly desirable ped, which makes the gap in price between the 7.5 (with better pq!) and the 8.0 particularly surprising.

Just curious here......have both of these copies been at these elevated prices on their website for awhile or have they just been increased to these levels very recently? hm

I think so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEIRD-MYSTERIES-5-VF-8-/252196633808?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=3Uvc8Sw9a%252F7IOsofubiwuYk6Ihw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Back from a very enjoyable but very exhaustive 5 days at SDCC.

I wanted to first give a shout out to the dealers who spent the effort and expense to setup and interact at the show:

A-1 Comics, Bedrock City, Harley Yee, Dave Kapelka, Superworld, Bunky Brothers, New Force Comics, Dale Roberts, HighGradeComics, Graham Crackers, SoCal Comics, Motor City, F/VF Comics, Terry's Comics, Cloud Nine Comics, Richie Muchin, Worldwide Comics, Comic Heaven, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Without these guys, it wouldn't be much of a "Comic" Con. Unfortunately booth rates skyrocketed another 15% for next year, causing several dealers to question whether they'll be back and/or whether the convention is trying to force them out.

I scouted around a lot and generally reports were that sales were slow-to-average. There were some amazing books at the show, mostly Silver Age - it seems to me that Golden Age is becoming scarcer and scarcer, and when they do show up they're expensive.

What book blew me away? A killer copy of Mystery Men 30.

Got to chat with a plethora of boardies, always a highlight for me. :)

Special kudos to boardie Primetime for helping me with a book purchase (USA #7) and also for facilitating the sale of a cool Timely to a boardie up in Canada.

Cosplayers were *everywhere*.

Another shout out to the great guys at ComicLink and also the crew at Superworld (we had a fun evening at Kansas City Barbecue).

I obtained a small batch of goodies, will post a picture tomorrow... :whistle:

The timing was perfect on this one, and I was happy to help secure this USA 7 for Steve. I'll let him share the details of this "timely" pickup :)

A8087E95-8EA3-4476-806E-08013C55EA73_zps3gvfoott.jpg

So that's how I look on 3 hours sleep! :P

I'd pretty much given up ever owning a USA #7, then this copy was offered to me.

Multiple areas of amateur restoration including a taped spine, re-stapled, reinforced, a bit of color touch, etc. But the book was soooo pretty. The pages were nice, too.

I was really wrestling whether to buy it or not, understanding that any complete copy of USA #7 is going to be expensive.

I had the book in my hand and had decided to hunt down Ben (Primtetime) to seek his sage counsel. As I looked up he literally was standing right in front of me. Talk about being "timely"!

Must have been fate. I bought the book, and couldn't be happier.

Keep a lookout for more of these amateur resto books entering the marketplace, I saw just five of them and they were all nice (all things considered).

Lesson learned - NEVER give up owning a book. :)

The timing was perfect on this one, and I was happy to help secure this USA 7 for Steve. I'll let him share the details of this "timely" pickup :)

A8087E95-8EA3-4476-806E-08013C55EA73_zps3gvfoott.jpg

So that's how I look on 3 hours sleep! :P

I'd pretty much given up ever owning a USA #7, then this copy was offered to me.

Multiple areas of amateur restoration including a taped spine, re-stapled, reinforced, a bit of color touch, etc. But the book was soooo pretty. The pages were nice, too.

I was really wrestling whether to buy it or not, understanding that any complete copy of USA #7 is going to be expensive.

I had the book in my hand and had decided to hunt down Ben (Primtetime) to seek his sage counsel. As I looked up he literally was standing right in front of me. Talk about being "timely"!

Must have been fate. I bought the book, and couldn't be happier.

Keep a lookout for more of these amateur resto books entering the marketplace, I saw just five of them and they were all nice (all things considered).

Lesson learned - NEVER give up owning a book. :)

(thumbs u that was a fantastic pick up Steve! Glad I was there and the timing was right. Congrats!

Back from a very enjoyable but very exhaustive 5 days at SDCC.

I wanted to first give a shout out to the dealers who spent the effort and expense to setup and interact at the show:

A-1 Comics, Bedrock City, Harley Yee, Dave Kapelka, Superworld, Bunky Brothers, New Force Comics, Dale Roberts, HighGradeComics, Graham Crackers, SoCal Comics, Motor City, F/VF Comics, Terry's Comics, Cloud Nine Comics, Richie Muchin, Worldwide Comics, Comic Heaven, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Without these guys, it wouldn't be much of a "Comic" Con. Unfortunately booth rates skyrocketed another 15% for next year, causing several dealers to question whether they'll be back and/or whether the convention is trying to force them out.

I scouted around a lot and generally reports were that sales were slow-to-average. There were some amazing books at the show, mostly Silver Age - it seems to me that Golden Age is becoming scarcer and scarcer, and when they do show up they're expensive.

What book blew me away? A killer copy of Mystery Men 30.

Got to chat with a plethora of boardies, always a highlight for me. :)

Special kudos to boardie Primetime for helping me with a book purchase (USA #7) and also for facilitating the sale of a cool Timely to a boardie up in Canada.

Cosplayers were *everywhere*.

Another shout out to the great guys at ComicLink and also the crew at Superworld (we had a fun evening at Kansas City Barbecue).

I obtained a small batch of goodies, will post a picture tomorrow... :whistle:

Steve, I've noticed the trend on declining inventory of Golden Age at San Diego for the last ten years. More disturbing is the casual disregard for the origins of this show as it morphs into Movie-Con. I've also noticed the dealer numbers dwindle and soon only the big players will be able to set up an exhibit. Bud Plant's shrinking booth emporium was a leading indicator of this for me.

I didn't go this year for the first time in over twenty years and to be honest it didn't bother me too much. Wonder Con and Terry's show seem so much more comic dealer friendly without all the associated hassles.

Congrats on the USA pickup that is quite nice.

Best selection of golden age comics in a long time. Literally copies of every key in multitude, and tons of mere mortal books to peruse

Best selection of golden age comics in a long time. Literally copies of every key in multitude, and tons of mere mortal books to peruse

And that was just your booth. :D