• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding Gold in San Diego

250 posts in this topic

Even though I did not attend the con', I did decide to take the plunge and pick up a very nice copy of a book that I have wanted for a while when I saw it in one of the dealer wall photos. Its being paid in installments, but it should make the seller happy I would think!
planet 5 (shrug)

The Gator is all knowing (worship):sumo:

Jason, that is one great comic book... hearty congratulations! :golfclap:

Thanks so much. I am very excited about it.

love the MF14. I keep telling myself I want one until I see the ask prices :ohnoez:

It is an expensive book, but well worth it in my opinion - the iconic Superman prototype is a threshold moment in the hobby's history, in my opinion.

I love the book so much, this is my second copy (duplicates are very rare in my collection). :gossip:

love the MF14. I keep telling myself I want one until I see the ask prices :ohnoez:

It is an expensive book, but well worth it in my opinion - the iconic Superman prototype is a threshold moment in the hobby's history, in my opinion.

I love the book so much, this is my second copy (duplicates are very rare in my collection). :gossip:

Hey pm me a copy. I have lots of books that i have not listed here LOTS. :popcorn:

Some collectors were saying that dealer asking prices were too high so they were passing on purchases.

Some dealers were saying that they're competing with auction houses, they're paying a higher percentage for books, and the cost of the convention is becoming ridiculous.

I'm concerned about a rift developing - both dealers and collectors are working harder than ever (I know that I am) for seemingly fewer deals.

To clarify my earlier post, there were indeed a lot of GA books at the show but the quality items were priced extremely steep so I hardly gave them much consideration. In years past, I would have bought more books.

While nothing tops seeing the physical book (even slabbed) for making a consideration about a purchase, the sheer number of digital venues; online catalogs, auction houses, ebay, and even the boards, all with color images to evaluate, have no doubt lessened the importance of conventions when it comes to finding books, while simultaneously the cost of table space seems to have outstripped inflation over the last twenty years.

Profit margins being what they are, I imagine sales have to hit at least 50K at SDCC just to break even on a single table, with all the other expenses rolled in. I can't see how that is sustainable without a sizable inventory of very valuable books.

Buying on line is fine but a little un-satifying to me. Sitting in the dark, alone and hitting a button on a computer just doesn't compare to finding a book you've been looking for or a book you never knew about. Box diving and wall shopping trumps that every time. Not to mention you can see the book up close in your hands and leave with it.

The other great part of a con is seeing your friends and meeting new ones with a like interest. As a society we are so into our electronic devices that we miss out on human contact.

I hope cons never disappear. I always try to spread the money around to keep dealers coming back. Comic cons are just so much more than simply buying funny books.

That said, I wish ComicCon would remember what it's founders had in mind when they started it. But, I guess that ship has sailed...

Some collectors were saying that dealer asking prices were too high so they were passing on purchases.

Some dealers were saying that they're competing with auction houses, they're paying a higher percentage for books, and the cost of the convention is becoming ridiculous.

I'm concerned about a rift developing - both dealers and collectors are working harder than ever (I know that I am) for seemingly fewer deals.

To clarify my earlier post, there were indeed a lot of GA books at the show but the quality items were priced extremely steep so I hardly gave them much consideration. In years past, I would have bought more books.

While nothing tops seeing the physical book (even slabbed) for making a consideration about a purchase, the sheer number of digital venues; online catalogs, auction houses, ebay, and even the boards, all with color images to evaluate, have no doubt lessened the importance of conventions when it comes to finding books, while simultaneously the cost of table space seems to have outstripped inflation over the last twenty years.

Profit margins being what they are, I imagine sales have to hit at least 50K at SDCC just to break even on a single table, with all the other expenses rolled in. I can't see how that is sustainable without a sizable inventory of very valuable books.

Buying on line is fine but a little un-satifying to me. Sitting in the dark, alone and hitting a button on a computer just doesn't compare to finding a book you've been looking for or a book you never knew about. Box diving and wall shopping trumps that every time. Not to mention you can see the book up close in your hands and leave with it.

The other great part of a con is seeing your friends and meeting new ones with a like interest. As a society we are so into our electronic devices that we miss out on human contact.

I hope cons never disappear. I always try to spread the money around to keep dealers coming back. Comic cons are just so much more than simply buying funny books.

That said, I wish ComicCon would remember what it's founders had in mind when they started it. But, I guess that ship has sailed...

Well said. :golfclap:

Was there a Tec 27 at the con. I see Action 1s but rare to see a Tec 27 why (shrug)
yes. There were several

Have any details?

one was an 8.5 ep other was a 1.8 blue

Thought there was a lot of really nice Gold in the room, but it was expensive. That said, I don't bat an eye anymore at paying aggressively, particularly for higher end Gold, stuff that's rare, or Batmans/Tecs that are keys.

For instance, paying aggressively for any Joker covers, no problem whatsoever. Paying for GA keys, no problem. They just aren't offered that much right now and if you want it, you have to step up and pay.

Although SA keys have become slightly more difficult, there's still no shortage of them, and the BA keys, while again more expensive, are still ones you can pick up here and there for cheap.

That USA 7 was indeed nice, as were all the books from that particular grouping. However, you have to be willing to accept restored on the books from that collection as most of them were (with the exception of some) -- in the case of the USA 7 though, when I picked it up from the collection I felt the same way Steve did, was I going to see one again. Luckily it passed through my hands and I felt lucky to own it, however, briefly. Went to a dealer and then made it's way to steve, and frankly there isn't a better home for it!

The short, but sweet, Bedrock City SDCC report. We spent way too much and bought way too many comics and a very cool piece of art. Sales at this particular show were the worst that I can remember at a San Diego. We still had a blast seeing and chatting with everyone. I already can't wait for next year!

Back from a very enjoyable but very exhaustive 5 days at SDCC.

I wanted to first give a shout out to the dealers who spent the effort and expense to setup and interact at the show:

A-1 Comics, Bedrock City, Harley Yee, Dave Kapelka, Superworld, Bunky Brothers, New Force Comics, Dale Roberts, HighGradeComics, Graham Crackers, SoCal Comics, Motor City, F/VF Comics, Terry's Comics, Cloud Nine Comics, Richie Muchin, Worldwide Comics, Comic Heaven, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Without these guys, it wouldn't be much of a "Comic" Con. Unfortunately booth rates skyrocketed another 15% for next year, causing several dealers to question whether they'll be back and/or whether the convention is trying to force them out.

I scouted around a lot and generally reports were that sales were slow-to-average. There were some amazing books at the show, mostly Silver Age - it seems to me that Golden Age is becoming scarcer and scarcer, and when they do show up they're expensive.

What book blew me away? A killer copy of Mystery Men 30.

Got to chat with a plethora of boardies, always a highlight for me. :)

Special kudos to boardie Primetime for helping me with a book purchase (USA #7) and also for facilitating the sale of a cool Timely to a boardie up in Canada.

Cosplayers were *everywhere*.

Another shout out to the great guys at ComicLink and also the crew at Superworld (we had a fun evening at Kansas City Barbecue).

I obtained a small batch of goodies, will post a picture tomorrow... :whistle:

Steve, I've noticed the trend on declining inventory of Golden Age at San Diego for the last ten years. More disturbing is the casual disregard for the origins of this show as it morphs into Movie-Con. I've also noticed the dealer numbers dwindle and soon only the big players will be able to set up an exhibit. Bud Plant's shrinking booth emporium was a leading indicator of this for me.

I didn't go this year for the first time in over twenty years and to be honest it didn't bother me too much. Wonder Con and Terry's show seem so much more comic dealer friendly without all the associated hassles.

Congrats on the USA pickup that is quite nice.

If SDCC didn't raise the booth prices every year, the numbers of dealers might stop dwindling. I will be paying 700.00 more next year for my booths than I did this year. Its getting completely insane.

For us, from a sales perspective sdcc was the most successful convention we've ever set up at. We didn't sell a single af 15 xmen 1 hulk 181 etc (90%+ of our sales came from ga books) but we sold more showcase books (batman 1 superman 1 all star 8 etc) than we've ever sold at one show before. The biggest surprise for me was that even at these new higher prices there were more people buying these keys at current price levels than there were two years ago when prices were half this much.

The short, but sweet, Bedrock City SDCC report. We spent way too much and bought way too many comics and a very cool piece of art. Sales at this particular show were the worst that I can remember at a San Diego. We still had a blast seeing and chatting with everyone. I already can't wait for next year!

Well, it's good to see that everybody is in complete agreement here like always. lol

Back from a very enjoyable but very exhaustive 5 days at SDCC.

I wanted to first give a shout out to the dealers who spent the effort and expense to setup and interact at the show:

A-1 Comics, Bedrock City, Harley Yee, Dave Kapelka, Superworld, Bunky Brothers, New Force Comics, Dale Roberts, HighGradeComics, Graham Crackers, SoCal Comics, Motor City, F/VF Comics, Terry's Comics, Cloud Nine Comics, Richie Muchin, Worldwide Comics, Comic Heaven, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Without these guys, it wouldn't be much of a "Comic" Con. Unfortunately booth rates skyrocketed another 15% for next year, causing several dealers to question whether they'll be back and/or whether the convention is trying to force them out.

I scouted around a lot and generally reports were that sales were slow-to-average. There were some amazing books at the show, mostly Silver Age - it seems to me that Golden Age is becoming scarcer and scarcer, and when they do show up they're expensive.

What book blew me away? A killer copy of Mystery Men 30.

Got to chat with a plethora of boardies, always a highlight for me. :)

Special kudos to boardie Primetime for helping me with a book purchase (USA #7) and also for facilitating the sale of a cool Timely to a boardie up in Canada.

Cosplayers were *everywhere*.

Another shout out to the great guys at ComicLink and also the crew at Superworld (we had a fun evening at Kansas City Barbecue).

I obtained a small batch of goodies, will post a picture tomorrow... :whistle:

Steve, I've noticed the trend on declining inventory of Golden Age at San Diego for the last ten years. More disturbing is the casual disregard for the origins of this show as it morphs into Movie-Con. I've also noticed the dealer numbers dwindle and soon only the big players will be able to set up an exhibit. Bud Plant's shrinking booth emporium was a leading indicator of this for me.

I didn't go this year for the first time in over twenty years and to be honest it didn't bother me too much. Wonder Con and Terry's show seem so much more comic dealer friendly without all the associated hassles.

Congrats on the USA pickup that is quite nice.

If SDCC didn't raise the booth prices every year, the numbers of dealers might stop dwindling. I will be paying 700.00 more next year for my booths than I did this year. Its getting completely insane.

From a collector's point of view, it is very expensive to attend. The biggest cost for me was 2 dealer badges ($ 800), followed by the hotel ($ 550 for three nights), and then food. This afternoon, I made a comparison to the cost of attending Chicago next month. I was a little surprised that it is cheaper to attend Chicago by $ 1080 (including air fare), even at this late date.

With that said, I had a blast at SDCC, as the whole event and atmosphere (inside and outside) is something that is not duplicated anywhere else. Plus the wife really likes the panels and street scene, so she is happy.

I had a strict budget this year, and I was not going to use the credit card or the check book. I bought more great books than any time in the last 5 years. I just passed on one or two really expensive books, so that I could buy more quality items at reasonable prices. As a tall, wise man from Houston once told me, you can enjoy a $ 50 book as much as a $ 500 book.