• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

Once DC gets beyond 1944 I stop being interested.

(thumbs u

No love for Kubert, Infantino, Toth and Sprang?

Respect certainly, but limited love and limited interest.

Unpopular opinion? (shrug)

My appreciation for Kubert and Infantino is similar to the love for 'Meet The Beatles' or Rolling Stones 'England's Newest Hitmakers'. All started their careers very early in life and evolved into masters of their respected craft.

What a great thread this turned out to be. :applause: Ok, here is other ones for me. I would take Adventure #73 over a #79. Tec #29 over # 31, Fantastic Comics#3 over Suspense #3.

No No on the Suspense 3 you want both books be greedy

Once DC gets beyond 1944 I stop being interested.

(thumbs u

No love for Kubert, Infantino, Toth and Sprang?

Respect certainly, but limited love and limited interest.

Unpopular opinion? (shrug)

My appreciation for Kubert and Infantino is similar to the love for 'Meet The Beatles' or Rolling Stones 'England's Newest Hitmakers'. All started their careers very early in life and evolved into masters of their respected craft.

As a kid, I loved the Beatles until I heard the first Stones album. Don't know what it was but it changed my life. Mad me really appreciate the Masters that came before them. Keith and Brian made me beg my parents for an electric guitar. A passion that has stayed with me all my life.

OK, I'm ready to be unpopular...

As much as I appreciate their talent and contributions, Kirby, Ditko and Kurtzman never really floated my boat.

I love everything by Schomburg, Baker, Wood, Williamson, Wolverton. Pretty most all genres, titles and eras. Carl Barks was a master story teller and EC's although a bit predictable, were always a treat to find. I have read all this stuff MANY times and it never gets old.

I don't care for the early non-hero Centaurs, DC's and many Foxes as a rule. GA DC covers were as a rule, pretty boring even after the superheroes other than More Fun, Adventure and a few others.

Lucky for me I discovered Ace, MLJ, Catman, Speed and the like when everyone was chasing DC's and Timely's. But that ship has left the station for me unless I happen to get lucky.

From the eye of the artist, nearly all artist started to draw from a scratch but their visionaries were great. Most cover arts are looking basic and slight plain.

I noticed nearly everybody in this thread said about Cap America is underrated. Just curious. I do see Uncle Sam appeared in some titles. How would you like to see Uncle Sam or Cap America in those books under different titles? How do you compare them? My opinion about Uncle Sam is more patriotic than Cap America but you can share your opinion between them.

The earliest Kirby work was heavily influenced, among others, by Lou Fine, and it’s not that "accomplished", one could say "jarred" in english?

As far as the Schomburg covers I believe some are striking and/or well thought, others obviously not. And I generally prefer his later science-fiction painted work, for which I have known him first.

I like Uncle Sam turned into a comic book character a lot, as it has a sort of preternatural character. The Grand Comics Database files him under "superhero, war, occult", and I find it just perfect.

Captain America… he was meant by Kirby and Simon as a "response of what was happening in Europe with Hitler from the perspective of young men with a relatively limited experience" – that’s, by memory, how Jack Kirby explained it to me. Simon surely talks about it in his biography too.

It's interesting to see what some people don't like, lol.

I was collecting Ace comics way before they were popular, but I've never bid on a pre Batman Tec, or a non Superman Action cover.

I wouldn't throw one out if someone gave me one, but for me Superman and Batman make the covers.

On the other hand, I really love the Hawkman covers of the Flash, the Flash ones, not as much.

I like the early Flash covers when artists like Moldoff did them, but later on they became much too cartoony. I prefer the Hawkman covers too.

I really don't like later issues of Batman, The Flash, The Spectre and other DC sidekicks. They really seemed to spoil the edge of the main characters. Hawkgirl is another story. Well, she's an attractive female and didn't have to be humorous.

A lot of folks talking about Flash Comics...hit or miss title for me as far as covers go...I don't know if this is unpopular or not but I REALLY like #1. Something about it in its simplicity does it for me. Now I do know its popular to say I wish Sensation #1 was Wonder Womans 1st app I couldn't even imagine the price that book would command. Always preferred it over All Star 8 and WW #1 but I believe there have been quite a few threads about it in the past so no need to open up that can of worms. Well back to Flash Comics...Like I said hit or miss...I do enjoy some of these early ones...Need an upgrade on the #10 but it presents nicely enough for now and the #7 is an ALL TIMER imo. Big fan of #2 and #21 as well but thats just me...

15253351930_c32d5eb8fa_c.jpg

10365230705_fdf1868bc1_b.jpg

You guys are starting to say popular things again...

Here's a comment for all you cover collectors, myself included...

All those great Famous Funnies Frazetta cover books are window dressing to some inferior artwork that doesn't float my boat at all.

When I find a GA book that I can read and has superior interior artwork, it's always a blessing.

I have to say, though, that I still love S&K. Granted, some of it might be nostalgia because those were some of the first GA books I collected, and when I first started collecting they were by far the most popular GA artists.

But I would still say that the GA doesn't get any more GA than S&K.

(thumbs u:applause:

mm

I'm still on board the S&K Train :cloud9: ..... one of my favorite HC's is the Sandman Omnibus ........ man, I loved stumbling onto the occasional reprints of those in the 70's. It's a good time to be a lover of S&K (unless you want the Caps....)........ as for Schomburg, the Xela stuff is my favorite..... but many of the earlier one's are very, very well done and intricate. I long ago became unable to afford everything, so what I keep today are the favorites of my favorites, so much of this discussion is moot for me, as interesting as it is. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be unpopular because I LIKE the work of S&K lol

Edited by jimjum12

All those great Famous Funnies Frazetta cover books are window dressing to some inferior artwork that doesn't float my boat at all.

When I find a GA book that I can read and has superior interior artwork, it's always a blessing.

I agree. The Frazetta covers are so nice that I do want them, but I put off buying them because of the inferior contents. The Buster Crabbe 5 is a much better book. It has a cover at least as good as the Famous Funnies, and has a gorgeous Frazetta/Williamson/Krenkel story.

For me, the whole book is important. Pretty covers are great, but I want good contents too. I guess I'm old school.

Edited by Larryw7

I agree. The Frazetta covers are so nice that I do want them, but I put off buying them because of the inferior contents. The Buster Crabbe 5 is a much better book. It has a cover at least as good as the Famous Funnies, and has a gorgeous Frazetta/Williamson/Krenkel story.

For me, the whole book is important. Pretty covers are great, but I want good contents too. I guess I'm old school.

Wasn't the BC 5 cover originally intended for Famous Funnies? hm