• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

I know I'm gonna get beat up for these top 9 nominations, but

Weird Tales of the Future #8 is a pretty silly amateur art cover

Weird Mysteries #5 is an even bigger mystery as to why such a cheesy cover is so popular.

Mask 1??? Why?? Mask 2 is by far the better, brighter more artistic cover

Mister Mystery 12 .. dumb

Mister Mystery 11 ..Just as dumb and it doesn't help have the mystery dude in a little circle on every book.

Dynamic #8 would actually be the best cover ever if it weren't for the name "DYNAMIC" at the top. It throws the whole book off

Black Cat #50 crappy art

Horrific #3 Really? Who drew the cover? a 9 year old?

And lastly (this will probably get me banned from the forum) Crime Suspenstories 22.. There are tons of cooler EC covers than that book. I dunno, maybe if it showed guts and nerve endings dangling from her bloody stump?? Then I'd probably dig it more hm

oh! We should start a poll of lamest GA cover books. That'd actually be neat

I wouldn't argue with you on most points, but Black Cat 50 is really a great image, and CSS 22 has such a tremendous historical value as well as being over the top. Read "10 Cent Plague" and you'll realize how that cover in particular changed the entire history of comics.

Oh you'll get no argument from me that those that viewed this on the stands in the 50's were probably shocked, but the art? Well, that is where we'll have to agree to disagree :foryou:

Weird Mysteries #5 is an even bigger mystery as to why such a cheesy cover is so popular.

Mister Mystery 11 ..Just as dumb and it doesn't help have the mystery dude in a little circle on every book.

Dynamic #8 would actually be the best cover ever if it weren't for the name "DYNAMIC" at the top. It throws the whole book off

Black Cat #50 crappy art

And lastly (this will probably get me banned from the forum) Crime Suspenstories 22.. There are tons of cooler EC covers than that book. I dunno, maybe if it showed guts and nerve endings dangling from her bloody stump?? Then I'd probably dig it more hm

I wouldn't argue with you on most points, but Black Cat 50 is really a great image, and CSS 22 has such a tremendous historical value as well as being over the top. Read "10 Cent Plague" and you'll realize how that cover in particular changed the entire history of comics.

Oh you'll get no argument from me that those that viewed this on the stands in the 50's were probably shocked, but the art? Well, that is where we'll have to agree to disagree :foryou:

It's not Frazetta, but it has a solid "comic art" quality to it. Elias has been compared to Caniff, and I can't disagree.

As one who did view these books on the local news stand in the early '50's, I can tell you that at least for me, the shock value came from the cover images of supernatural beings, such as vampires and skeletons, overpowering and terrifying people. Atlas horror titles seemed to have it down to a science.

AFA artwork, remember, these were the absolute cheapest periodicals available; even the pulps were 15 cents to a quarter, so one could hardly expect superlative artwork on the cover or the insides. The publishers had no incentive to pay for it.

My vote for best covers would be the later Famous Funnies issues with Frank Frazetta cover artwork.

PCH art. Now you guys are in my wheelhouse. Let's not even talk about Ingels and Craig, because that wouldn't even be fair. Elias, Kremer-masters of comic art. Nostrand-hit or miss. Everett, Crandall, Heath? Perfection.

Now for Craig. I don't dislike his stuff, but he seems to be best when he's up close. Chest up or head shots with a little background. CSS22 is the icon it is today because of one man: Estes Kefauver. Those hearings, and Bill Gaines time under pressure and that awesome answer? THAT is why the book is key. There were far better and far gorier horror books swirling around it. It is its place in history that makes it key.

The lesser titles, Weird Mysteries, et al, went for gore instead of art, composition, perspective, story. If you want fun, over the top reading material, they are great (as are Farrell titles).but I don't get the gorilla brain and heart ripped out covers getting all the love that they receive, when books like TFTC37 barely get a blip.

Black Cat #50 crappy art

I love a lot of these covers, though am on record that MM #12 is a bit overrated, but I wouldn't call it dumb. The one area I'm with you on is Mask #1 - #2 is a better cover - but neither one does as much for me as other "classic" Cole covers from the 1940s.

I'm a big PCH fan but think Mister Mystery 12 is waaay overated.

Just a roughly drawn oversized eye and a hot poker.

Not a big fan of this cover, sorry! :fear:

yeah, it's a cool cover, but not one of the all time PCH classics IMHO.

:o

For me It's Crypt of Terror #17. I need this book for my EC collection and it can get pricey in higher grades. I know it's a key issue, but it is one of my least favorite EC covers.

.....get a coverless copy :insane: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

PCH art. Now you guys are in my wheelhouse. Let's not even talk about Ingels and Craig, because that wouldn't even be fair. Elias, Kremer-masters of comic art. Nostrand-hit or miss. Everett, Crandall, Heath? Perfection.

Now for Craig. I don't dislike his stuff, but he seems to be best when he's up close. Chest up or head shots with a little background. CSS22 is the icon it is today because of one man: Estes Kefauver. Those hearings, and Bill Gaines time under pressure and that awesome answer? THAT is why the book is key. There were far better and far gorier horror books swirling around it. It is its place in history that makes it key.

The lesser titles, Weird Mysteries, et al, went for gore instead of art, composition, perspective, story. If you want fun, over the top reading material, they are great (as are Farrell titles).but I don't get the gorilla brain and heart ripped out covers getting all the love that they receive, when books like TFTC37 barely get a blip.

EC had so many great covers, and none of them scarce, that a great deal of them are under appreciated. It wasn't that long ago that CSS #22 was only worth a small premium over the surrounding issues, and if any other title had a graphic depiction of someone blowing their brains out on the cover, like CSS #17, it would be on everyone's top ten crime cover list.

Personally, I'll take Craig and Davis over Ingels, but all of them did excellent work both on the covers and inside the various horror titles they dominated. TFTC 37 is a cool cover, but rotting animated corpses lurking in graveyards was pretty standard fare for horror books, so it's easy to see why it's overlooked.

Unpopular opinion of the day.

Frazetta was a very talented illustrator, but his impact on comics was virtually nil. He didn't even generate much in the way of imitators (even weak ones), except for Angelo Torres, and his output was small. I appreciate the skill level behind his work, but it's almost too precious. It lacks a "comic book" energy that some of his contemporaries accomplished more readily - thinking of guys like Toth and Davis in particular.

If it wasn't for his painted Warren and paperback covers from the 1960s, he'd be a footnote.

I’m more a fan of Craig over Davis or Ingels, as I favour anything with a competent Milton Caniff influence, although Craig was exceptional at EC. That said, I wouldn’t pay a huge premium just for a cover alone, gory PCH or modern variant.

Unpopular opinion of the day.

Frazetta was a very talented illustrator, but his impact on comics was virtually nil. He didn't even generate much in the way of imitators (even weak ones), except for Angelo Torres, and his output was small. I appreciate the skill level behind his work, but it's almost too precious. It lacks a "comic book" energy that some of his contemporaries accomplished more readily - thinking of guys like Toth and Davis in particular.

If it wasn't for his painted Warren and paperback covers from the 1960s, he'd be a footnote.

:facepalm:

Black Cat #50 crappy art

It's not Frazetta, but it has a solid "comic art" quality to it. Elias has been compared to Caniff, and I can't disagree.

Black Cat Mystery 50 was drawn by Warren Kremer.

Black Cat #50 crappy art

I may be wrong, but I thought the current belief is that is Lee Elias working from a Kremer layout.

Feldstein was the greatest good girl comic artist.

Don't hear that much, but it's what I think. Renee was great too.

I love Feldstein's EC work, but his Fox GGA is just okay for me. He emphasized boobs in clothing, but many other artists drew sexy women better.

Black Cat #50 crappy art

I can agree with a lot but as far as WM5 goes: exposed brains, Baily art and a great color pallet! Inside: a great Wolverton story plus a great letter from the editor defending themselves from the oncoming CCA threat make this book a winner in my eyes!

WeirdMysteries5_zpscc2827e2.jpg

Black Cat #50 crappy art

I may be wrong, but I thought the current belief is that is Lee Elias working from a Kremer layout.

If it's signed Elias then it's Elias based on a Kremer design. I don't see much reason to attribute the unsigned ones to Elias when Kremer was the primary designer and very talented in his own right.