• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC vs The Super Bowl???

65 posts in this topic

As a football fan, the SB sux unless your team is in it. It's a made for tv event. Countless game delays, and an endless halftime.

Much better to watch on tv with 50 friends.

You couldn't pay me to go to San Diego.

Have to be blunt with you.

EVERYONE wants to go to SDCC just like University of Michigan vs Ohio State University football game either in Ann Arbor or Columbus. Just one stupid weekend. All hotels always increase the room rates by four times of the normal rate. It goes same thing for San Diego while SDCC is going on. All hotels are more expensive. I am very sure the whole city becomes pricey when it hosts Super Bowl.

I DON'T enjoy overcrowded places and pricey things. It's always hard to get the tickets online to attend SDCC every year like UM vs OSU games or Super Bowl.

I ALWAYS enjoy any city before or after SB and SDCC. All prices are normal that I can afford.

No differences but vibes are always there.

I don't understand the appeal of the Superbowl.

I'd choose SD - it's so much more than just a comic book convention. It's a destination get-away that is comic themed.

What would you pay for Superbowl tix?

Flights/hotel/tix, etc is probably a $5000+ experience, depending on how you do your trip but there is no other con in the world where the city itself becomes a convention. Add in the perfect weather and all the people you meet and see and to me there is no comparison.

There is also more to the SB than just the game. And if it is in a nice destination that would certainly help.

Like the live show? Often the sound quality is poor for those shows from what I remember. Destination is a great one but San Diego is a destination spot to itself, even without Comic Con.

If you like Football I can understand the appeal with the SB, but for someone who is not a football fan I'd prefer SD because it has wider appeal with everything from music to movies to comics to weather, etc.

My daughter and I were waiting for Killing Joke to start at our local cinema and she was so excited because the theatre was packed and she looked around and said these are all real fans. It's so awesome. Then she said that she was proud that pop culture is so huge nowadays and that's she's loved it since she could talk. She then says that comic book culture is as big as sports is nowadays. Which I thought was a pretty bold statement but probably not far from the truth.

My question is this (and I know it's biased posing on a comic book forum) but if you were offered an all expenses paid trip to the Super Bowl or to Comic Con, which one would you choose? She seems to think it would be fifty/fifty and I don't think that's a fanciful ideal.

What say you?

Jim

For me it would be SDCC all the way. Even if my hometeam Seahawks were in the Superbowl, I'd still choose SDCC. Reason being that the con is an interactive experience. We the people really are the show. I mean there are many sights and sounds to be had, but it is interactive and not just a viewer from the sidelines. Now granted I imagine it may be more of a 50/50 trade off if engaging in all the Superboowl activities surrounding the event for several days preceding the game, but otherwise I'll take something interactive over ANY kind of show just viewed as a spectator.

I'd choose SD - it's so much more than just a comic book convention. It's a destination get-away that is comic themed.

Flights/hotel/tix, etc is probably a $5000+ experience, depending on how you do your trip but there is no other con in the world where the city itself becomes a convention. Add in the perfect weather and all the people you meet and see and to me there is no comparison.

There is also more to the SB than just the game. And if it is in a nice destination that would certainly help.

Like the live show? Often the sound quality is poor for those shows from what I remember. Destination is a great one but San Diego is a destination spot to itself, even without Comic Con.

If you like Football I can understand the appeal with the SB, but for someone who is not a football fan I'd prefer SD because it has wider appeal with everything from music to movies to comics to weather, etc.

I mean the whole week. There are all kinds of events leading up to the SB. And there are plenty of cities the SB is at that are destination spots on their own.

I mean the whole week. There are all kinds of events leading up to the SB. And there are plenty of cities the SB is at that are destination spots on their own.

Ah, see I did not realize that. See how little I know about Football? I thought it was just about the show on the weekend.

That makes sense. (thumbs u

If the Jets made the Superbowl I think everyone here should say they would drop everything and go to the Superbowl.

1 - It would never happen again in your lifetime.

2 - It's not like it will ever happen, so it's a safe statement to make... sort of like... "If I ever get selected to go to Mars I am so totally going to name drop CGC, Greggy and Bababooey at my press conference."

I would take the Superbowl tickets and sell them..., 'cause I wouldn't go to either.

for me and my family, if it was the Chicago bears playing in the super bowl it would have to be the super bowl, any other match up SDCC for sure!

Dream to do both someday well if the Bears ever make it back there

This is so overwhelmingly in the Superbowl's favor that I'm now curious.

The interesting thing (to me - I grew up playing football and watching the NFL, but haven't done so for the last decade or so) is that there are now so many things for so many different people at SDCC. It's a media event doing it's best to encompass all of pop culture... I know some wish it hadn't evolved that way, but there it is.

The Superbowl, as Super as it is, is pretty much all about the game - yes, there are events and such going on in the hosting city, but do those extra attractions really compare to the variety that shows up to SDCC? Isn't it, for the most part, simply bars and restaurants doing the same old things they always do, but with 'Superbowl" plastered over it? I'm sure bars and restaurants do similar in San Diego when Comic Con comes to town.

So, long story short, those of you that have been to the Superbowl, what's the big attraction as an event location... or is there more to do than just eat, drink, and throw footballs at NFL sponsored events? Or is it just the electric atmosphere of a big match up just around the corner (never mind they're duds more often than not)?

See and I thought SDCC was less accessible. A lottery for tickets, lottery for hotels, lottery for parking passes.

I thought both were pretty comparable when it came to difficulty/unease of getting in.

I get all the people who say well if my team was in, no contest but what if your team isn't in? I mean at the Final Four after Saturday nights semis, you can get tickets for next to nothing because many of the supporters of the losing teams head home and could care less about the National Championship game Monday night.

Nothing is more anti climatic for me then watching two teams battle out any sport that I could care less about.

BTW my daughter is shocked that on a comic book chat board that SDCC is losing 3 to 1.

Jim

See and I thought SDCC was less accessible. A lottery for tickets, lottery for hotels, lottery for parking passes.

I thought both were pretty comparable when it came to difficulty/unease of getting in.

I get all the people who say well if my team was in, no contest but what if your team isn't in? I mean at the Final Four after Saturday nights semis, you can get tickets for next to nothing because many of the supporters of the losing teams head home and could care less about the National Championship game Monday night.

Nothing is more anti climatic for me then watching two teams battle out any sport that I could care less about.

BTW my daughter is shocked that on a comic book chat board that SDCC is losing 3 to 1.

Jim

that's cause this board isn't made up of real comic fans, just a bunch of dealers, flippers and speculators

:banana:

That's funny ! lol

Yet, I'm a real comic book fan (never sold, flipped, or speculated on a comic in my life - yet) & I'd prefer the Super Bowl over SDCC as I don't believe SDCC is really about comic books anymore.

I'm glad I went to a couple 15-20 years ago when it was. :grin: