• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suicide Squad 48 Cover Art - Heritage Auction...nicely timed Joker & Oracle cvr

20 posts in this topic

Ha! I remember when this cover was "unwanted." It was bought and sold or traded a couple of times, never staying in any one collection for long. IIRC, it finally found a home with one of the Rubens.

Ha! I remember when this cover was "unwanted." It was bought and sold or traded a couple of times, never staying in any one collection for long. IIRC, it finally found a home with one of the Rubens.

Guilty...but I sold it when I was still in college.

Not a big fan of it but that is personal taste.

Really people don't like it? I thought it captures the Joker perfectly with his smile. I Don't think the animated "Killing Joke" movie is what get it a price since it was only in theaters by my understating for one night. It's probably more to do with the "Suicide Squad" movie, with their over marketing of the Joker even though he is only going to be in the movie for around 15 minutes from what I heard.

I've wanted a Lightle cover forever...but would prefer a Legion one!

This one is very creepy - no doubt. Hope it finds a good home.

Really people don't like it? I thought it captures the Joker perfectly with his smile. I Don't think the animated "Killing Joke" movie is what get it a price since it was only in theaters by my understating for one night. It's probably more to do with the "Suicide Squad" movie, with their over marketing of the Joker even though he is only going to be in the movie for around 15 minutes from what I heard.

I like the piece.

The Killing Joke movie is having a limited run in theaters, it was originally slated for a DVR release only.There are a few reasons why this piece is in much more demand than it was , years ago.

The Killing Joke and Suicide Squad movies are not the bigger reasons IMO.

The book itself has been hot for about 2 years or so, it was never as popular as The Killing Joke was itself but as it is so closely related to the Killing Joke...and it is pretty much an iconic cover....the demand for slabbed 9.8's of this book has blown up, compared to how collectors viewed this book a couple years earlier.

It follows that the original cover art to the book will bring multiples of what it last sold for earlier.

I like the piece.

The Killing Joke movie is having a limited run in theaters, it was originally slated for a DVR release only.There are a few reasons why this piece is in much more demand than it was , years ago.

The book itself has been hot for about 2 years or so, it was never as popular as The Killing Joke was itself but as it is so closely related to the Killing Joke...and it is pretty much an iconic cover....the demand for slabbed 9.8's of this book has blown up, compared to how collectors viewed this book a couple years earlier.

It follows that the original cover art to the book will bring multiples of what it last sold for earlier.

This piece has nothing to do with the Killing Joke, the actual Killing Joke...at least not to experienced original art collectors. The characters are nice and interesting and happen to be the same ones as the original killing joke, but that's where it ends.

Experienced OA collectors collect artists far more often than characters. That's how prices are determined. That's how values are set. The value of comics is similarly irrelevant to what OA sells for.

That's not to say a couple guys won't get stupid for this cover making tenuous connections to movies or the original story, but that's not really the same thing as a rational relationship to stable valuation spikes.

Also 2004 to 2016 in OA terms might as well be 1,000 years. This piece having sold for more than it did in 2004 is what you'd expect for the OA market in general. If you take a gander at what quality pieces sold for in 2004 across artists and titles you'll find this type of appreciation on hundreds and thousands of pieces.

As well, I expect that the Killing Joke animated feature will have little to no impact on the value of original, actual, Killing Joke pages...those pages are doing pretty much ok without the movie.

I like the piece.

This piece has nothing to do with the Killing Joke, the actual Killing Joke...at least not to experienced original art collectors. The characters are nice and interesting and happen to be the same ones as the original killing joke, but that's where it ends.

Experienced OA collectors collect artists far more often than characters. That's how prices are determined. That's how values are set. The value of comics is similarly irrelevant to what OA sells for.

That's not to say a couple guys won't get stupid for this cover making tenuous connections to movies or the original story, but that's not really the same thing as a rational relationship to stable valuation spikes.

Also 2004 to 2016 in OA terms might as well be 1,000 years. This piece having sold for more than it did in 2004 is what you'd expect for the OA market in general. If you take a gander at what quality pieces sold for in 2004 across artists and titles you'll find this type of appreciation on hundreds and thousands of pieces.

As well, I expect that the Killing Joke animated feature will have little to no impact on the value of original, actual, Killing Joke pages...those pages are doing pretty much ok without the movie.

Personally think the movie kills the prices of the original Killing Joke art pages. I would be more than happy to take your KJ page off your hands before it tanks further :baiting:

I like the piece.

Personally think the movie kills the prices of the original Killing Joke art pages. I would be more than happy to take your KJ page off your hands before it tanks further :baiting:

:ohnoez:

I like the piece.

Where do you guess this ending at than, without the juice? It stayed pretty stagnate, but that's not really an indicator since pieces go sky high during the live bidding.

I like the piece.

Where do you guess this ending at than, without the juice? It stayed pretty stagnate, but that's not really an indicator since pieces go sky high during the live bidding.

Hard to say. I've owned many Lightle covers over the years, I still own several. Where it's sitting now is right in the middle of the pack.

His values vary WILDLY depending on the subject matter, etc. Over the last couple of years you could have paid $600 for one of his covers or as much as $8,000+. This piece feels like it's in the middle. It's light on details for a Lightle, who's known for his intricate background details, so I'd expect it to end somewhere between $4k and $5k (All in) unless someone decides they've GOT TO HAVE IT, against someone similarly bent. It's tough to justify $6k or more with the image on the page. The higher it goes the longer the owner gets to keep it. :grin:

There are two really active bidding periods....the first week it goes live and then the last 30 seconds. lol

Yup....I owned it for awhile. Can't remember why I sold it (shrug)

I owned that cover for about 2 1/2 years in the mid 2000's -- bought it for $400 and sold it for $700. I guess I should have held onto it longer :)

I love Steve Lightle's art, but I found the image to be a bit off-putting. I admit, I'm one of the few people who didn't really care for the Killing Joke, even though Bolland's art is beautiful. I still have a few other Lightle pieces, although sadly I never did get a Classic X-Men cover.