• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Jack Davis

67 posts in this topic

My condolences to his family and friends. Jack Davis was one of the greats, from any era of comics. A professional through and through who always gave his best. He will be remembered and missed by all his fans.

Jack Davis. What a man. What a talent. My first memory of his art: his Cowboy comparison with Kurtzman in Mad #20.

In case you haven't seen it yet, it's still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Mad+020+Jack+Davis+2+001.jpg

And the rest of it: http://jeffoverturf.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html

This is great!!

A buddy of mine owns the cover to MAD 27 that I get to salivate over whenever we hang. Davis sure knew how to capture that raw, neat, illustration feel. A legend that will be missed.

Agree with everyone's sentiments, a great Master Illustrator who's distinctive artistry was an American institution.

Jack's, along with Kelly Freas, Mad Magazine covers were iconic as well as his mainstream cover art for TV Guide.

I grew up with his art everywhere, magazines, movie posters, record covers, paperbacks, and it was always unmistakably identifiable as a Jack Davis illustration.

Thank you Jack. :angel:

RIP.

Wow all the greats are leaving us :( R.I.P

No, I believe the last surviving EC artist Marie Severin.

Isn't Angelo Torres still with us too?

Although not a regular EC artist, Russ Heath is also still with us and he drew a couple of stories for the EC comics:

"O.P.!" in Frontline Combat #1 - August 1951

"Plastic Sam!" in MAD #14 - August 1954

Here's an excerpt from my comic journal (over in the journal section) that I posted late last year...sums up how Jack Davis influenced my collecting today:

Another childhood dynamic that drew me ever closer to everlasting EC devotion involves my favorite artist to this day….Jack Davis:

Jack+and+cane.jpg

As a kid, Mad was the only EC title I collected…the non-Mad EC stuff wasn’t even on my radar screen. I had no idea at that time what awesome work Davis had done in all the other EC titles (Tales From the Crypt, in particular). Probably for the best, anyway (Wertham would have approved of my blissful childhood ignorance). All I knew was that Jack Davis was doing awesome stuff within the pages (and covers) of Mad magazine…and for the University of Georgia Bulldogs.

As I mentioned above, I grew up in Georgia…in a small town about 20 minutes away from Athens, which is the home of UGA. Needless to say, I was a fan of the university, as well as its football team…this was the era of Herschel Walker and national championships. No surprise that I wound up going there for undergrad. Well…guess who else is from Georgia and went to UGA for undergrad…JACK DAVIS! We’re practically related. :D

During my childhood, most of the marketing-type propaganda for the UGA football team was drawn by Jack Davis. In my room, among my posters of Cheryl Tiegs (remember the pink bikini :luhv: ), Farrah Fawcett, and Christie Brinkley, hung lots of posters of Jack Davis artwork…like these (images from georgiamuseum.org):

home_cartoon.jpg

sidebar-jd-bulldog.jpg

Remove the football uniform from Hairy Dawg, and imagine how much he would resemble a Jack Davis werewolf from Tales From the Crypt. I would say that it was Davis’ UGA artwork (which I was constantly surrounded by), more so that his artwork in Mad, that wound up leaving a lasting imprint…now, when I look at his broader EC portfolio, everything resonates.