• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

Kovac, just so you know, if Doug's run was in the 59-101 category his total comes out about 25,500 points...approx.

.....so if we combined total from the currnet top 3 we'd have that total! thumbsup2.gif

Ok, not an entirely feasible goal post to aim for, actually make that completely unfeasible! confused-smiley-013.gif

I see, I see.......................... Let me get this straight: What your proposing Mr. Pym is a strategic alliance, a pooling of our individual assets to create the Uberset,

the one weapon that could defeat the evil Darth Schmell at his own game! Why, its brilliant! He'll never see it coming! Comic collectors sharing! 27_laughing.gif A possible sign of the Apocalypse, but there it is! Nothing's impossible after this!

BTW, what will we call this new set? Mr Bigvac? Big Pym Saga? Pymkor Fan?

Mr Hulk Saga? And I call dibs on the set for the winter when I need them most! You guys can fight for the remaining 8 months of the year! What about shipping?

Big $$$$ there! For Bill and I its no problem, we could drive them to each other's houses, but the whole set to England?!?! We'll have to work that out. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Kovac, just so you know, if Doug's run was in the 59-101 category his total comes out about 25,500 points...approx.

.....so if we combined total from the currnet top 3 we'd have that total! thumbsup2.gif

Ok, not an entirely feasible goal post to aim for, actually make that completely unfeasible! confused-smiley-013.gif

I see, I see.......................... Let me get this straight: What your proposing Mr. Pym is a strategic alliance, a pooling of our individual assets to create the Uberset,

the one weapon that could defeat the evil Darth Schmell at his own game! Why, its brilliant! He'll never see it coming! Comic collectors sharing! 27_laughing.gif A possible sign of the Apocalypse, but there it is! Nothing's impossible after this!

Mr Hulk Saga? And I call dibs on the set for the winter when I need them most! You guys can fight for the remaining 8 months of the year! What about shipping?

Big $$$$ there! For Bill and I its no problem, we could drive them to each other's houses, but the whole set to England?!?! We'll have to work that out. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I like

Big Pym Saga thumbsup2.gif

I like

First of all the plan does have legs!! But if I inadvertantly move back to NZ with less than a whisper to be heard from again, you'll only have yourselves to blame!! juggle.giftakeit.gif

I can't recall but I think there's about 300 odd islands for me to choose from yay.gif ..Waiheke, Rangitoto, Motatapu, little Barrier, Great Barrier, Mercury.....

But ok, while none of us individually are going to assualt the Darth Scmell's total anytime between now and next week, when it needs 3 of us combined to bust it, you got to admit ...it just doesn't seem right Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif

And it's not like we're short a ped or 2....speaking of which, if I read right, you can put me down in the que for Kovac's White Mountains if they're ever pried away from his substantial holdings!

And by the way, that is damn respectable collection Kovac's got in the entire TTA run! Kind makes me regret letting go of my earlier issues, they are fantastic books, and great early Marvel classics! hail.gifhail.gif

I like

First of all the plan does have legs!! But if I inadvertantly move back to NZ with less than a whisper to be heard from again, you'll only have yourselves to blame!! juggle.giftakeit.gif

I can't recall but I think there's about 300 odd islands for me to choose from yay.gif ..Waiheke, Rangitoto, Motatapu, little Barrier, Great Barrier, Mercury.....

But ok, while none of us individually are going to assualt the Darth Scmell's total anytime between now and next week, when it needs 3 of us combined to bust it, you got to admit ...it just doesn't seem right Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif

And it's not like we're short a ped or 2....speaking of which, if I read right, you can put me down in the que for Kovac's White Mountains if they're ever pried away from his substantial holdings!

And by the way, that is damn respectable collection Kovac's got in the entire TTA run! Kind makes me regret letting go of my earlier issues, they are fantastic books, and great early Marvel classics! hail.gifhail.gif

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Pym cool.gif My moniker is however "Korvac" and not "Kovac". It comes from perhaps the greatest Avengers tale in issues #167- 177 which are collected in the Marvel Legends TPB "The Korvac Saga". HIGHLY recommended!!!!!!! hail.gifhail.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Pym cool.gif My moniker is however "Korvac" and not "Kovac". It comes from perhaps the greatest Avengers tale in issues #167- 177 which are collected in the Marvel Legends TPB "The Korvac Saga". HIGHLY recommended!!!!!!! hail.gifhail.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Apologies there, I was wondering where it came from there. I will keep an eye for those issue's as well, thats certainly high praise.

So about shipping those books over.... thumbsup2.gif

Seriously though I take it your looking to fill out the rest of the run before to long?

My newest TTA + a top census copy to boot:

Korvac, I was looking at the book on the bay, and was a little surprised by the final sale price. It was fairly healthy I thought.

TTA's seem to get a mixed reaction these days, they either do 'fair to average', or sell for a healthy margin. And this was one of them.

Good pick up! thumbsup2.gif

My newest TTA + a top census copy to boot:

Korvac, I was looking at the book on the bay, and was a little surprised by the final sale price. It was fairly healthy I thought.

TTA's seem to get a mixed reaction these days, they either do 'fair to average', or sell for a healthy margin. And this was one of them.

Good pick up! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Mr Pym!! GP max for this book was $437, so I paid only $1 less. When you factor in the shipping its a new high. tongue.gif I'm glad to have it though cloud9.gif

I know what you mean by a "mixed reaction". Your #70 went for a fraction of what some have paid for that book. Great pickup for you of course 893applaud-thumb.gif I guess we'll really see those prices climb if we're both shooting for the same book sumo.gif

Thanks Mr Pym!! GP max for this book was $437, so I paid only $1 less. When you factor in the shipping its a new high. tongue.gif I'm glad to have it though cloud9.gif

I know what you mean by a "mixed reaction". Your #70 went for a fraction of what some have paid for that book. Great pickup for you of course 893applaud-thumb.gif I guess we'll really see those prices climb if we're both shooting for the same book sumo.gif

Well thats true, and fortunate for me I have most of what you need already. But I don't fancy trying to move back into your stronghold of the early TTA number's, at $3k a pop for the early 9.4's, doesn't make for nice buying.

And the bumb-arse that paid big bucks for the first recent sale of a #70 in 9.6 was a more nieve me, so between the two copies I figure it even's out. But the the $500 for the second copy was a veritable steal.

New book purchased from a board member. Great cover: the Surfer looks like he's walking his "pet Hulk"!!!

tta93f.jpg

Korvac, very nice pick up! thumbsup2.gif

I have to say one of my more favourite TTA's, and the scarcest silver age appearance of the Surfer to boot!

For some reason there is alot of near misses for this book, and I've yet to see a sinlge copy that truly impresses me in the grading stakes, and I've had upwards of 6 9.4's go through my hands, and 2 9.6's.

ok, here's 3 of the top 4 books. Each upon immediate viewing of these basic scan's flaws can be observed.

And Korvac, the distinction between your very sharp 9.4 copy and one these 9.6 copies is very small indeed. I was always expecting more from these books. But like I said, there seems to be something about this book, no copy truly stands out as being distinctly flawless on immediate viewing.

tta939-2.jpgTTA-93-9624-1.jpg

tta939-3.jpg

ok, here's 3 of the top 4 books. Each upon immediate viewing of these basic scan's flaws can be observed.

And Korvac, the distinction between your very sharp 9.4 copy and one these 9.6 copies is very small indeed. I was always expecting more from these books. But like I said, there seems to be something about this book, no copy truly stands out as being distinctly flawless on immediate viewing.

tta939-3.jpg

893whatthe.gif

yay.gifacclaim.gifhail.gif

In the interest of comparing the CGC-intangibles among pedigrees, Pymsy, which of the copies has the most intense colors and whitest whites? From the scans, the winner would appear to be the Western PA copy.

tta939-3.jpg

Miswraps seem to be very common with this book. My copy has a FC to BC miswrap as do the Boston and Western Penn if I'm not mistaken. The Winnepeg

and that first copy you show have that "diagonal" miswrap. Unfortunate that bad production quality has marred so many HG examples of this book. frown.gif

In the interest of comparing the CGC-intangibles among pedigrees, Pymsy, which of the copies has the most intense colors and whitest whites? From the scans, the winner would appear to be the Western PA copy.

Front cover's are all good, its the back cover's which really separates them. I haven't seen the WP copy in person, so hopefulyy that might be the odd one out?. I bought my first 9.4 off Bob's Storms a few years back, it was a white pages copy, and the L:ondon dealer and I were agast when it arrived as the back cover was only a slight shade off from the brown front cover!

But the Boston has a reasonably respectable back cover, and the other nameless 9.6 is close. It would be nice to have a look at the Pacific Coast copy in Doug's collection. I do have the next best thing, which is PC #92, and the back cover is more off-white than the Boston copy, so I guess the PC #93 must be similar.