• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

Ok, I just got this book a little while ago, and I have to say it's been a firm favourite for most of the time I've been a collector. So to get this copy for me is simply fantastic. I know there are higher graded copies about, but that doesn't concern me, this copy is simply stunning!

TTA-92-96PC.jpg

Also I wanted to show a more recent pick up from the clink. Again a stunning example for the latter part of this run. And you can see why Sten Lee whenever referencing TTA in other books he called it the 'Hulk' series. RADD5FF82006623_1744.jpg

Edited by Mr Pym

Ok, I'm chomping on the bit here...I'll go for a tic-tac toe for the heck of it....

Here is the big one...is scarcity terms. Stunnigly to all concerned the 9.6 copy of this book sold on Pedigree for $1250.00 recently. Which even to myself and another die hard TTA collector was outrageous. But someone obviously knew what they were after.

This cover in particular always conjure's a very 60's feel. Just the stylising of the city-scape, the body postitioning, and the colour's all say sixties. Which outside of books purposely directed to capture the times, is something I can't say of comic book cover's. They always have a feel, and distinguish themsleves as a stand alone art form of their respective decades, only adhering in terms of other earlier comic books...funnily enough. TTA-78-9424.jpg

GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. 893applaud-thumb.gif

And the proceeds from their sale will make a nice down payment on the rock for the engagement ring. poke2.gif

GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. 893applaud-thumb.gif

And the proceeds from their sale will make a nice down payment on the rock for the engagement ring. poke2.gif

The old well used phrase "not over my dead body" springs to mind!

Ok, I just got this book a little while ago, and I have to say it's been a firm favourite for most of the time I've been a collector. So to get this copy for me is simply fantastic. I know there are higher graded copies about, but that doesn't concern me, this copy is simply stunning!

TTA-92-96PC.jpg

Stephen Donnelly has the original artwork for this cover, available for trade or sale on his CAF Galleries. Likely to be expensive, but if folks are willing to pay bags of $$$s for high grade copies of the comic-book, the original art doesn't seem like an unrealistic option . . .

I own the original covers to #s 96 and 98, incidentally, which are my favourite Sub-Mariner (cover) images of the TTA run.

This cover in particular always conjure's a very 60's feel. Just the stylising of the city-scape, the body postitioning, and the colour's all say sixties. Which outside of books purposely directed to capture the times, is something I can't say of comic book cover's. They always have a feel, and distinguish themsleves as a stand alone art form of their respective decades, only adhering in terms of other earlier comic books...funnily enough. TTA-78-9424.jpg

I agree the cover is very representative of the period. But Colan inked by Colletta, not one of my favorite combinations!

Picked this up on eBay a few months ago. My first TTA.

tta13fr.jpg

Never seen this one before. Cool book!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Ditto, and I thought I'd seen all of them. Very cool, and somewhat surreal if you don't mind me adding.

Ok Steve, I hope you don't mind. I picked this up from Doug in a heart beat when you offered up your TTA's. I quite frankly I'm surprised you didn't hang onto at least one book of your run...and if it was to be, I thought it would certainly be this one. TTA-93-9624.jpg

Ok, here's a new addtion to the TTA census. An extremely high grade #70. This book is simply stunning! Published the same monthas FF #41 to give you a chronological feel, and print run of 224,346. Which in the scheme of the print run of this ttile isn't to bad, in fact quite good

TTA was a slow burner, (but highly succressful in modern terms!), with the print run increasing throughout the entirety of the run. It hit the 200K print run figure at issue #51, and made the 250k figure at issue #75, finishing out at issue #101 with 277,857! (same date FF #74 344,865). And just is case your curious, issue #27 139,167 thumbsup2.gif

tales2astonish70.jpg

Edited by Mr Pym