• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

Seeing copies of #2 and #71 here on the same page I am struck by the similarities, and the differences. an awful lot changed in the intervening years, but the garish colors, the BEMs, and the babes in rocket suits essentially remained the same, and have cast a very long shadow.

The other thing #2 has in common with #71 (and other late issues) is scarcity and demand. [A vg copy of #2 sold on Ebay the other day for a whopping sum.]

Planet Comics #2 CGC 6.5.jpg

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Seeing copies of #2 and #71 here on the same page I am struck by the similarities, and the differences. an awful lot changed in the intervening years, but the garish colors, the BEMs, and the babes in rocket suits essentially remained the same, and have cast a very long shadow.

The other thing #2 has in common with #71 (and other late issues) is scarcity and demand. [A vg copy of #2 sold on Ebay the other day for a whopping sum.]

Very striking colors

3 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Planet #2, one of my favorite comics (what a cover!) - great copy, Michael. :cloud9:

11 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Planet #2, one of my favorite comics (what a cover!) - great copy, Michael. :cloud9:

Thanks Steve. Like the end of run books, #2's cover colors usually seem to endure as printed, don't they? The only 'variants' I've seen appear to be slightly sunfaded, rather than underinked. Someone on these boards has a better CGC graded copy, 7.0(?). And was it Dan or Andy who bought the Larson? There is a 9.4 on the census - dont know if that is the Larson, or perhaps Church? But then there is a huge gap - no VF copies as I recall. Of course the situation changes all the time...

About time for you to repost your stonking early copies, Steve!

Edited by Flex Mentallo

1 minute ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Thanks Steve. Like the end of run books, #2's cover colors usually seem to endure as printed, don't they? The only 'variants' I've seen appear to be slightly sunfaded, rather than underinked. Someone on these boards has a better CGC graded copy, 7.0(?). And was it Dan or Andy who bought the Larson? There is a 9.4 on the census - dont know if that is the Larson, or perhaps Church? But then there is a huge gap - no VF copies as I recall. Of course the situation changes all the time...

About time for you to repost your stonking early copies, Steve!

I haven't seen a color variant on Planet 2, the cover is always striking to me.

Dan has the Larson.

I need an upgrade on Planet 6 (even the Larson is water-stained, it's in Berk's collection), but it's a toughie.