• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:47 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

That is a good question.

Will that rising tide raise all ships? I thought after the massive number Startling 49 got recently we would see a lot of copies surface and a 4.0 that was $2k would now maybe bring $3000-3500, but there have not been a lot of copies since then and I have not seen a huge bump.

I think if/when it happens you will see a marginal increase in interest and prices in the lower and mid grade copies and a nice bump for higher grade books. These books will remain huge outliers though. In several cases even a 9.0 is significantly higher than the current highest on gpa. I really believe a Church copy of 65-66 and 70-72 would sell for a surprising amount and those books are not really uncommon. I know my sales thread would be epic the month before that auction. meh

What Planet Comics were even in the Church collection ?

Contains the entire run from what I have learned.

There is a man with the entire run of Church Planet Comics and a hoard of Fantastic 3's? I think it is time for him to cash out on those.:baiting:

That being said, I would probably only be able to pick up one or two of the Planets and call it a day. I would probably just sell half my stuff and do what it took to get the 65. hm

14 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

That one always reminds me of Schomburg's cover for "Step to the Stars".

2334286754_cc60a8c381_o.jpg

14 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

That one always reminds me of Schomburg's cover for "Step to the Stars".

2334286754_cc60a8c381_o.jpg

I can see the association. Did not know that Schomburg existed. Thanks for sharing.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:15 AM, kelholt said:

My newest Planet:

IMG_8052.JPG

BB-Gun got me to thinking about these covers

one thing I have always been "amused" with concerning Planet interiors and some covers are the ideas of what the future should look like as seen in their futuristic designs. Some of those futuristic designs leave me scratching my head. This cover is the perfect example. Assuming that space travel and all the advancements this has given mankind, but we still have a foot shaped "gas pedal" on the floor to make the space ship go ? 

1 hour ago, kelholt said:

BB-Gun got me to thinking about these covers

one thing I have always been "amused" with concerning Planet interiors and some covers are the ideas of what the future should look like as seen in their futuristic designs. Some of those futuristic designs leave me scratching my head. This cover is the perfect example. Assuming that space travel and all the advancements this has given mankind, but we still have a foot shaped "gas pedal" on the floor to make the space ship go ? 

Heh,

I never noticed the pedal before, it is amusing.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=180716

See my latest pages  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/167387-original-art-and-recreations/?page=4

th_The%20Killing%20Joke_zpsnofn1qkc.jpgth_Incredible%20Hulk%20181_zpsijmg2iaw.jth_Detective%20880_zpsuvuymszu.jpgth_MDS00156_zpsiwxj9fek.jpgth_MarvelComics1fullcolorart_zps10cb6cbbth_TheWalkingDead_INKED-1.jpgth_Colorfinish_zps31571c15.jpgth_Batman%20700_zpsxtojdoz7.jpg

19 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I thought my $1100 proxy bid might take this. I was quite wrong.  

10B4D8D8-9A63-41BE-9264-E1CFF9D34ED8_zps

I was in on that auction too. I only own 1 piece of OA so it really is not in "my wheel house", but Planets are always in my wheel house and Lost World is my favorite storyline in the run. That being said, I went stronger than you on it, but fell short by 3-4 bids.

one thing that made me try harder to pick this up is the "practice sketches" she did in the lower left underneath all the panels and a note that says"let little draw hydrator". Wondered if that was her hinting to editor or an editors suggestion to someone else. 

27 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I thought my $1100 proxy bid might take this. I was quite wrong.  

10B4D8D8-9A63-41BE-9264-E1CFF9D34ED8_zps

4 minutes ago, kelholt said:

I was in on that auction too. I only own 1 piece of OA so it really is not in "my wheel house", but Planets are always in my wheel house and Lost World is my favorite storyline in the run. That being said, I went stronger than you on it, but fell short by 3-4 bids.

one thing that made me try harder to pick this up is the "practice sketches" she did in the lower left underneath all the panels and a note that says"let little draw hydrator". Wondered if that was her hinting to editor or an editors suggestion to someone else. 

:martini:(my celebratory martini)

44 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

:martini:(my celebratory martini)

Congratulations.

FYI, Jon Berk owns page 5 from this story and it might be for sale in the May CC auction. They sure would look nice framed together...

10 minutes ago, kelholt said:

Congratulations.

FYI, Jon Berk owns page 5 from this story and it might be for sale in the May CC auction. They sure would look nice framed together...

Thanks GG and Kelly!

Kelly, thanks for the tip. The May CC auction is going to be insane.

Leafing through Planet #37 on Comic Book Plus, the amazing splash page for this same story caught my eye -- it was auctioned off at HA some time ago (Aug. 13, 2005, to be precise). Wonder if Jon Berk owns that page too...

12 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks GG and Kelly!

Leafing through Planet #37 on Comic Book Plus, the amazing splash page for this same story caught my eye -- it was auctioned off at HA some time ago (Aug. 13, 2005, to be precise). Wonder if Jon Berk owns that page too...

Big congrats! I even was still considering it at the end.  

14 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks GG and Kelly!

:gossip: yes he owns that one too.

That splash page will be chased by me for sure.