• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, GermanFan said:

Uk Reprint from the early 50s.

planet.png

Awesome pickup!

25 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

That's not from the early 1950s. I believe that was reprinted in the UK much later.

According to GCD, this is from the 1951 UK series by R & L Locker, unless GCD is incorrect. Are you maybe thinking of later UK Planet reprints?

Just now, Point Five said:

Awesome pickup!

According to GCD, this is from the 1951 UK series by R & L Locker, unless GCD is incorrect. Are you maybe thinking of later UK Planet reprints?

I could well be wrong of course but my main reason for doubting the timeline on this issue is the price. Comic books were sold in the UK (in old money) at a cover price of 9d. They were increased to 10d in 1965. These price marks were usually in black smudgy ink made by Thorpe & Porter who handled the importation. Of course these could have been just the mainstream DC titles as Marvel had their own price variants. I really could be wrong but the One shilling price just doesn't sit well for a book that was supposed to be sold in 1950s Britain. For one thing that is extremely expensive for that time.

Its by Locker. No date info inside. But its quite thick, 68 pgs. Maybe thats the reason for the high price?  Looks like a fifties book to me. Its not imported. Printed in Britain.

Anyway I get more and more intersted in 40s & 50s foreign comics reprinting US Material esp. UK/Aus and Mex. & S.A. I believe much of this material is quite rare.

Edited by GermanFan

1 hour ago, GermanFan said:

But its quite thick, 68 pgs. Maybe thats the reason for the high price?

I think you're right. I have a few of these too  :whistle:  and they definitely have that GA/vintage feel. I love the interiors.

Maybe it was priced higher because of page count, kind of like the 25-cent Fox giants in the US circa the early 50s.

5 hours ago, Point Five said:

I have to admit... it's kind of nice to hear you say that.  :wink:

2jz96t.jpg

I've never seen a full set before. Particularly pleased to see the 'Planet #19'. And the reds on the '53' show very deep. The '#18' is the mystery - why choose to alter the cover colors? For comparison:

Planet Comics #18 CGC 6.5.jpg

59 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I've never seen a full set before. Particularly pleased to see the 'Planet #19'. And the reds on the '53' show very deep. The '#18' is the mystery - why choose to alter the cover colors? For comparison:

Planet Comics #18 CGC 6.5.jpg

Purple Planet :luhv:

12 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Gorgeous copies!  :headbang:

On 19/03/2017 at 10:06 AM, comicjack said:

Purple Planet :luhv:

It's the Toledo copy. The previous label showed it. After I had it regraded, it got a bump from 6.0, the 'Minor color touch' annotation appeared, and of course, CGC no longer recognize the 'pedigree'. I'm sure there is a moral in there somewhere!

Just now, Flex Mentallo said:

It's the Toledo copy. The previous label showed it. After I had it regraded, it got a bump from 6.0, the 'Minor color touch' annotation appeared, and of course, CGC no longer recognize the 'pedigree'. I'm sure there is a moral in there somewhere!

At least it doesn't have a new ugly label :whee: