• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I can't remember which exact issues, but I think a couple of the "all reprint" issues may have new stories with Benulis art.....a fave of mine from the Atlas stable. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

5 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Yep. #71 - #73 were mostly - if not all - new material. This story appeared in an IW reprint that was in circulation in the UK when I was a  kid, circa 1960. I had no notion of an earlier age of comics so the downbeat tone, and the overlay of horror, caused me to remember this story long after. Eventually I tracked down the source to Planet #72, so of course I had to spend many more years finding a nice copy...

Planet 72_11 (2).jpg

Thanks Jimjum and Flex for pointing this out. I hadn't realized there was all-new material in #71-73. And yes, Benulis had a role in those issues, as per comics.org (not that I doubted you!). 

Never heard of Bill Benulis. Here's a couple fun panels from his story in Planet #72 from Comic Book Plus:

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.50.59 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.51.44 AM.jpg

2 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks Jimjum and Flex for pointing this out. I hadn't realized there was all-new material in #71-73. And yes, Benulis had a role in those issues, as per comics.org (not that I doubted you!). 

Never heard of Bill Benulis. Here's a couple fun panels from his story in Planet #72 from Comic Book Plus:

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.50.59 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.51.44 AM.jpg

Bill's career in comics was brief...... his best material, IMHO, were the stories he inked himself. If you care to look at more, he's in the creator index at www.atlastales.com ..... well worth a look. GOD BLESS...

4 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Bill's career in comics was brief...... his best material, IMHO, were the stories he inked himself. If you care to look at more, he's in the creator index at www.atlastales.com ..... well worth a look. GOD BLESS...

Cool! I'll look him up.

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

This is a de-slabed 8.5, IIRC. Always liked this cover...

fb626c3e-4e34-4dc5-bb06-e93f084bd1c6_zps

Great copy! This cover has a very "timeless" look to me, like it could have accompanied a Jules Verne novel.

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Another toughie (though the Planet 6 may be a wee bit tougher).

Larson

Planet5.jpg

I really like your copy. The Pinks really show through on yours, don't usually see that.  :foryou:

24 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

You're right Kelly. Finding any copy is hard, but very few out there with colors like the Larson! Here's mine for comparison.

Planet Comics #5 CGC 8.5.jpg

Great colors! Here's mine, in an orange-dominant palette:

Planet5_300dpi_7h_8q_zpsuejzg4cy.jpg

9 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Seeing copies of #2 and #71 here on the same page I am struck by the similarities, and the differences. an awful lot changed in the intervening years, but the garish colors, the BEMs, and the babes in rocket suits essentially remained the same, and have cast a very long shadow.

The other thing #2 has in common with #71 (and other late issues) is scarcity and demand. [A vg copy of #2 sold on Ebay the other day for a whopping sum.]

Planet Comics #2 CGC 6.5.jpg

PlanetComics002copy_zps742709b3.jpg

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Because they are! :cloud9:

I believe Flex's copies have some of the deepest and strongest colour strikes of existing copies out there.  I have seen quite a few of his books (at least pictures of them).  The one common trait that almost all his books have is their amazing and deep cover colours. :)