• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

All solid reasons for collecting Planet, presented by board members of discerning taste. Beautiful cover art and wonderful color, when press inking was handled properly. I’d add something of equal weight were the excellent stories and illustration found inside the books. My favorite was the Futura run; great art and very imaginative. The Star Pirate stories, with art by Anderson, were a delight, as was the Lost World run, with art by Evans, I believe. The PS Artbooks reprints make the interior work available for those whose valuable comics are locked within their graded cases. Wonderful thread, this.

On 1/7/2023 at 4:56 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Nice catch Rick. I'm fairly certain that is the Toledo copy I used to own, before I landed the Jon Berk copy. I made the mistake of having it regraded, and when it came back,  the Toledo appellation had disappeared [because its no longer regarded by CGC as a ped]. Harshly graded if you ask me!

Yes, it is. I owned this one before and let it go and got it back.  You were kind enough to let me know about it’s provenance. 

On 1/8/2023 at 5:14 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Yes, it is. I owned this one before and let it go and got it back.  You were kind enough to let me know about it’s provenance. 

Yes, on reflection, I thought perhaps I'd mentioned it before. But these days, even my own name sometimes escapes me! Erm, what was I saying?

On 1/8/2023 at 5:01 AM, ageofsilver said:

All solid reasons for collecting Planet, presented by board members of discerning taste. Beautiful cover art and wonderful color, when press inking was handled properly. I’d add something of equal weight were the excellent stories and illustration found inside the books. My favorite was the Futura run; great art and very imaginative. The Star Pirate stories, with art by Anderson, were a delight, as was the Lost World run, with art by Evans, I believe. The PS Artbooks reprints make the interior work available for those whose valuable comics are locked within their graded cases. Wonderful thread, this.

PSArtbooks are worth the price of admission. I recall the launch at a London Convention about ten years ago. Very exciting! Repro quality on all their books varies - not the same attention to restoration as bigger publishers, but hey, if the alternative is to crack the CGC shells, I'm not going to be picky!

IMG_20230108_091218.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 1/8/2023 at 3:07 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

PSArtbooks are worth the price of admission. I recall the launch at a London Convention about ten years ago. Very exciting! Repro quality on all their books varies - not the same attention to restoration as bigger publishers, but hey, if the alternative is to crack the CGC shells, I'm not going to be picky!

I have every issue of Planet Comics via PSArtbooks, as well as a half-dozen or so of the original issues. I got the reprints when I worked for Half Price Books and I got them for about $8 apiece – that's right, with my employee discount, about $8 each. I bought every single one.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:52 PM, Spyder! said:

Love this one!

4D386B5F-7DD3-4B3D-8B74-DAD8E77A3B79.jpeg

Good colors there - way better than the average copy! In both yours and the one above, one can see faint patches of deeper color in the Planet letters, so I'd hypothesise [but cant prove] that the first copies off the press may have had even deeper colors. Given the book's scarcity, such a unicorn is probably long extinct, though one never gives up hope.

Here's a pic of the copy I used to own, but let go because of the page quality. [I literally watched fine dust cascade into the bottom of the case every time I disturbed the pages!]

PlanetComics15CGC30_zpsbc62ff75.jpg

Comparing the bottom right hand corner of my former copy with the one I posted earlier, one can see how magenta over yellow was used to model form - and also, that magenta was printed after yellow - and I think almost certainly after cyan. I have no explanation why they might have stinted on the magenta!

@jimjum12 do I remember rightly that you have worked in the print industry? Can you shed any further light on the CMYK process for us?

PlanetComics15CGC30_zpsbc62ff75.jpg

planet%2015d_zpsr9seomxq.jpg

Planet #2 Some slabs say Eisner cover, some say Fine cover. The older slabs going back to the 1st gens say Lou Fine. The current slabs say Will Eisner. Who do you think penciled the cover?  It looks like Fine to me but I'm not sure.  ( pic is not my book, got it from the innernet)

pla1.766a.jpg

Edited by Professor K

On 1/18/2023 at 3:06 AM, Professor K said:

Planet #2 Some slabs say Eisner cover, some say Fine cover. The older slabs going back to the 1st gens say Lou Fine. The current slabs say Will Eisner. Who do you think penciled the cover?  It looks like Fine to me but I'm not sure.  ( pic is not my book, got it from the innernet)

pla1.766a.jpg

Look at Jungle comics 5 which Eisner did i see no Fine in this cover.I may be wrong i may be right but Fine was very detailed on the human form but this is a classic without the help of Lou (thumbsu

On 1/18/2023 at 12:06 AM, Professor K said:

pla1.766a.jpg

I’ve also wondered this and asked several people over time. I haven’t been able to get a consensus. I see Fine in it as well. I’m going with a Fine and Eisner collaboration like Planet 5 (thumbsu

Edited by Spyder!
Spelling

On 1/18/2023 at 1:06 AM, Professor K said:

pla1.766a.jpg

Most likely a combination of both.  The flding on the clothing is very Fine-esque, but the layout and monster are more Eisnerish.  If I had to guess I'd say Eisner background and layout, Fine finishes on the characters.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:03 PM, buttock said:

Most likely a combination of both.  The flding on the clothing is very Fine-esque, but the layout and monster are more Eisnerish.  If I had to guess I'd say Eisner background and layout, Fine finishes on the characters.

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.