• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

I picked up the #20 ?

What did the #33 wind up going for?

$3,350

Strong price, but the color strike on that copy is incredible.

I whiffed on all the Planets on my watch list too.  Was after the 41 and the 73 in particular, but managed to sneak over and grab the 8.0 #41 from Dave and Adam's site directly after the auction after seeing the hammer on the 41. :shy: 

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

$3,350

I whiffed on all the Planets on my watch list too.  Was after the 41 and the 73 in particular, but managed to sneak over and grab the 8.0 #41 from Dave and Adam's site directly after the auction after seeing the hammer on the 41. :shy: 

Cant see the sold auctions,:( is there a way?

Edited by Mijael.Levy

11 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I really wanted this 26, the 33, 53 and the 58 Toledo copies in the CC auction. I ended up with 1 out of 4.  Anybody get the others?

IMG_7251.PNG.bbfb556c42db4abdb7d4dc5fee785325.PNG

Good snag, Rick. I had my head under a pillow with the bedroom locked from the outside so I couldn't be tempted. What did the #58 go for? I didnt track that one.

26 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

I was tempted by the 56 too but it wasn´t well centered , it had white on the right edge... How much did it end ?

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=727851&title=PLANETCOMICS 1940-54

$984

A little off-center, but man, knockout color strike.

9 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Agree .. even in mid or high grades its hard to find the right colours for that book 

Here´s an example of the wrong colours ...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=607128

Edited by Mijael.Levy

On 9/6/2017 at 10:07 PM, jimjum12 said:
On 9/6/2017 at 10:04 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Hey Rick: great way to show off our beloved Planet Comics with those splash pages! A few random thoughts:

It's Ingels on the Auro story -- that demonic looking cad along the left side would be right at home in EC PCH title.

The Italian guy doing the Futura story is Enrico Bagnoli. A relatively unsung but amazing artist with brilliant pencil and ink work and a classic romantic style. His short run on Planet is chock full of lush ladies in peril.

As for Baker, dare I say (dare i?) that this was not his finest work, e.g., Mysta's face and hair in this and other panels just appears a bit warped. Seems to me that he saved his best stuff for the non-sci-fi books.

We also have to keep in mind that this was earlier Baker...... his style really evolved going into the 50's..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

+1

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Wow!  This really looks like an unlabeled pedigree copy. hm

Sure does, it really is a stunner in every regard.

Got it long ago from Chuck Wooly, don't know if that name rings a bell to anyone but you he used to put out an auction catalog back in the day and he also did the pamphlet book on DC pre-hero (yellow binding with an image of the iconic panel from More Fun 14 on the cover).

40 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Sure does, it really is a stunner in every regard.

Got it long ago from Chuck Wooly, don't know if that name rings a bell to anyone but you he used to put out an auction catalog back in the day and he also did the pamphlet book on DC pre-hero (yellow binding with an image of the iconic panel from More Fun 14 on the cover).

I remember Chuck. I bought quite a few books from him in the day.

12 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

$3,350

Big bucks, Planets generally all seem to be progressively increasing in price over the last year or two

Edited by jhutton2