• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todays Underground by freak brothers

129 posts in this topic

That is quite a cover! I really like the blue and yellow colors. I'm looking forward to your daily covers. After 22 years collecting comics, I'm still not familiar with underground comics outside of Zap 1.

When I first heard of the Haight Ashbury Pedigree, being unfamiliar with the underground comic scene of the era, I thought this would be just another pedigree. If memory serves correctly, the Haight Ashbury Pedigree came shortly after the Savannah and Twin Cities collections came to the market. I remember thinking to myself: "Here we go again" and how we would hear about how this was the nicest collection ever seen by the online auction house power players. I was pleasantly surprised to find this was all undergorunds. While I'm not a collector of undergrounds, I was excited for those who do collect them to get a chance at a unique pedigree.

scan0016_zpsamjcnvgd.jpg

Disney accused the artists responsible for this comic (who referred to themselves as the Air Pirates) of copyright infringement, trademark infringement, unfair competition, intentional interference with business, and trade disparagement through the wrongful use of its characters. Unlike most undergrounds this book only has 1 printing.

As far as I know the Haight Ashbury pedigree was an OO collection purchased by one person over a period of years. This person never read the books but knew they were important and to take really good care of them. The owner decided to sell them several years ago and Howard Greber "EggsAckley" as he was known here contacted him and bought the entire collection. It is the first UG pedigree recognized by CGC. The collection went to market last year and commanded very high prices. The majority of these books are unbelievably high grade with lots of 9.8s as well as 1 9.9

Todays book is Zap Comix #7 Haight Ashbury Pedigree. Despite being a 9.2 it is in the 10 top copies graded. 3 in 9.2, 7 higher

th_lf1WQL6WW6_zpsnymo3kz2.jpg

Great idea for a journal! Your excitement for u-comix will no doubt be infectious.

wpbooks posted this over in Magazines... but in honor of your Haight Ashbury pedigreed book!

Clarion Alley, San Francisco, CA 04/10/16

KIMG0117_zpsplnkguoy.jpg

KIMG0120_zpstw2ovxpz.jpg

I might as well add Air Pirates #2

th_scan0002_zpsdzqcdwbu.jpg

That Air Pirates #2 is a beauty... and seems to be the tougher of the two to find in high grade.

129 copies in the census for #1

59 copies for #2... though there are 9.8s in existence for both books.

Todays book is an untrimmed copy of Zap #0 previously owned by Graham Nash.

th_lfW6IDD1YP_zps5qlbtg2v.jpg

Great book... perhaps one of the most inconic underground comix covers for me!

I remember the first time I saw this book, I was blown away... what were underground comix?

How come I'd never heard of them before?

All these questions that eventually lead me to a 2-decade love affair with u-comix.

Here is another untrimmed Zap Comix #0 1st.

I know of perhaps one more ( ComicWiz ) ... but that is it! Certainly <5 copies...

zap0_untrimmed2.jpg

(I paid $500 for mine from ComicWiz & am happy to own it).

(I sold my CGC 9.4 to Howard in 2009)

Fat Freddys Cat in high grade is a very difficult series to collect. There is only 1 CGC graded copy of this book(the Haight Ashbury pedigree which went for roughly 55x guide).

scan0026_zpsdsuxvrsr.jpg

I was wondering if you were aware this is the second printing of Fat Freddy's Cat #1? I only ask because it appears the rest of the books you are posting are first printings.

Fat Freddys Cat in high grade is a very difficult series to collect. There is only 1 CGC graded copy of this book(the Haight Ashbury pedigree which went for roughly 55x guide).

scan0026_zpsdsuxvrsr.jpg

I was wondering if you were aware this is the second printing of Fat Freddy's Cat #1? I only ask because it appears the rest of the books you are posting are first printings.

This was one of the comix that had a lot of info. lost in the old forums (all the Freak Brothers additional printings of the #1 was probably the biggest loss). I found differences in the back covers of this series that added an additional printing that wasn't posted before, if I recall correctly.